PDA

View Full Version : What would be the simplest parent case to make 9mm jackets?

why.kyle
09-05-2012, 11:35 PM
BTs threads on the 9mm cases out of .223 brass has me thinking, but Im still so new at this I dont quite know what to think.

I was planning on shooting .40 exclusively but now Im not sure. I might want to switch to 9mm exclusively... but I love this idea so much of making jackets from 9mm for my .40 for my pistol shooting that Im not willing to let it go yet.

SO Im wondering what ideas you have of ideas for brass donor cases for 9mm boolits and if any of them are as easy and available as 9mm.

Currently my thoughts might be that you could do 9mm for 9mm boolits, but just have to trim the brass after you size it down.. or even the same thing with .40 maybe, but that's a lot of work.

So, thoughts? Opinions? Am I just crazy?

(btw if anyone is wondering the only reason I might stop shooting .40 is if I find that 9mm is a better caliber (mostly in a competition and carry aspect) for me to shoot with. Ill be testing that out over the coming months (thank goodness for gun rentals))

BT Sniper
09-05-2012, 11:46 PM
If you want to make your own bullets (swage) then you can't beet the 40 from 9mm brass PERIOD!

Period! Period! In every aspect!!!! Period!

I have nearly made them all. I know. The 9mm really doesn't have any options that are as good as the 9mm case is for the 40. Maybe teh 32 ACP or 38 auto but they are not as cheap or easy to find as 9mm brass. Any of teh cheap brass (9mm and 223rem) needs to be chopped and sized before it can make a good 9mm bullet. I found what I considered to be the best alternitive to commercial jackets for making 9mm bullets in cutting the top off 223rem brass then using teh base for a 30 cal bullet. That is what I consider to be the cheapest and easiest option to make 9mm bullets. It is still not as fast, cheap or easy as making 40/10mm from 9mm brass.

If it was up to me everyone would shoot and swage 40/10mm

but if you wanted a set of 9mm swage dies I'm sure I could offer you everything you need.

BT

ReloaderFred
09-06-2012, 11:06 AM
The best brass for making either 9mm or .38 bullets is .32 acp. It requires no trimming and bumps up to the proper diameter, once annealed.

The 9mm makes a great .40 or .41 caliber bullet, too. So that's another way to go.

The .40 case makes a great .44 caliber bullet, but it sounds like you're going to be shooting a semiauto pistol, so the 9mm and .40 are your options.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Reload3006
09-06-2012, 01:39 PM
9mm drawn down makes great 9mm and 38 caliber bullets. anneal and run through a draw die no biggie

Thetraveler
09-10-2012, 04:09 PM
9mm drawn down makes great 9mm and 38 caliber bullets. anneal and run through a draw die no biggie

Have you tried to draw down the Aluminum cases used in the bargain ammo or is the aluminum to brittle and crack?

Reload3006
09-10-2012, 07:20 PM
I have not tried aluminum for only one reason Lead will not bond to it. you can anneal it the same way you do brass but its not worth it to me too much cheap brass available.

MIBULLETS
09-10-2012, 08:46 PM
Have you tried to draw down the Aluminum cases used in the bargain ammo or is the aluminum to brittle and crack?

I'm sure you could do it, but it may have risks. For one thing Aluminum is much more abrasive than Copper and Brass. Unless it is coated, repeated use of Aluminum jackets could wear your dies and your barrel.

Thetraveler
09-10-2012, 09:17 PM
thanks for the comments its appreciated :)

Bollocks
09-11-2012, 09:10 AM
I've made .355's from 9mm cases, .223 cases, .30m1 cases and .32 Long cases. However, for a proper length 9mmP bullet all must be trimmed. (I'm using CH4D dies)

The best case in my opinion would be the .32ACP but I never find them on the range.

why.kyle
09-11-2012, 01:18 PM
Thanks for all the responses guys. Ill have to keep looking into it all.