PDA

View Full Version : out of round brass

rfp357
09-06-2012, 02:01 PM
I just got into reloading and wanted to know if it is safe/acceptable to reload using cases that are out of round like these. After I decap and resize them most seem to come out ok.

I use a Lee Pro1000 press and was also wondering how I can keep the bullets from shaving lead while seating the bullet. I adjusted the powder thru die down as far as it will go in order to bell the case mouth enough. The bullets I'm using are not chamfered on the bottom.

bobthenailer
09-06-2012, 02:04 PM
I usually reuse them unless there severly damaged .

Tom W.
09-06-2012, 02:17 PM
A common occurrence with .45 acp brass. Unless they are too terribly deformed they will work just fine. As you noticed. resizing will usually take care of the problem.

rond
09-06-2012, 02:27 PM
Make sure the shell carrier is going all the way up on your press, one of the other dies may be screwed in to far, stopping the carrier.

wv109323
09-06-2012, 08:26 PM
It is fine to use those cases. Make sure they are O.K. after being resized and the mouth is O.K. after being belled out.
The belling of the case mouth should eliminate shaving of the lead. Make sure that the bullet is fully seated before the crimp is applied to the case. You could be crimping the case before the bullet is fully seated. This will cause shaving of lead and hurt your accuracy.

uscra112
09-06-2012, 10:27 PM
Round them out by running them onto the M-die first, (but not enough to flare the mouths). Then size them, then back to the M-die for the flare. Extra work, but no sense throwing out perfectly good cases just 'cause they're a little dinged at the mouth.

fcvan
09-06-2012, 11:19 PM
I've taken smashed brass and straightened it out as well as I could with needle nosed pliers then ran them through the sizer. They generally straighten right out. I've had some with minor dents even after sizing, belling, and boolit seating. Shooting them fire forms them back to normal. If they split I toss them but I've never had one split because they were straightened out and fired. All of my splits have been with either nickel brass or just because I've worn them out. Frank

mannyCA
09-07-2012, 11:50 PM
after doing the initial re-size you can give the case a quarter turn and size again, I've found this to set them pretty much back in round until you can fire-form them.
I also do the needle-nosed pliers thing.

429421Cowboy
09-08-2012, 01:47 AM
Short chunk of dowel works good to reform 1911 mangled brass, i have learned that fireforming will iron most anything out and leave a next to perfect case, provided the gun doesn't mash it again.

Wayne Smith
09-08-2012, 04:48 PM
I have neck sized enough brass down that I can tell you that if there is a crease after you size them you may as well toss them. They will never be adequately accurate with the crease than without it.

After saying that, I use 45ACP brass until it won't fit in the shell holder any more. Then I toss it.

rfp357
09-09-2012, 12:25 AM
after doing the initial re-size you can give the case a quarter turn and size again, I've found this to set them pretty much back in round until you can fire-form them.
I also do the needle-nosed pliers thing.

I tried this technique and so far it has worked well. The cases look good and they look fine after the bullet is seated. Thanks for everyone's help.