PDA

View Full Version : Should I change my reloading setup?

novalty
09-06-2012, 11:21 AM
I have been considering condensing my reloading setup from a RC II with Automatic Bench Primer, and powder measure on stand. (Picture of bench shortly after getting set up)
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m11/novalty1970/Reloading/ReloadingBench007.jpg

...and switching over to just a Redding T7 with Case activated powder measure and primer system. My biggest concern is that most of the cartridges I am loading are small, and the ram travel may just be excessive work. Currently loading or soon to be loading: 9MM, 38 Special, 357 Magnum, 45 ACP, .223 Rem., 25-35 WCF, and 30-30 WCF.
http://ts4.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=4879208109245859&id=abd7d4a6631425439c35236a3d5411d4

Other option I am contemplating is just converting my RC II over to the Hornady Lock-n-Load bushing system. I don't have the mechanical ability, funds, or volume requirement to necessitate a Dillon 550, 650 or other.

**Current picture of my bench, which is kind of what prompted question. Thankfully I have another bench that I will be moving some stuff over to shortly.
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m11/novalty1970/Reloading/CastingEquipmentpics002.jpg

Wayne Smith
09-06-2012, 11:37 AM
I picked up an old True-line Jr several years ago on eBay. I'm using it for pistol cartridges and enjoying the short throw. I'm OCD enough, and enjoy history enough, to be picking up 310 die sets and using them, but I also have the ability to switch it over to use standard dies.

Somehow I prefer to go back in time.

BoolitSchuuter
09-06-2012, 11:38 AM
You have a good set up. Don't replace, enhance it.

wallenba
09-06-2012, 11:43 AM
For the short straight wall case types I'd add a Lee 4 hole turret. It will be faster and a whole lot cheaper than the T7. The T7 is nice, I have one, but it will become tedious rotating it back and forth though. Also, the Lee 4 hole has an adjustable length ram handle. I actually got a piece of steel tube from the local hardware store to make a shorter one rather than cut the original permanantly. This is necessary because the excess rod will bump the underside of the bench.
You can paint it green if you like.;)

P.S. the ' Classic cast' model, not the other one.

429421Cowboy
09-06-2012, 12:14 PM
You have such a versitile system already, that will easily adapt to any cartridge you accuire in the future, i personally wouldn't see a need to make big changes. If you were just starting out and trying to locate the best press for your needs it might be different but the RC II you already have is such a good piece of kit i wouldn't see a reason to change. As wallenba said, maybe an addition of a Lee 4 hole would help though! The Hornady LNL system sure seems handy though, it would speed things up on a single stage pretty nice i bet!

BillP
09-06-2012, 12:21 PM
This is a no brainer if you want to increase production over the single stage...get the T7.

Ickisrulz
09-06-2012, 12:48 PM
You mention a case activated measure and auto primer system. Are you going for a semi-progressive set-up? I say get a Dillon progressive. A Redding turret press is not a substitute for a progressive press.

There isn't anything wrong with the set-up you have.

novalty
09-06-2012, 12:57 PM
You mention a case activated measure and auto primer system. Are you going for a semi-progressive set-up? I say get a Dillon progressive. A Redding turret press is not a substitute for a progressive press.

Was thinking the Redding T7 to cut back on case movement. Right now I do everything in batches: sizing/de-priming, priming, then add powder & seat boolit. By adding a case activated powder system to my Uniflow on top of the Redding, and using their priming arm system, I could place a piece of brass on the press from start (sizing/de-priming) to finish (seating).

Ickisrulz
09-06-2012, 01:12 PM
Was thinking the Redding T7 to cut back on case movement. Right now I do everything in batches: sizing/de-priming, priming, then add powder & seat boolit. By adding a case activated powder system to my Uniflow on top of the Redding, and using their priming arm system, I could a piece of brass on the press from start (sizing/de-priming) to finish (seating).

I have a Redding 25 press. I still do batch style loading. Spinning the turret for each step didn't work for me. The turret is nice to keep dies set-up though.

LUBEDUDE
09-06-2012, 01:57 PM
I 'm the opposite of Ickisrulz, Spinning a turret is a dream compared to the dark ages of batch loading.

However, if you want to batch load, you have the optiton of single stage loading without changing out your dies.

You can have your cake and eat it too.

1Shirt
09-06-2012, 03:49 PM
Decisions, decisions! I would add a turret and at this point call it good!
1Shirt!

kd185
09-06-2012, 07:07 PM
ive posted this on cb before but it is suitable for this conversation
go to the T7
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-Gzop27JINYw/TnHf-8VpTXI/AAAAAAAAAeU/dYaCeMLrwxI/s512/2011-09-15%252007.12.13.jpg

Irascible
09-06-2012, 07:21 PM
If you want quantity, the RCBS conversion is as good as any.
Dillons are OK, but the company is somewhat stringent on what the offer. For instance a friend is loading cast for his 44 spcl and mags. Dillon does not offer nor will they make an expander of the appropriate size, so his .432 bullets are being sized down to .429 when seated. I told him to buy a custom size LEE powder die or buy a Dillon 45 plug and turn it down.
Myself I am very happy with batch loading with my Bonanza/Forster press. The dies just snap in and out in 1/2 a second.
As far as your loading bench. Yipes, it looks as cluttered as mine :>) May I suggest some shelves above and below? Also, that light must be shining in your eyes, tape some aluminum foil across the top and down the front to shield your eyes and increase the light going downward. Is one bulb bright enough?

HeavyMetal
09-06-2012, 07:40 PM
The other posters are correct keep the RCII and add to it, many are also correct that a Turret is not a progressive and never will be!

What I would do: hunt up a deal on a Dillon Square Deal! they are out there and for pistol stuff work very well for much less investment than a 550 or 650.

Then use the RCII for rifle stuff or load development and call it a day!

btroj
09-06-2012, 07:44 PM
I can't answer for you. I don't load the same way you do. I don't own the equip,ent you do.

Reloading set ups are a very individual thing. Do what works for you. If it works and makes you happy then do it.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
09-06-2012, 07:47 PM
Keep your current system as you'll really not gain a lot with the other directions your speaking of.

The RCBS bench top priming tool is the best priming tool I've ever used.

The only thing I can see at this point is the problem with your tool mounting.

Google, Under Bench Receiver System and that will cure the tool mounting issue with the best system I have seen or used.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

novalty
09-06-2012, 07:51 PM
ive posted this on cb before but it is suitable for this concersation
go to the T7
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-Gzop27JINYw/TnHf-8VpTXI/AAAAAAAAAeU/dYaCeMLrwxI/s512/2011-09-15%252007.12.13.jpg

kd185, does the powder measure also expand on that Hornady? I see with RCBS case activator you have to buy separate expander to expand & charge in one step.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot: I started looking into that Under Bench Receiver system, and it looks like a terrific idea, also, as you mentioned the RCBS Automatic Bench Priming tool is one of the favorite things on my bench. With my arthritis it makes priming several case easy. Perhaps the biggest down side I see to making the swap to the T7.

Irascible, I have a light in the middle of my room, that light above shines pretty much straight-down, and I have an additional desk top lamp on the right which I can turn on.

JesterGrin_1
09-06-2012, 08:25 PM
Okay I will Throw in My Dime since not long ago I was where you are now.

When I started I listened to the Old Timers tell me get a Single Stage RCBS. And well I ran across someone wishing to sell two of them. An RS-3 and an Old Jr. And I got tired very fast of doing batches lol. But I also knew I did not need to go to a full blown Dillon 550.

Soooooooo I got a Lyman Turret. It was expensive. The turret heads are Expensive and it did not do a very good job. So I kept looking and WA LA I found the Lee Classic Cast Turret Press and did all the reading I could on it. So I took my Can down to Cabela's and got lucky as they had one in the scratch and dent area for 50.00. Just the Box Smelled lol. As a case of Hot Sauce broke and leaked on it lol.

I got a few things for it such as turrets which almost broke me at 10.00 each lol. and brought it home. I liked it so much I sold the Lyman the next day. And the two single stage presses are gathering dust.

So to get down to brass tacks I would have to say get the Lee Classic Cast Turret Press it works great from my little .38 special to my 45-70 and 35 Whelen and can be used as a Self Advancing Turret Press or a Single Stage.

And since you are limited on space I would also highly suggest to get the Pat Marlins Rock Dock.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v453/SHAKERATTLEROLL/IMAG0052.jpg

David2011
09-06-2012, 08:27 PM
The RCBS Automatic Priming Tool is one of my favorite tools as well. Put the Lock 'n Load conversion bushing in your RCII and buy a case of the die bushings. You'll never regret it. It's the single best improvement to my single stage loading ever.

David

Harter66
09-06-2012, 11:46 PM
Your bench is personal. So is mine. Stuff came to me very inexpensively. So I have an RCBS partner press that all of my seating dies are adjusted to and locked. I have a RCII that handles all of the brass sizing,decapping ,and final forming duties . An older RC does the multi step forming and push through boolit sizing. I could set up all 3 for the pistols to size,bell and seat in separate presses but I can get more than enough loaded for most of my shooting needs most of the time. I do have 2 powder measures also, 1 set up for rifle volumes and 1 for pistol volumes.

There are also bolt spaces for 2 MECs and a Pacific shotgun presses.

Huntducks
09-07-2012, 02:50 AM
The other posters are correct keep the RCII and add to it, many are also correct that a Turret is not a progressive and never will be!

What I would do: hunt up a deal on a Dillon Square Deal! they are out there and for pistol stuff work very well for much less investment than a 550 or 650.

Then use the RCII for rifle stuff or load development and call it a day!

I 2nd that one.

Heavy Metal scored a used SDB out your way W/3 die set for $125.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
09-07-2012, 06:28 AM
I'm with jestergrin, keep your current setup, add Hornady LnL bushings to the RCII and add a Lee Classic Cast Turret. I owned one, sold it and still regret selling it. The Lee is more accurate than any other turret and setup properly, much faster than the other brands of turrets by far.

Additionally, it won't cost you nearly as much money as the Redding T7, but is a far superior press.

kd185
09-07-2012, 06:49 AM
yes it can
its set up for 223 in that pic

kd185, does the powder measure also expand on that Hornady? I see with RCBS case activator you have to buy separate expander to expand & charge in one step.

WilliamDahl
09-07-2012, 07:22 AM
I started out with a single stage, then bought a Dillon 450, and then bought a Lee 4-hole turret press. I find that they all have their purposes. The Dillon is great for high volume pistol ammo. The Lee is great for rifle ammo or calibers where I'm producing less than 100 rounds at a time (I'm usually only producing maybe 20 at a time when I'm using it). The single stage is great for using with the Lee bullet sizing dies or when I need to remove a bullet from a loaded round. My reloading bench is 7' x 3' and I currently have it configured where I can work from both sides of it.

imashooter2
09-07-2012, 07:40 AM
Keep the RCII and add a Dillon SDB for the pistol stuff. I used that same setup for a long time before I stumbled into a Dillon 550 so cheap that I couldn't turn it down. The 550 hardly ever gets used. I still load all my pistol ammo on the SDB and most of my rifle ammo on the RC.

WilliamDahl
09-07-2012, 07:51 AM
Keep the RCII and add a Dillon SDB for the pistol stuff. I used that same setup for a long time before I stumbled into a Dillon 550 so cheap that I couldn't turn it down. The 550 hardly ever gets used. I still load all my pistol ammo on the SDB and most of my rifle ammo on the RC.

Doesn't the Dillon Square Deal B use dies of a different thread or size? Personally, I prefer to be able to have all my presses use the same size dies so that I can use the dies in any press if need be. Also, the SDB is only for straight walled pistol cartridges, it will not load bottle neck pistol cartridges or rifle cartridges. Just something to consider...

novalty
09-07-2012, 08:32 AM
I don't have a huge volume of .223 Rem., 25-35 WCF, or 30-30 WCF. So reloading those on the RC II doesn't bother me. Will take another look at Dillon's SDB, as that may be a good resolution to speeding up my straight-wall case production, if it does take different dies then that would be a SDB "Sure Deal Breaker."

Wayne Smith
09-07-2012, 08:56 AM
Doesn't the Dillon Square Deal B use dies of a different thread or size? Personally, I prefer to be able to have all my presses use the same size dies so that I can use the dies in any press if need be. Also, the SDB is only for straight walled pistol cartridges, it will not load bottle neck pistol cartridges or rifle cartridges. Just something to consider...

I don't think so. Their dies tend to be shorter, but the same thread size. Lyman is the company still making different thread size dies with the 310 still being in production.

One thing to consider is that adding a T7 will not solve the long throw problem. Pistol cartridges want a short throw press, true. I have no idea how the throw of the Dillon and the Lee compare.

Irascible
09-07-2012, 12:58 PM
I solved the long/short throw on my Bonanza/Foster press by buying their ball handle conversion and shortening it. Before that, I used no handle except for sizing. I use the original long handle only when sizing rifle or heavily expanded cases.

skeet1
09-07-2012, 01:08 PM
I must agree with JesterGrin_1 The Lee classic turret is what I wish I had started with but then it wasn't available when I started. I am very happy now that I have one and could very easily get rid of all my other presses and not miss them. The cost of the Lee press is also much more reasonable ant any other turret and in my opinion is much better.

Ken

novalty
09-07-2012, 01:34 PM
I solved the long/short throw on my Bonanza/Foster press by buying their ball handle conversion and shortening it. Before that, I used no handle except for sizing. I use the original long handle only when sizing rifle or heavily expanded cases.

I had considered the Forster Co-ax press as well, but after watching this YouTube video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggjFEauLUfc), the length of the stroke pull deterred me--can't imagine doing that hundred of times for the straight-wall cases I do. A similar press that I also liked the looks of is the CH4D 444 H-press.

WilliamDahl
09-07-2012, 05:03 PM
I don't think so. Their dies tend to be shorter, but the same thread size. Lyman is the company still making different thread size dies with the 310 still being in production.

According to Brian Enos' site,

http://brianenos.com/store/dillon.sqdeal.html

I almost always recommend Dillon's RL 550B over the Square Deal B for your first progressive reloading machine for several reasons:

1. The Square Deal B only loads straight-wall pistol cases!
2. Dies are included; however, they only fit the Square Deal. No other dies will work.
3. It doesn't have the leverage, overall strength, or long-term reliability of the RL 550B.
4. It's small, and a little cramped to work on and load with.

It is my understanding that Dillon is the only source for dies for the SDB. If there is only one source for an item, it usually results in higher prices. I prefer to avoid such situations as much as possible.

LUBEDUDE
09-12-2012, 12:57 PM
Man those are really strong points for a 550 over a SDB.

SDB owners really LIKE their presses! However, the key phrase from Brian Enos here is:

"your FIRST progressive reloading machine"

that makes sense.

A pause for the COZ
09-14-2012, 07:26 AM
Get the LEE Classic cast turret.

But I would also keep my eye out for a Piggy Back2 for the Rockchucker.
Never know when you want to knock out a 500 round run of 38 special.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d66/Kelly2215/100_8384.jpg

novalty
10-01-2012, 08:35 AM
I probably should update this thread. Due to a really good can't refuse deal I ended up adding a Redding T7 and have added a Harrell Premium Bench Rest Powder measure. Need to order the RCBS Case Activated Linkage to my Uniflow on the T7. Going to add the Hornady Lock n Load Quick Change Bushings to my RockChucker II. So here is the new set up. Moved my cleaning stuff to a new bench as well as my casting equipment and tumbler & supplies.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m11/novalty1970/Reloading/ReloadingBenchUpdated003_zps1b09328c.jpg

dickttx
10-01-2012, 05:34 PM
Some poster on some forum said it best: "If your turret is not a Lee Classic Turret, all you have is expensive die storage".

jmort
10-01-2012, 05:43 PM
^ I agree

novalty
10-01-2012, 10:00 PM
Some poster on some forum said it best: "If your turret is not a Lee Classic Turret, all you have is expensive die storage".

If I had spent that much money on the turret, I might have the same regard for the Lee Classic Turret.[smilie=1:

pt4u2nv
10-05-2012, 01:28 PM
Get the LEE Classic cast turret.

But I would also keep my eye out for a Piggy Back2 for the Rockchucker.
Never know when you want to knock out a 500 round run of 38 special.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d66/Kelly2215/100_8384.jpg

Been using the Piggy Back for years and once setup they work great. Just did over 1000 223's last week and had them done in no time. Pull Piggy Back off when no need for a progressive and u have your single stage again.