PDA

View Full Version : Boreing! not gripping.

Freightman
09-06-2012, 01:02 PM
Took my50th Anniversary Blackhawk 44 Mag to the range this morning had three loads a 44 special load, hot 44 mag load,and a black powder load. Shot the 44 mag load first X ring with one out in the 10 ring 12 shots, changed targets, 44 special load, 12 shots just as good as the other same spot, only loaded 6 BP loads but they shot to the same spot. I am using the grease grove LEE 240gr SWC boolit, couldn't be happier.The recoil of the BP as even less than the 44 sp loads very pleasant but the wind was in my face little smoky.
Now to load a few more than six.

44man
09-06-2012, 03:43 PM
What more can you ask for? Sounds great.

white eagle
09-06-2012, 03:57 PM
how did you fill the black ?
fill the case with slight compression ?
interested

Freightman
09-06-2012, 04:53 PM
33 Gr with slight compression, was pleased that they all hit the BE and the recoil was mild. The clean up was no worse than with the regular just had to do it when I got home as the BP is hygroscopic and will attract moister, wouldn't have did clean up that fast last week as we were dry 10% RH but we got a 1.5" rain last night and it is sticky wet today.
AllI could ask for is more time and a little more money but the way thing are going up that just aint gona happen.

tek4260
09-06-2012, 09:19 PM
Do you completely tear down and clean after shooting black? I shot a few, but afterwards tore the revolver completely down to clean. Don't forget to remove the ERH and boil the spring and rod when you do all the internals.

fcvan
09-06-2012, 11:39 PM
I used to shoot a lot of Pyrodex through a percussion revolver. At the end of the day I removed the grips and cylinder and wash in hot soapy water. After a hot water rinse I ran an oily patch through the bore and sprayed inside of the cylinder, the tigger group, and indexing pawl with WD40. Another patch in each chamber then wipe the gun down with my rag, and reassemble. Cleaning took 5 minutes, cleaning the sink so the mrs. wouldn't freak took a few minutes more. There were times I removed the trigger guard to check the internals but they were clean enough that I never had rust issues. WD40 seemed to be enough to keep fouling from making itself to home.

I plan to run some black through my Vaquero in .45 Colt and will clean/inspect to see if what works for the 1858 Remington copy will work or the Ruger. Frank

44man
09-07-2012, 08:12 AM
I have the Old Army. I remove the grips and wash the whole gun in the laundry tub, never take it apart, just get soap inside and rinse good with hot water, then spray with Barricade all through the gun.
Don't use WD-40, it will gum up the works.

Lloyd Smale
09-08-2012, 06:45 AM
I used to hose my old armys down with windex and then stick them in the diswasher for a cylce then hose them out with rem oil.