PDA

View Full Version : Buffer and pattern

grrifles
09-06-2012, 04:18 PM
On average how much does adding buffer to buckshot help the pattern?

Thanks Chris

35remington
09-06-2012, 06:45 PM
Can't tell you. The increase depends upon how heavy the shot charge is (heavier shot charges squish the bottom pellets more, and benefit more from buffer) and how hard the shot is. Harder shot supposedly benefits less than softer shot, but all benefit.

Also depends upon how fast the load is going and how high the chamber pressure is. The loads that suffer the most from setback deformation tend to be higher pressure loads, heavier shot loads, or in a worst case loads having both of those characteristics.

But to answer the question in an incomplete way, in my Super X-1 I can run the percentages up from 55 to 56 percent to 72 percent with the inclusion of buffer. Load is 1 3/8 ounce Lawrence #5's, 26.5 grains Herco, SP 12 wad, Win 209 primer, and Federal paper basewad hull. Only difference is one load has buffer and the other does not.

grrifles
09-06-2012, 11:04 PM
I knew it would not be cut and dry, but you gave me a good idea I ordered some to try

Thanks
Chris

mtgrs737
09-09-2012, 11:27 AM
Be careful with buffer, it can raise chamber pressures of some loads. Benifits are great but not at the expense of safety.