PDA

View Full Version : Spencer 56-50

69daytona
09-06-2012, 05:27 PM
Have a friend with a very nice Spencer in 56-50 with the conversion kit to make it center fire.
I would like to know what you guys are using for brass for this gun and is there someone making rimfire cases that use a 22 blank to the charge?

I saw an article in handloader about someone doing this but never had access to a gun that needed it.

Also anyone cast or have a mould for this caliber?

herbert buckland
09-06-2012, 06:10 PM
Have a friend with a very nice Spencer in 56-50 with the conversion kit to make it center fire.
I would like to know what you guys are using for brass for this gun and is there someone making rimfire cases that use a 22 blank to the charge?

I saw an article in handloader about someone doing this but never had access to a gun that needed it.

Also anyone cast or have a mould for this caliber?Brass can be made from 50-70,32ga brass shot shells or Starline mahes 56-50 brass that I use,some say the smaller rim in this brass does not work in originals,I have found that after anealing it has worked in every one of the 23 1865 Spencer carbine and rifles I have tryed it in.For a mould you will have to slug the breach end of the rifling,most of these guns hav taperd bores and groove diameter can varey from .515 to .525,BACO sells moulds for the 56-50 of the right size and weaight,I use the NEI 395gr .525 mould,it can be sized to any size that is needed For powder I use 45grs of heavly compresed Wano FFF with very good results,bullet lubed with bees wax and olive oil and sized through a LEE sizer and CCI LPP for a spark,this is one cartridge were anealing realy does make a diffrence

69daytona
09-07-2012, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the information. I will put it to good use.

KirkD
09-07-2012, 01:52 PM
This was posted on another forum .... "Confirmed today that in about 2 months the availability of Jamison brass will be back. All the former Jamison employees have signed on with the new company that is operating out of Rapid City SD called Cap Tech.
They are setting up the equipment now, and working on a new website . So standby oh yee shooters of obscolete stuff, new brass is once again coming available"