PDA

View Full Version : 45/45/10

Gliden07
09-06-2012, 05:58 PM
Just made my first batch of 45/45/10. I have a question though, after mixing and cooling it went semi solid is that the way its suppose to be or did I do something wrong?? I reread the sticky it didnt really say?

Thanks!!

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-06-2012, 07:21 PM
That is how mine turns out...or as I put it, the consistancy of peanut butter.
my first batch wasn't stored in a tightly sealed container,
after a few weeks, it got more solid, like shoe polish as
the solvents evaporated more.

I like the peanut butter consistancy, I apply it to about 100 boolits at a time,
I scoop out about the same volume as one or two of the boolits I am applying it to.
then I use a heatgun to heat the boolits/lube/bowl til everything is gently heated,
and the lube is almost completely melted...but not quite, then swirl. I dump the warm boolits
on wax paper, by the time the boolits are cooled, the lube has dried nicely, about 10 or 15 minutes.
Jon

btroj
09-06-2012, 07:41 PM
Heat it a bit before use.

That is exactly what mine is like. Works like a charm.

Sounds like you nailed it.

Green Frog
09-06-2012, 08:52 PM
When Dale53 and I made up our initial (and so far only) batch of Recluse Lube (45-45-10) a couple of months ago, it was about peanut butter-like in consistency when cold. We heated it in a double boiler IIRC to get it ready for immediate use. I assume Mr 53 will chime in here soon with his further notes on how he is using it now for his Lee 32 TL WC bullets that he is currently loading in prodigious numbers. :Fire::Fire::Fire:

Froggie

Gliden07
09-06-2012, 11:15 PM
Cool!! I just wanted to make sure! Loaded 50 to see how they work. Still working up the load for my Kimber. Last batch had a little to much crimp and used the LLA as it comes from the bottle. A little smokie but I had no feed problems. Hoping this stuff curbs some more of the smoke.

runfiverun
09-06-2012, 11:16 PM
i keep mine covered or it will go hard.
this is what it's supposed to do or it won't dry on your boolits.

huntrick64
09-08-2012, 10:30 AM
Put your lube container in really hot water for about 10 minutes before you try to squirt it on the bullets. That will liquify it. Put a few handfulls of bullets in your tumble container and hit them with a blow dryer on HIGH while you circulate the container like when you distrubute the lube. Usually in about 1 minute the boolits are too hot to hold bare handed and I then squirt on the lube ( the letter "Z" across the bullets) and tumble again till they are all shiney (30 seconds) and dump them on wax paper to dry. 15 minutes later, they are dry and you can load or size. If you have to size them, just dump them back in your container after you size them and reheat with blowdryer while tumbling. The lube melts again and redistributes over the sized area. Dump out to cool again and then load. I never have to squirt lube after sizing, just reheat them.

Gliden07
09-08-2012, 11:44 AM
Put your lube container in really hot water for about 10 minutes before you try to squirt it on the bullets. That will liquify it. Put a few handfulls of bullets in your tumble container and hit them with a blow dryer on HIGH while you circulate the container like when you distrubute the lube. Usually in about 1 minute the boolits are too hot to hold bare handed and I then squirt on the lube ( the letter "Z" across the bullets) and tumble again till they are all shiney (30 seconds) and dump them on wax paper to dry. 15 minutes later, they are dry and you can load or size. If you have to size them, just dump them back in your container after you size them and reheat with blowdryer while tumbling. The lube melts again and redistributes over the sized area. Dump out to cool again and then load. I never have to squirt lube after sizing, just reheat them.

Reheating the Boolits after sizing and just using the lube thats already there is a GREAT idea!!

41mag
09-09-2012, 07:28 AM
I found that using a vacuum seal bag works the best for me. I guess I simply got tired of finding some of my boolits with dings and such around the bases when I rolled them in a bowl. Using the bag I can gently tumble them in my hands and get them lubed up very quickly and gently.

This said my batch is almost exactly like yours. I use a popsicle stick, with a dab on the end about as big as the stick is wide. This will usually easily do one to two hundred boolits. I warm them up with the hair drier as mentioned, then gently pour them into the bag, add the lump of lube, and roll them around. After sizing, I put them back into the bag and simply blow the hot air in on top. This warms the lube on the sides of the bag and the boolits at the same time. Roll them around once again and gently pour them out on a sheet of wax paper. By the time I can get my sizing or seating die screwed into my press they are usually cooled down, dry, and ready for either sizing or loading.

So far I have used this for almost every boolit I have poured, with velocities ranging form around 650 up to just under 1750 from my 454. The specific lube groove type has not made any differences what so ever. I do however admit that some of these have been GC'ed when used for the higher pressure loads.

Pitchnit
09-12-2012, 10:46 PM
I have a desk light on my bench with a 60 watt bulb. Put a 100 or so in a butter tub and let them heat up for 5-10 minutes. Put my lube in a old dishsoap bottle. Microwave for 10 seconds shake it up good and add a small squirt. I have also done 400-500 ina big tub and just be gentle tumbling so not to beat them up. Regards-Pitchnit

Taylor
09-15-2012, 07:18 PM
Same here,warm it up in some hot water.