PDA

View Full Version : Seating PB checks with lee sizing die?

bigmike13
09-05-2012, 09:05 PM
I have a 45pb pistol check maker in route and was wondering if they can be seated with a lee sizer? I've heard of people running them base first but these are going to be for a rn bullet, will they seat nose first?

RobS
09-06-2012, 09:49 PM
Nose first is kind of tough and I didn't have much luck that route. Regardless, it's best to first size/lube and then come back to put the GC on and run the boolit back through the sizing die a second time. If you are using thin material running nose first may work just fine but with my thicker copper sheet I used it didn't work very well. I also used some 400 grit dry/wet sand paper wrapped around a split dowel to smooth out the mouth of the lee die as well as the inside walls. This seamed to help a great deal.

fcvan
09-06-2012, 11:08 PM
Seating PB gas checks with a Lyman shouldnt be much different with the Lee. The Lyman pushes down base first and then pushes it back out. With the Lee, you normally push nose first and push all the way through. The Lee Sizer punch is flat whereas the Lyman uses a nose punch generally the same shape as the boolit nose.

Oil the snot out so the die body and the sides of the punch, not the face. Oil up the boolit and push it part way into the die body, almost flush with the die body. Mix up some JB weld and put it in the die body covering the boolit nose. Put the die body in your press and push the boolit up with the sizer punch. Let it sit for an hour and poof, your sizer punch is now a custom nose punch! I have customized some Lyman nose punches the same way. Most of the time I'm sizing flat nosed boolits and use a flat nose punch. Heck, I've even used the flat punch on RN boolits which made them slightly flat nose.

Of course, you could save yourself the trouble and just push the boolits through base first with the Lee sizer punch. Frank

gundownunder
09-07-2012, 07:24 AM
I've got a .357 Lee sizing die and found that the 35PB check would bunch up behind the bullet instead of crimping onto the bullet unless I went base first. Not an issue for me as my bullets are FP and can go through the die base first
If you want to use a RN bullet you may need to look at forming a RN profile on the push through rod, should be easy enough to do if you have access to a lathe, or Dremel.

Dan Cash
09-07-2012, 08:37 AM
I have a 45pb pistol check maker in route and was wondering if they can be seated with a lee sizer? I've heard of people running them base first but these are going to be for a rn bullet, will they seat nose first?
Not reliably I think N.O.E. makes a seating tool. Get one or get a sizer/lubricator to seat and crimp the check. There are immprovised ways of seating gas checks but none are very satisfactory. ask me how I know.

PatMarlin
09-07-2012, 03:22 PM
Good thread,

I've got a customer in Norway that was interested in the subject. Will send him here.

Iron Mike Golf
09-11-2012, 12:34 PM
I tried the Lee push-through for the NOE 440 gr .502. No go. Since I am only casting handfuls at a time while working up loads for 500 S&W, I have been seating using a 2 oz nylon faced hammer and granite countertop. Then I lube (by fingers with Carnauba Red) and size with the Lee die.

If I get into higher volume with this round (not my gun), I'll look into tools for seating and maybe a Lyman or RCBS lubersizer. My SAECO doesn't got to htat large a cal.

abqcaster
09-11-2012, 01:23 PM
Pat, I see a product opportunity here for you, if you're at all bored. :) Maybe you could make rounded out punches for lee sizers. I'm currently fiddling with a way to thread the shank on my Mihec top punch and remove the stop collar. I'm ordering a spare punch for the sizer that I'm going to bore and thread to accept the threaded shank of the top punch. Figured it would be the perfect way to seat your PBGCs on my boolits.

bstone5
10-08-2012, 11:56 AM
The Lee sizer can be used but for best results the Lee sizer should be inverted.

The picture indicates the Lee sizer setting on a thick washer I made with my lathe.

I put a little bevel in the Lee Sizer with a Drimel tool to make the GC start easier.

I powder coated these 358 diameter bullets so no lube is required.

I install cola can gas checks on 40 S&W, 9 mm, 38 Special, 32 S&W Long using the same process.

I put the cola can GC on all cat lead bullets, the ones I purchase and the ones I cast.

The GC maker I also make on the lathe from info on the web site.

The GC make for the 357 diameter bullet is also in the picture.

The little press is from Harbor Freight. The press is used to make the gas checks and to install the gas checkes.

The cola can GC removes the possibility of lead in the barrel.

The bullets are press thru the die one at a time there will be a bullet in the die to set the next bullet on since one bullet pushes the previous bullet out the bottom of the inverted Lee Sizer.

A little lube is required if none lubed bullets are having the GC installed.

The process is quick and easy after a little practice.