PDA

View Full Version : Casting Shack Suggestions

TXGunNut
09-06-2012, 12:07 AM
I've purchased the ultimate casting/loading tool; an 18X21 steel building! I'll use it for case cleaning, casting, alloy storage/sorting, gun cleaning and will quite possibly store a lawn tractor or two in there as well. Drill press, router table and grinder will likely take up residence there as well, along with an air compressor and at least one table saw. Ventilation will be supplied by a 3030 window on the S end and a 6X6 rollup door on the N end, supplemented by a fan. Should have ample lighting and wall outlets for the tasks at hand. I have at least one workbench from my loading room headed out there and could move a large stainless table from my outdoor kitchen in there as well.
Storage and work surfaces are two areas I'll be working on as soon as finances permit. Starting site work this weekend, building likely going up next weekend.
Any suggestions?

BachelorJack
09-06-2012, 02:36 AM
Plan your electrical and air lines. I also prefer vacuum too. Makes running tools that make chips easier. And it's harder to put those things in after the fact.

Czech_too
09-06-2012, 04:55 AM
Not gonna be big enough for what you're thinkin' of putting in it. How do I know? I built a 16x20 addition off of the garage and after the table saw, router table, band saw, miter saw, other misc. and two work benches, it's gettin' crowded. I do have an old m/c in there to, but no mowers.

Get what ever you can off of the floor and onto the walls.

mold maker
09-06-2012, 06:16 AM
I could fill another 16x20 with the excess in my first 16x20. And it only took 2 years.

Sasquatch-1
09-06-2012, 07:02 AM
I could fill another 16x20 with the excess in my first 16x20. And it only took 2 years.

Storage is kind of like money, The more you have the more you want/need.

TXGunNut
Depending on where you live you may want to consider a dehumidifier.

barrybrice
09-06-2012, 07:15 AM
My suggestion...quickly get the mower and all the woodworking thing into the garage and tell you wife it is to keep it out of the rain and secure while the new shed is being completed. Next start a small wood working project in the garage that you can string out over the next 24 months. It will at least buy you a few extra years of space. Good luck! Congrats on the new space.

Roosters
09-06-2012, 08:21 AM
What I have found in garage and out buildings is plan twice as big as you think you’ll need multiply that by three to build. In four years you might have a little corner you can work in. [smilie=l:
You’ll love it when you get in it. Good luck on the project. Maybe you could post a picture or two of the progress as it goes along.

sargenv
09-06-2012, 10:53 AM
I wish now that I'd bought a larger tough shed for my casting shed.. the unit I got was 8x8 and at the time it was what I could afford for the space i had.. I should have gotten the 8 x 10 with the window on the door in in addition to the window on the off door side.. would have made for a nice cross breeze.

mold maker
09-06-2012, 12:14 PM
Occupy all the floor space before the kids and their kids see it. I just realized how much of their stuff I have. They would have gotten rid of it, If my shed weren't handy. Come to think of it, I'm guilty of the same thing. Got to get a dumpster and clean house.

wymanwinn
09-06-2012, 12:18 PM
i built an 8 x 16 reloading room on an elevated deck to get the powder/primer and gear out of the garage....hated to "change hats" everytime i wanted to reload from woodworking or motorcycle repairs....best move i have ever made....also the best view on the property....

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y132/solvangshootist/the%20Cave/

pretty cozy for one person...me....and still not bad if two are in the room....could've been a bit wider...maybe 10' instead of 8, but i will live...LOL

wyman

Idaho Sharpshooter
09-06-2012, 12:46 PM
I went with a 10x19 unit, with a gambrel dormer roof. 7.5 foot ceiling and a loft that is 5 ft at the peak. I got 140 sq ft up there for storage. If I had room here in town, I would have done 24x24 feet with the loft that same size and an 8ft ceiling.

You never have enough room.

Rich
Sua Sponte

Roosters
09-06-2012, 02:56 PM
My garage started 24x24 with a walk through and a16 foot door for 1 motorcycle. Now it’s 48 x 24 and 2 -16 foot doors. Motorcycle has been gone for a good while and it’s still full !! Corvette, complete line of woodworking tools, table saw, planner, band saw, jointer, dust collection system. Then the metal working tools, mig welder, stick welder, metal saws, torches, 20 ton press plus all the assorted hand tools for both.
Cleaned out a hole for a reloading bench and now slipping in stuff for boolit making. [smilie=b: No trouble with mice not enough room for them. (No offence Gear) :p

Depending on your age it can’t be big enough. If you are in your 30s you need a lot of room. But say if you are 97 a 8x8 would be fine.

Wayne Smith
09-06-2012, 04:08 PM
Do not put wood working equipment to be used in the same space as metal working equipment or anything that you need to keep clean, i.e. casting/reloading equipment. Sanding dust and sawdust gets into everything and, in humid environments, settles, absorbs water, and causes rust. Unless you can establish a system that captures all the dust don't try it. Keep them separate.

crabo
09-06-2012, 05:09 PM
i built an 8 x 16 reloading room on an elevated deck to get the powder/primer and gear out of the garage....hated to "change hats" everytime i wanted to reload from woodworking or motorcycle repairs....best move i have ever made....also the best view on the property....

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y132/solvangshootist/the%20Cave/

pretty cozy for one person...me....and still not bad if two are in the room....could've been a bit wider...maybe 10' instead of 8, but i will live...LOL

wyman

Where's the gun port?

shooter93
09-06-2012, 05:48 PM
When it comes to enough space for reloading, casting, shooting supplies and my business needs....I think I need to install trusses over the 5 acres and partition it off to suit. I haven't convinced Colleen of it yet though.

tcbnick
09-06-2012, 08:16 PM
lots of lights and power outlets, I ran some pvc pipe around the top of the walls and down about 2' from all my benches and power tools so I can plug in my vac hose (shop vac sits in the corner pluged into the pvc). I put copper tubing under the pvc with down tube to everything so I could use a short air hose, (compressor is next to the vac). I like to keep any boxes that come with things just in case, you know, gun boxes, the box that my reloader came in, that kind of stuff, so I found some light weight wire racking and hung that from the ceiling for those. Thats my .02 worth, have fun building it

Nick

TXGunNut
09-06-2012, 11:16 PM
Thanks! Lots of great ideas for when my checking account recovers a bit. And yes, it's too small for storage. I have a 12X16 with a loft for storage. I've seen too many storage sheds housing stuff worth less than the shed.
I only do woodworking out of necessity so it won't be a conflict. Good point about the sawdust, tho.
My reloading operation will remain in a back bedroom with climate controls, will likely keep my moulds there as well.
First plan was to build a 40X40 w/ 14' walls and a vehicle lift, then I remembered I don't like working on cars anymore. :wink: Just as well, I'd have filled it with junk and spent all my time & funds working on a four-wheeled money pit.
Considered plumbing the compressed air but vacuum hadn't occurred to me. That would be nice in my loading room as well.
Nice pics, Wyman. Love the shelving.
Great ideas, guess I better get to work!

mold maker
09-07-2012, 06:37 AM
If you install a vacuum system, use only the Ts and Ls that are made for that purpose. Other wise you'll spend all your time un-stopping it.

Roosters
09-07-2012, 04:51 PM
The dust collection system I have is a Delta with a cyclone and 4 inch lines. Gates for each tool & connections for vacuum hose at various places around . Haven’t had any trouble with dust, even use it to vacuum the vehicles .
My biggest problem is “I’ll keep that I might need it.” After a few years of that what you need is a dump truck or a new place to work !! And you wont need it till 3 days after you throw it away. Murphy’s Law Applies . Build as big as you can afford . Just like shooter 93 said 5 acres would suit me just fine

wallenba
09-07-2012, 04:55 PM
A sofa bed, mini fridge, portable A/C unit and a flat screen. See how long it goes before the wife misses you.:bigsmyl2:

WilliamDahl
09-07-2012, 05:33 PM
Here in Texas, we need air-conditioners in our shops. You really should consider buying one of the cheap 5000-8000 BTU window unit air-conditioners for it. When you are hot and sweaty, you make mistakes.

Personally, I suspect that you are going to find it too small after awhile considering how many things you want to put in it. If I had a rural location, I would probably take some of the modular 40 ft shipping containers and use them for dedicated work areas. I have to think that an 8ft x 40ft reloading room would be enough for me. The woodworking area could be another shipping container and the lawn equipment yet another.

shootinfox2
09-07-2012, 05:57 PM
I am the dog house now. I showed my wife wymans pictures and made the comment that I was jealous of the setup. She said if a three car garage is not enough., ......

Build as big as you can. The extra space is hard to add later.

Fox

Sasquatch-1
09-07-2012, 06:31 PM
I have to think that an 8ft x 40ft reloading room would be enough for me.

You could even set up a bullet trap at one end and shoot 22's in it.:bigsmyl2:

John Wayne
09-07-2012, 09:40 PM
I'd rough in for a toilet and a water line in the slab. Slope the slab slightly so you can rinse the floor. Gable end vents for heat.

TXGunNut
09-07-2012, 10:03 PM
You could even set up a bullet trap at one end and shoot 22's in it.:bigsmyl2:

I'm single. I can shoot into a trap until the smoke alarm goes off. [smilie=l:

TXGunNut
09-08-2012, 06:51 PM
Had a good day doing site work.

ZigZagMarquis
09-12-2012, 09:01 PM
Has anyone thought of putting a fire supression system in their reloading shack?

[smilie=f:

wymanwinn
09-12-2012, 09:35 PM
Has anyone thought of putting a fire supression system in their reloading shack?

[smilie=f:

yup, two heat activated fire sprinklers....;)

TXGunNut
09-13-2012, 10:21 PM
yup, two heat activated fire sprinklers....;)

Good idea. I have a 2# extinguisher in my loading room, if that doesn't get it I'm getting out! Will put a larger one in my casting shack, no water there but an excellent idea.

TXGunNut
09-23-2012, 09:33 PM
Not as much progress this weekend as I'd hoped. Damn near 100 degrees in the shade on this first full day of fall...and I wasn't in the shade! Looking good, tho.

Dunno why I couldn't figure out how to do that yesterday.

Sasquatch-1
09-24-2012, 06:59 AM
Not as much progress this weekend as I'd hoped. Damn near 100 degrees in the shade on this first full day of fall...and I wasn't in the shade! Looking good, tho.

Hate it when I do that. Been one of those days!

Heck, I just thought you moved to Australia!:D

Roosters
09-24-2012, 11:16 AM
I hope you get things turned around or tie downs. . Cooler weather coming hang in there.

TXGunNut
09-24-2012, 08:48 PM
I hope you get things turned around or tie downs. . Cooler weather coming hang in there.

Tie downs have been an issue, 30" anchor runs into a thick layer of clay about 16" down, been adding water and pulling out clay for a couple of days, only two anchors to go. Tie downs not optional here even for a a lead shed, 60mph winds happen at least once a year and 40-50mph are not at all unusual. Had to get a new roof and carport this year because of a little storm this spring.

TXGunNut
09-24-2012, 08:50 PM
Heck, I just thought you moved to Australia!:D

I do have a couple of friends in Hamilton, Victoria that have been after me to to visit them. Would be cool to check out Australia's wine country.

09-24-2012, 09:16 PM
Oh happy day! A man cave. Life is good. If I were to redo mine, I'd put an addition on my cave to house the compressor. Run the air lines into your main building. When the thing cycles, I can't hear the radio or TV. Absolutley ends conversations and make the telephone impossible. ............. and I've got a 36' x 52' x 17' tall cave. A smaller cave would be worse.

TXGunNut
09-24-2012, 10:26 PM
Oh happy day! A man cave. Life is good. If I were to redo mine, I'd put an addition on my cave to house the compressor. Run the air lines into your main building. When the thing cycles, I can't hear the radio or TV. Absolutley ends conversations and make the telephone impossible. ............. and I've got a 36' x 52' x 17' tall cave. A smaller cave would be worse.

Good point, will consider enclosing it. Won't have a TV in the lead shed, have one in the house but gave up on it long ago. Not a big fan of telephones either, pretty sure it won't work surrounded by all that steel. [smilie=1:
A cave the size of yours would be awesome, would probably install plumbing and forget to head in for days @ a time. This one is about twice what I'm planning on needing; should be just right.