PDA

View Full Version : Murphy's oil soap as a lube ingredient?

Elkins45
09-05-2012, 11:36 PM
I searched this forum without any big hits on the subject so I thought I would start a thread. Has anyone ever experimented with Murphy's oil soap in a beeswax base as a bullet lube? I bought a bottle today for scrubbing the basement floor and as I was looking at it the thought hit me that it might make a good lube.

Hip's Ax
09-06-2012, 08:25 AM
From the Lube Recipies sticky. I find it reasonable to assume this is for black powder.

"1995 Lube" - sourced from Paul Matthews

2 parts yellow beeswax
1 part Pure Neatsfoot Oil
1 part Murphy’s Oil Soap

(easy to make in 8-oz batches)

1) Melt 4 oz of beeswax in the microwave. Usually 6-8 minutes is about the right time.
2) Stir in 2 oz of Neatsfoot oil when beeswax is melted. Stir until the mixture is lumpfree.
3) Stir in 2 oz of Murphy’s Oil Soap, stirring continuously as the soap is added. Again,
mix until there are no lumps.
4) Pour into storage containers as soon as batch is well mixed.

Very soft and sticky. Will not melt in the sun, but works well in the cold, too.
NOT suitable for pan lubing.

madman
09-06-2012, 08:39 AM
I have used it I did not see any great improvement in my groups or its ability to lube. It foams like mad when added to bees wax. add in ssmall amounts at low temp and keep stiring. I had to cool and reheat my lube several times to get it all the foam and bubbles mixed in. I used it straight to lube tires back in the 60's.

Maven
09-06-2012, 09:13 AM
Elkins45, Search the web for "Stumpy's Moose Snot", a BP patch lube which uses MOS too.

shotman
09-06-2012, 09:18 AM
I searched this forum without any big hits on the subject so I thought I would start a thread. Has anyone ever experimented with Murphy's oil soap in a beeswax base as a bullet lube? I bought a bottle today for scrubbing the basement floor and as I was looking at it the thought hit me that it might make a good lube.

It wouldnt work in smokeless unless you shot it very soon.