PDA

View Full Version : found a .32 smoke pole!

mainiac
05-19-2007, 07:46 PM
Ive been bittin by the muzzle loader bug real bad. Have been toying with the idea of buying the traditions .32 gun,as thats all there is out there that I can find. Went to the gun shop today,and found a near perfect T/C cherokee and i just cant beleave my good luck. It came with a hole box of stuff (patches,powder flask,measure,capper etc.) Couldnt wait to get home and shoot it. I shot 12 rounds threw it, and it shoots real sweet!!! Twenty grains of pyrodex p shoots dead on at 30 yards, 30,40,and 50 grains shoot about 3 inches higher. I think im going to love this thing! Its quite loud,but doesnt slap my cheek like the .50 does. QUESTIONS,,, When did T/C quit making these? If I told you guys that I paid 255 for it,with 50-75 bucks worth of stuff with it,, would you say that i got a good deal? Are these things collectable,or desireable? The only mold that I can find is the lee round ball mold,,,is this my only choice,and if so will they shoot as good as the hornady round balls that I shot today? The only downside,,,, Ive tried kroil, heat, and swearing,but i cant get the nipple out. Guy that owned it must not have never-seized it. Does this gun take a standard t/c nipple? And how am i going to get it out. Someday im going to have to!!! Hate the thought of drilling and extractors on a near brand new gun!!!!!

Junior1942
05-19-2007, 08:15 PM
I'd let Kroil sit on that nipple for a day or two. My Crockett Rifle 32 shoots about 1100 fps w/~12 grs Pyrodex P. With 50 grs, I bet you were going 3000 fps. . . . Your barrel is probably leaded. . . .

ktw
05-19-2007, 08:45 PM
The only mold that I can find is the lee round ball mold,,,is this my only choice...

Ballisti-cast has a 32 cal maxi-ball mold listed.
http://www.ballisti-cast.com/Bullet%20Designs%20Page%207.htm

-ktw

mainiac
05-19-2007, 08:50 PM
I'd let Kroil sit on that nipple for a day or two. My Crockett Rifle 32 shoots about 1100 fps w/~12 grs Pyrodex P. With 50 grs, I bet you were going 3000 fps. . . . Your barrel is probably leaded. . . .

Barrell cleaned up nice tonight, 50 is the max load in the t/c book, probaly wont shoot anymore of that foolishness though! The 20 grain load shoots with about zero felt recoil, and will probaly settle around this charge. How low can i go without sticking a ball in the bore? Cant wait to get some real black for her. Us yankees dont have any of you southerners squirrels to hunt, im thinking ill bloody the sweet thing with partridge this fall! Am going to do some chrono work, suspect that this little ball is movin..... the 50 grain load dinged up my steel plate worse than any .357-45 colt lead bullet load ive ever fired. Speed is what puts craters in steel plate, and mister, she makes craters!

mooman76
05-19-2007, 08:50 PM
Sounds like you got a pretty good deal/ T/C is one of your better brands. BP guns though are pretty much only sawed after by BP people so they aren't as easy to trade off down the road but who needs to. I just paid $200 for a used .32 Dixie Mountain and I didn't get a thing with it. Take care of it and you will get a lifetime of fun. Let it sit awhile and sware a little bit more and you should get the nipple out. You probubly have realized by now but when you clean your gun it is a good idea to remove the nipple every once in awhile. I usually put a drop of oil on it when I put it back in to help get it back out later. Use the oil sparingly though. Lee moulds are good enough. A round ball is pretty much a round ball. There are other moulds I am sure if you look hard enough. it should take the stadard nipple. The nipples are fairly soft so if you keep working on it , it should come out no problem. Might want to think about a stainless steel nipple. I now have 3 .32's. Didn't plan it that way, it just worked out that way, in fact I thought one was a .36. I just got the stuff to fire my new .32's so I will be taking them out soon. The one 32 I got is actually and old 1800's era and I was dreading removing the nipple but it was stripped out already so it came out easy. Hope you have lots of fun with your new toy! P.S. You will probubly find that you have to swab out the bore a little more often since it is a smaller bore.

Two Steps
05-20-2007, 08:39 AM
I'd say you got a good deal on a nice little rifle and a box of plunder (and a lifetime warranty):-D
As was mentioned before, ya may just have to let your Kroil..Breakfree...Kerosene etc sit for a while and do it's work. You may also want to plug the nipple and put a little of your break free solution down the bbl. Hot soapy water pumped through the barrel can also help break up some of the crud on the nipple threads...which by the way, are the standard T/C.
How small a load can you use?...Well it's not unusual to see someone who's dryballed use 4 or 5 grains of powder to send the rb down range (please don't ask how I learned this[smilie=1: ) My Traditions .32 is very happy with 20gr of Goex 3f out to 50m, while my wife's Jamestown .32 asks for 30gr of 3f to keep a nice group at the same range. Good luck and good shooting...I think you'll be happy :-D
Al

ARKANSAS PACKRAT
05-20-2007, 03:59 PM
Maniac, The T/C Cherokee uses a T/C # 7230 (old # 723), this nipple has 12-28 threads and is shorter with a smaller wrench flat than the standard T/C nipple, I had to dig some new ones out to check the numbers and the threads. Cherokee, Seneca and Patriot take the same nipple.
Great piece you found at a good price, have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nick:drinks:

mainiac
05-20-2007, 09:48 PM
Maniac, The T/C Cherokee uses a T/C # 7230 (old # 723), this nipple has 12-28 threads and is shorter with a smaller wrench flat than the standard T/C nipple, I had to dig some new ones out to check the numbers and the threads. Cherokee, Seneca and Patriot take the same nipple.
Great piece you found at a good price, have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nick:drinks:

Any idea where i could find a spare nipple or 2? Also, the cleaning jag didnt come with it, and i need one, where can i find one of these? Was shooting today and enjoying myself immensly...... until i got addle brained,and seated a ball with no powder underneath!!!! That stuck nipple was now in my way real badly, and i got serious getting it out. Ended up tapping it out with a chisel and heat. How about a stuck ball remover for this little pea shooter? Where would i find one of these incase i get stupid again? Got all kinds of goodies for my .50, but nothing fits in this little bore! 20grs pyro P .010 patch and hornady round ball .315 shoots 2 inch groups off hand at 30 yards easily. Wish i could show my grin!!!!!! Just a few parts,and ill be some happy!

I Haines
05-20-2007, 10:20 PM
Maniac,

Sounds like you found a nice little rifle. Instead of trying to pull the ball get a CO2 discharger. I got by for years without one but now I swear by them. I've had limited luck with those screw-in pullers. IH

mooman76
05-20-2007, 10:47 PM
Maniac

Once the balls are stuck they are hard to pull. One easy method is remove the nipple or the screw on the drum and put as much powder as you can get in there. It won't be much, just a few grains but it will be enough to fire the ball out. You can try dixiegunworks they have everything you can think of BP and then some. cainsoutdoor is another place you can try. I like Dixie the most and if you get their $5 catalog it is well worth it. Lots of good info also.

http://trackofthewolf.com/

Johnch
05-20-2007, 11:47 PM
Any idea where i could find a spare nipple or 2? !

I think I have some extra for my 36 cal , I beleve it is a T/C cherokee also

It may take me a day or 2 to dig them out
And make sure they are the right ones

It came with several extra when I bought it , used but only in 75%

PM me your address , I will drop 1 or 2 in the mail

Johnch

ARKANSAS PACKRAT
05-21-2007, 06:28 AM
Maniac if johnch does not hook you up, pm me, i've got the nipples and a couple molds, .313 and .319 RB.
Nick

Johnch
05-21-2007, 07:50 PM
I looked , all I can find are the new # 7070 nipples

Not the right one's
Sorry , I thought for sure I had some

But I looked , I have a Green Mountain barrel
So that's probely why

Johnch

shdwlkr
05-25-2007, 05:33 PM
mainiac
If you got the TC manual with that rifle would you copy it for me and send to me as I have a few TC rifles and have lost the manuals.
thanks
shdwlkr

Underclocked
05-26-2007, 11:12 AM
http://www.cainsoutdoor.com/cart/asp/select_item.asp?item=14134

http://www.cainsoutdoor.com/cart/asp/item_index.asp search for Cherokee to find more parts.

They've probably got your bullet puller as well.

mazo kid
06-06-2007, 09:57 PM
If you are lazy, you could just shoot #1 buckshot in it. It may be a bit harder to load than pure lead, but I have heard of others using it. Emery

twoworms
06-06-2007, 10:16 PM
I have a little 32 call rifle, its a older CVA. I got it at a pawn shop for two boxes of 45ACP Black Talon ammo and 20 bucks. I have shot it very little, but its a cool little rifle.

Tim