PDA

View Full Version : Who here can't permanently mount reloading equipment?

texassako
09-05-2012, 05:46 PM
And how do you work around that? Feel free to comment if you have some mobile equipment. I have several reasons: can't build a bench inside/no space, half of garage is my woodshop other is for wife's van, and general lack of space. I have been mounting my equipment to hardwood scraps so I can clamp inside or on the workbench, wherever I have space and a comfortable working temperature. Adhesive felt pads protect whatever I put them on. It is a good thing my kitchen table is 2" thick since it is to hot to resize brass in a garage during a Texas summer.

Oreo
09-05-2012, 05:58 PM
Sounds like you've already got it figured out. I used to do it the same way.

Mount the press to a board and countersink the bolt heads underneath so the board sits flat. Use clamps on left & right to hold board & press secure to whatever table or bench you have available.

The rest consists of keeping the essential loading tools in a toolbox for essy transport, and keeping things like scales and other equipment small so they pack & store easy as well as not take up valuable space on the bench when in use.

The biggest challenge is having a bench sturdy enough to not wobble while in use.

Hip's Ax
09-06-2012, 08:19 AM
For a few years I didn't even have anything mounted to a board, I just c-clamped the press or trimmer to the desk or table I was working on. In fact, the trimmer still gets c-clamped to the desk even though I have drilled and bolted the press.

dragon813gt
09-06-2012, 10:25 AM
I can permanently mount. But I prefer not to. I have an 8' bench but it gets used for everything. So having a press permanently mounted hinders performing other tasks on the bench. I have a steel plate to put under my presses and then the press/plate are clamped to the bench. I have smaller items like a trimmer screwed to a 2x4 which then get clamped to the bench. And anything else like my Tipton gun vise(which is anything but a vice) gets 2x4s put underneath and then it's clamped.

All you need is a piece if wood to put under the tool and then some clamps. Takes minimal time to swap tools out and you can set them up where needed.

Brought to you by TapaTalk.

Wayne Smith
09-06-2012, 11:34 AM
For years I had a press periodically clamped to a dining room table, well padded, clamped to the breakfast bar, well padded, or other temporary setup. Family was the issue, available room was taken and reloading was done when I had the time. Wasn't until the boys left that I built a reloading room.

429421Cowboy
09-06-2012, 12:31 PM
My reloading bench is in our shop, and happens to be the bench that the vice, anvil and other shop stuff is on, so i drilled holes for everything and it gets bolted on as i need to load, then unbolted and locked up when i'm not. Slow, but more stable than clamps on the bench we use, which really doesn't lend itself to clamping. Someday i will have a heated indoor room where my safe, hunting and fishing equipment and press can all have a spot! And i'm gonna build a bench 4' longer than i think i'll need cuz once i have it i know i'll fill it up!

burntpowder
09-06-2012, 01:27 PM
I'm a full time RV'er so I have and old heavy desk that I mount my star loader,C&H H press,luber sizer,drill press ect,ect. Got a wife that loves to shoot so she puts up with my mess.Move the desk in and out as need be.

shooterg
09-06-2012, 01:43 PM
Put a bench in the back of the van !! Then run the AC when it's hot. Bride should have no problem with that, right ?

bobthenailer
09-06-2012, 01:59 PM
I have my Dillon 550 mounted to the bench all the time but every other piece of equipment , 2 other presses , shotgun loader, 2- lube sizers , powder measures, case trimmers ect all are either mounted to a block of wood or on a platform made from plywood with a 2x4 with support brackets for each tool, to go in the vice jaws permatantly mounted to the bench.

PS Paul
09-06-2012, 02:06 PM
Like dragon, I also have the room in a large 3-car garage, but I choose to put my presses on laminated wood blocks that I pieced together and use 8" c-clamps so I can load in the living room, dining room, kitchen table, at the office and so on. Prepping brass while watching a movie or visiting with my wife and kids is usally what I do EXCEPT for the powder-measuring part of the process. THAT is 100% focus!
PS P

flounderman
09-06-2012, 02:34 PM
A long time ago I managed to take the splines out of a john deere 70 fly wheel. It weighs over 100 lbs. I had a piece of square iron welded in the hole and put a top on it. tools are mounted all around it and you can tip it and roll it on to a rug or piece of cardboard and move it. You could make the top octagonal and have 8 spaces to mount a tool. with a round bottom, just roll it out of the way

popper
09-06-2012, 02:35 PM
Classic cast press is bolted to the work bench. Everything else is under the junk on the bench. It's all mobile but sometimes hangs around for a day or two. I loaded .40 today after spray painting a patio chair, will go spray another after the fence guy comes this afternoon. I have a ceiling fan over the computer so that's where I go to cool down.

joec
09-06-2012, 05:25 PM
I have a small bench about 42" x 20" so mounting anything is limited. I use a single Lee Bench plate as I use 3 different presses depending what I'm loading. The insert is takes a second to change and is mounted to each press with 2 steel and one wood. The top plates are fairly cheap and the Bench plate is about 1/4" thick so not a big deal to me. The locking pieces take a second to remove getting all but the plate itself out of the way. Oh and it takes as fast as you can tighten 4 screws.

shooter93
09-06-2012, 06:05 PM
I could mount everything permantly but don't doing what oreo does. It reduces clutter and keeps everything in it's place. Here's a pic of the reloading room I built for a friend which I use also anytime I want as I have keys to his Gunsmith shop. I lost the pic from the other end where they only thing left out is a Dillion 650 but you get the idea.

W.R.Buchanan
09-08-2012, 03:30 PM
I started out bolting my tools to the bench, but then I got too many tools and had to rethink the whole system.

MY Rock Chucker and C&H are both bolted to the bench as ell as my Lyman 450, however,

I now mount all my limited use presses to aluminum plates (simply because I have them and they are free) You could do the same thing with 3/4" plywood.

I clamp the plate and machine to the bench I am working on until done, then it goes back upstairs to the storage area with a plastic trash bag covering it.

The bench space is at a premium, and there is no sense running into a tool that is just there and not being used either hurting the tool or hurting yourself. Best to store it out of the way with a plastic bag over it to protect it from dirt.

Randy.

LAH
09-08-2012, 04:00 PM
I have 4 presses mounted, 2 Dillon 450s, 1 RCBS RC, & 1 Dillon 550. The Lyman All American, Dillon SD, Dillon 1050 float in & out. The Forester Timmer & Hornady Case Prep Center also stay mounted as does a RCBS Power Measure Stand.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h244/Creekerpics/Loading%20Room%20101/Loading%20Equipment/Picture566.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h244/Creekerpics/Loading%20Room%20101/Loading%20Equipment/Picture567.jpg

Square Deal B mounted on 2X stock.
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h244/Creekerpics/Loading%20Room%20101/Loading%20Equipment/Picture173.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h244/Creekerpics/Loading%20Room%20101/Loading%20Equipment/Picture449.jpg

WILCO
09-08-2012, 05:01 PM
How about setting up shop in a small shed?

I used to do all of my reloading on a shelf in a small hallway closet.

Chicken Thief
09-08-2012, 05:22 PM
Me....

abunaitoo
09-08-2012, 08:02 PM
A friend, who has passed away, used to have his presses bolted to a wooden stool.
Seemed to have worked for him.

SeabeeMan
09-08-2012, 10:16 PM
I have an old chemistry lab bench with 12 drawers below it and a top that allows me to slide presses in an out 2 at a time. It is 3 layers of 3/8 MDO with liquid nails between each layers and countersunk screws all the way through to the rails underneath.

The bottom layers is solid. The middle layers has 2 10"x10" cutouts on the front edge. The top layers has 2 6"x6" cutouts which center over the larger ones. Each press has a 10x10 square attached to it and they slide into the cutouts. It works great for me and allows me to have 2 things mounted up at once and change hardware out easily.

jeff423
09-08-2012, 11:09 PM
The top of my bench is 3/4" plywood. I drilled holes through it and hammered T-nuts up from the bottom. I use these to mount my less used (shotshell) presses with 5/16 bolts. By having the T-nuts on the underside of the bench the bolt pulls them into the wood and I don't have to thread flat washer, lock washer and 5/16 nut by "feel" onto the bolt.
I use the bolts for the rear mounting and a bar clamp for the front which is even with the front of the bench.

Jeff

fatelk
09-08-2012, 11:51 PM
For years I had a press periodically clamped to a dining room table, well padded, clamped to the breakfast bar, well padded, or other temporary setup. Family was the issue, available room was taken and reloading was done when I had the time. Wasn't until the boys left that I built a reloading room.
This is where I'm at, but I've got a while until the kids are grown. Soon-to-be-four kids in a 1200 sq.ft. house leaves little room for anything else.

WilliamDahl
09-09-2012, 04:28 AM
This is where I'm at, but I've got a while until the kids are grown. Soon-to-be-four kids in a 1200 sq.ft. house leaves little room for anything else.

In some places 1200 sq-ft is a lot more than in other places. Up north, they will classify a house as only having 1200 sq-ft, but it doesn't include a full size basement, so there's another 1200 sq-ft often there. Down south, we don't have basements and 1200 sq-ft is often a 2 BR - 2 bath size house. Once the kids are out of the house, it's a race to see whether you get to convert the spare bedroom into a reloading room or your wife gets to convert it into a massive walk-in closet for her shoes first.

If one of your bedrooms only has a single kid in it, you could build a loft bed and have the bottom area a reloading area. I once built a queen size loft bed with a desk area underneath it. The desk area was about 7 ft long and 38 inches deep (made from four 2x10s joined together). You learn quick enough not to stand up until you have taken a step or two back from the desktop. Even with a room that only had an 8 ft ceiling, I could lay on the mattress with my arm extended to my elbow and turn over without hitting the ceiling. Having experienced naval shipboard accommodations, I did not find it to be claustrophobic. Kids like climbing into places like this, so it might be a good use of your available space. There's a lot of wasted vertical space in most houses, you just need to think outside the box... If you are putting it in a kid's room though, you might want to put some panels / doors on it that can be locked to keep the kid out of it.

The legs that I created for it were "L" shaped, made from gluing and lag bolting a 2x4 to a 2x6. The perimeter of the bed area was made from 2x8s with a 2x4 inner ledge for the 3/4" bed platform. There also were 2x4s going width wise under the bed platform to add extra support for when are 2 people up there.

"Anything worth engineering is worth OVER-engineering..."

The desktop was supported by a perimeter of 2x4s and it had a fluorescent shop light mounted to the bottom of the bed platform. It actually worked out really well for me. Because the desktop does not go the full depth of the bed, it would have made for a great reloading top since no matter how hard you pull, you would not be able to tip the reloading bench (due to the legs being so far out).

One other idea that I've considered for a portable reloading press is to create a small stand that will slide into the 2" receiver hitch on my pickup. I figure that it would be great if I was at a range and wanted to be developing a load there.

Oh well, hope this gives you some ideas for thinking outside the box...

Pressman
09-09-2012, 07:15 AM
I built my reloading bench out of a walnut veneer solid core door salvaged from the Hardin County Court House in Eldora. I added slots to the front edge with an additional board under the edge and appropiate spacers. Each slot will acommodate a 1x8 inch board that I call bread boards, like the old ones that used to be found in the kitchen. Soild lumber works better than plywood, at least for presses.
Using this system I could mix and match reloading tools as I saw the need. Six slots along the front allows two presses and a powder measure and plenty of work room. I do not use any additional method to tighten the bread boards in the bench, just carefull fitting. It has served my well for years. A friend came up with the idea many years before me and his bench it working well for him.
Ken

mdi
09-09-2012, 12:04 PM
My solution to no dedicated loading area was a B&D Workmate. I made a table top from scrap counter top, screwed a piece of 2x4 to the bottom, and mounted the press to the top. When I reloaded, I set the Workmate up in the dining room, clamped the tabletop/press into the workmate and supplies (powder/bullets/primers stored in a large plastic shoebox) went on the dining room table. To store I unclamped the top, folded the Workmate and stuffed both pieces in a closet or under the bed. Now I have a dedicated reloading shed, 10'x14' and presses are mounted via Pat Marlins "RockMate" system (one Lee turret, one Heavy Duty C-H). I have other equipment mounted to 1x8s that I clamp to the bench end (C-H C Press, light vise, etc.).

fatelk
09-09-2012, 12:54 PM
In some places 1200 sq-ft is a lot more than in other places. Up north, they will classify a house as only having 1200 sq-ft, but it doesn't include a full size basement, so there's another 1200 sq-ft often there. Down south, we don't have basements and 1200 sq-ft is often a 2 BR - 2 bath size house.

I would love to have a basement. Or even an attic. I'm lucky to have a garage. Here in western Oregon basements are rare. Three bedroom, two bath house; soon to be two kids in each room. I have a small closet for my reloading stuff, and some room in the garage.

WilliamDahl
09-09-2012, 01:18 PM
I would love to have a basement. Or even an attic. I'm lucky to have a garage. Here in western Oregon basements are rare. Three bedroom, two bath house; soon to be two kids in each room. I have a small closet for my reloading stuff, and some room in the garage.

With soon to have 2 kids in each room, you're probably going to end up with bunk beds in those rooms soon enough, so the loft bed with reloading area underneath might not work that well. Do you at least have a large enough piece of land that you could build yourself a workshop / reloading room out back?

I went from a 4000 sq-ft house to a 2400 sq-ft one and I ended up being very tight for space. The things women will make you do just to "be in a good school district" for the kid... <bleeeccchhhh> I think I would go crazy living in half that space with 4 kids and a wife... You definitely have my sympathy... Hmmm... On the other hand, I guess you did bring it own yourself since after the 2nd kid, you probably should have figured out what was causing it... :)

Texantothecore
09-09-2012, 08:48 PM
I am in the same situation and I just use a Lee Hand Press. It works beautifully. If you can get it for your round, a neck sizer only is the way to go. More accurate ammo.

Dirt simple to use and 35.00 bucks. Can't be beat.

fatelk
09-09-2012, 11:53 PM
With soon to have 2 kids in each room, you're probably going to end up with bunk beds in those rooms soon enough, so the loft bed with reloading area underneath might not work that well. Do you at least have a large enough piece of land that you could build yourself a workshop / reloading room out back?
Already have bunk beds in the boys' room. I would love to have land; grew up on a 200 acre dairy farm with thousands of acres of forested hills behind us. I sure didn't know just how good I had it.

The best we have is a medium sized back yard; big enough for the kids to play, and a garden shed but that's it. I have a decent garage with work benches and some storage so don't feel too sorry for me.:) Also, my wife is quite patient and doesn't complain when I clamp the Dillon to the kitchen counter as it is now. It just can't stay there very long. I have the casting stuff in the garage but am hesitant to have too much loading stuff out there because of rust.

As to the hand press, I have one but just can't get into using it for much of anything since I have a couple Rockchuckers and a Dillon 550. I can sure see where it would be very handy under certain circumstances, though, such as prepping brass at the bowling alley.:):)

WilliamDahl
09-10-2012, 02:12 AM
Already have bunk beds in the boys' room. I would love to have land; grew up on a 200 acre dairy farm with thousands of acres of forested hills behind us. I sure didn't know just how good I had it.

Yep, I grep up on a 100 acre ranch and I didn't realize how great it was until I got somewhere that a 1 acre lot was for multi-million dollar homes.

The best we have is a medium sized back yard; big enough for the kids to play, and a garden shed but that's it. I have a decent garage with work benches and some storage so don't feel too sorry for me.:) Also, my wife is quite patient and doesn't complain when I clamp the Dillon to the kitchen counter as it is now. It just can't stay there very long. I have the casting stuff in the garage but am hesitant to have too much loading stuff out there because of rust.

I knew a guy once who didn't have enough space for a full reloading room at his house, but he decided that all he really needed was about 12" along one wall, so he rigged up a 2x12 along the wall and then built some cabinets around it so that the wall just looked like a humongous bookshelf. His wife liked all the extra space that she had with it and the fact that they didn't need standalone dressers anymore. It was anchored to the wall, so it was VERY sturdy. If you figure that you have one wall with dressers on it anyway and the space on the side of the dresser is basically wasted, making a whole wall of drawers and cabinets really gains you a lot of storage space without losing any practical floor space.

It would also be pretty easy to create a wall mounted table that folded up (or down when not in use. With a bit of artistic talent, a person could make it so that when it folded up, the bottom was decorated so that it looked like a part of the design of the room.

Another option might be to just build a small table shaped like the old oil derricks where the perimeter of the base is quite a bit smaller than the perimeter of the top (to make it more sturdy). Think of it as a square seat bar stool where the top seat portion is square and 12"x12" and the legs go out at an angle so that the square made by the ends of the legs was maybe 30" on each side. Lee sells a 3-legged reloading stand that kind of is designed along this idea, but the legs are not as wide as I think that they should be.

Speaking of triangles though, if you have a spare corner, it would be easy to attach a couple of 2x4s along the wall with lag bolts and then put a triangular or pentagonal piece of 3/4" plywood in that corner and mount one press at a time there with other attachment methods that have been mentioned in this thread. Maybe you could even do this in a closet if you have the room? Without seeing your house and how you use it, all this is just guessing with respect to how it might work for your particular situation. A lot is going to depend upon whether you own your house or rent and how long you plan on living there.

kappy
09-10-2012, 02:51 AM
I made a portable bench. I have a full sized bench in the garage, but it gets really hot in the summer. 47629

That's an unfinished pic (no varnish, hardware, or molding) but it gives you an idea.

WilliamDahl
09-10-2012, 03:16 AM
I have one of the Frankford Arsenal reloading stands:

http://www.battenfeldtechnologies.com/frankford-arsenal/catalog.asp?product=Portable-Reloading-Stand

http://www.battenfeldtechnologies.com/images/catalog/155024-main.jpg

It came with the RCBS press that I bought off CraigsList when I started reloading. Although it works, I would prefer that it was heavier. It works well enough with a single stage press though and served me until I was able to build a proper size reloading table.

evan price
09-10-2012, 03:58 AM
I have one of the Frankford Arsenal reloading stands:

http://www.battenfeldtechnologies.com/frankford-arsenal/catalog.asp?product=Portable-Reloading-Stand

http://www.battenfeldtechnologies.com/images/catalog/155024-main.jpg

It came with the RCBS press that I bought off CraigsList when I started reloading. Although it works, I would prefer that it was heavier. It works well enough with a single stage press though and served me until I was able to build a proper size reloading table.

That's a Plus One for me too. I have my Pro-1000 bolted to one side and my Lee turret bolted to the other side. While full length resizing 30-06 on the Turret I managed to crack a support rib under the plastic table top so I made a truss out of some 1/4" thick aluminum to spread the load from the back press bolt that tried to pull through.

The entire setup is not as stable as I'd like but it works for now. Plus I can move it wherever I want to load. Great for brass prep while watching a movie.

WilliamDahl
09-10-2012, 04:27 AM
The entire setup is not as stable as I'd like but it works for now. Plus I can move it wherever I want to load. Great for brass prep while watching a movie.

It's not as good as what someone with even minimal carpentry skills could create, but it works in a pinch. If I remember correctly, the center pedestal will slide out of the base and the top, so it breaks down into pieces that are pretty easy to find a place to store even if you are in a space limited environment. The guy that I bought my RCBS press from just threw this stand in on the deal and the press was so cheap, this was basically for free. I'm not sure that it is worth what the manufacturer charges for it, but as an engineer, I tend to compare it to what I could make myself. Of course, mine would weigh a couple of times what this one weighs. I figure that if I can stand on it and it doesn't wobble, then it's sturdy enough for me. This press does not meet that criteria, but it can still serve a purpose.

Now, another idea might be to go with my previous suggestion of basically a very wide base bar stool, but make it so that you can put a seat on it so that it really *can* be a bar stool if you need it to be. OK, maybe not *bar* stool, but rather it could be the right height to sit on if you were reloading at a counter top in the kitchen or wherever. Then again, considering the OP is about to have a new kid, maybe making it so that it could double as a baby's high chair might be more desirable? Basically like the seat in the restaurant style baby high chair...

http://img3.targetimg3.com/wcsstore/TargetSAS//img/p/14/21/14219750_120731150000.jpg
https://encrypted-tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRKFDMIn1ez0xN5Xtags17tmZvbTk7cX vWQPgmUSDOFIFuRkHG8CQ

Except I would make the base a bit larger so that it would be less likely to tip over.

Something like this maybe, but square instead of rectangular:

http://www.harborfreight.com/29-inch-heavy-duty-tool-stand-95128.html

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS8Bzl60hjQa5RFO2XIMJi9tzvBp1XLB BcZHNz6D8_hIWfFtme5

BOWZ
09-10-2012, 04:53 AM
I live on a CG cutter so I reload at whosever place that wants to learn or will let me in their barn to load. Have had numerous set ups with boards and c-clamps. Have a lee stand in the mail, eager to try their quick mounting system.

Bowz

mazo kid
09-10-2012, 11:44 AM
My reloading bench is an old fast food counter with a base unit. The top is formica covered 1" plywood to which I bolted a 1' X 2' piece of 1/2" aluminum plate. I drilled and tapped holes in the plate to match my most often used pieces of equipment. The bolts to hold the pieces in place are home made T bolts so it is quick and easy to change over. The unit is bolted to the basement wall so is very sturdy.

WilliamDahl
09-11-2012, 12:58 PM
Here's a workbench that folds into the wall by Gorilla Racks... I suspect that something similar could be made with a few door hinges and a bit of effort...

http://www.gorillarack.com/images/Image/catalog%20images/Stowaway_tools_SMALL.jpg http://www.gorillarack.com/images/Image/catalog%20images/Stowaway_down_SMALL.jpg

http://www.gorillarack.com/the-stowaway-pi-96.html?image=0
http://www.gorillarack.com/the-stowaway-pi-96.html?image=4

palmettosunshine
09-12-2012, 11:00 PM
Lee Hand Press on cardboard on the dining room table when the wife and child aren't home. Not ideal, but it works for now. Just moved into a new house that has a shed in the back with serious potential, just have to finish fumigating it. For no more time than I have now to reload the dining room table may be the way to go....

StratsMan
09-12-2012, 11:47 PM
The way I read the original post, there is a lack of floor space for a reloading bench. My gun room has a similar limitation, so I opted for the Vertical Bench...

The photo is kind of small, but there is a Dillon 550 in the lower center, a Star sizer at the bottom left, and two Herters presses on the top (shotgun on the left, and a 6-hole turret press on the top right) And there's still room for storage shelves behind the presses, too! I've since added puck lights to the bottoms of the shelves.... (Wait, I see the puck lights in this photo....)

To build it, I built out using 2x8's against the studs on the wall. the shelves hold the presses, and I closed off the holes between the studs for additional shelf space... (An idea I got from another member on this forum...) There's more shelving on the left side of this photo, but it's not as sturdy as the framework for the presses... I just us it for storage.... and barely any footprint!!!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_5723500a006616439.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=5987)

Wayne Smith
09-13-2012, 10:15 AM
BOWZ, are you familiar with the Huntington portable press? It is head and shoulders better than the Lee hand press and just as portable. A little more money but I think ideal for your situation.

Freischütz
09-13-2012, 05:32 PM
I c-clamp my equipment to a Sears workbench. I can move the equipment to any configuration I want. If I need the bench for something else I just unclamp everything and put it away.

LUBEDUDE
09-13-2012, 05:56 PM
The way I read the original post, there is a lack of floor space for a reloading bench. My gun room has a similar limitation, so I opted for the Vertical Bench...

The photo is kind of small, but there is a Dillon 550 in the lower center, a Star sizer at the bottom left, and two Herters presses on the top (shotgun on the left, and a 6-hole turret press on the top right) And there's still room for storage shelves behind the presses, too! I've since added puck lights to the bottoms of the shelves.... (Wait, I see the puck lights in this photo....)

To build it, I built out using 2x8's against the studs on the wall. the shelves hold the presses, and I closed off the holes between the studs for additional shelf space... (An idea I got from another member on this forum...) There's more shelving on the left side of this photo, but it's not as sturdy as the framework for the presses... I just us it for storage.... and barely any footprint!!!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_5723500a006616439.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=5987)

Stratsman - that is some compact, loading area. 3 presses and a sizer, all within arms reach! Very impressive. And organized too.

Does that Herters Model 72 put out pretty good Shot shells ?

texassako
09-13-2012, 09:26 PM

Now that is a compact reloading area. If I had a few more presses and mounted them in the closet where I store most of the reloading supplies, it just might look like that.

StratsMan
09-15-2012, 11:54 AM
Does that Herters Model 72 put out pretty good Shot shells ?

Dude,

I don't shoot much shotgun, and I like the look & feel of old tools, so I got this press and use it one cartridge at a time... It doesn't roll the crimp as well as I would like, or I haven't figured out the correct technique yet, but no round made from this press has failed to cycle through my Mossberg 590, or failed in any way... So for the very few I load, this press is fine... and I only paid $26 on FleaBay, plus another $20 for shipping...

Of course, if'n I was gonna shoot a trap league every week, I'd have a progressive...

LUBEDUDE
09-15-2012, 05:04 PM
Thanks Strats! Point taken.

I have one that I haven't mounted yet. I just having too much fun loading with my Hollywood. I have another 5-6 shotshell loaders being ignored as well.

crabo
09-15-2012, 10:31 PM
I have posted these before, but I put a top on a Black and Decker Workmate, and bolted on 2 Square Deals, one with large primers and one with small primers. I also bolted my Star on one end and my Lee Turret on the other end. You just spin it around for what ever tool you are using.

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w482/Crabo308/Reloading%20Equip/d6171699.jpg

I also made a small shelf down below for tools and supplies. I made one of these for a friend for Christmas so he could reload in the house.

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w482/Crabo308/Reloading%20Equip/46680b90.jpg

dragon813gt
09-16-2012, 09:22 AM
You need to invite three friends over and put them to work :)

Brought to you by TapaTalk.

Artful
09-16-2012, 10:26 AM
I like Crabo's solution best. At one time I mounted my dilllon on plywood with 2x4 jamb leg - would take out the sliding bread board from the kitchen counter - slid in the reloading board and jamb the 2x4 under it to spread the force to the floor, worked for many years.

higgins
09-16-2012, 02:36 PM
Here's my hillbilly version of the Frankford Arsenal reloading stand. I made this about 35 years ago, and I still use it for light duty sizing and bullet seating. It's made of a pipe flange on each end of a 32" piece of 1.75" OD pipe. The press is attached to the flange using thin washers that will bend to conform to the mounting slots in the press. I made the base out of a piece of scrap I had on hand. I have also seen arrangements like this with large brake drums and plow discs for the base. Just about anything heavy might work, but the board is handy for foot pressure when using the press upstroke. This height works well when seated.

The holes in the original flanges matched up almost perfectly with the mounting slots in the Spartan press. I recently broke the top flange trying to FL size an inadequately lubed .243 case. When I went shopping for a replacement flange, I found out that, of course, the hole spacing on "standard" flanges of this size has changed over the years because of dimensional changes in the diameter of the flange. I moved an old flange from the base to the top so the press would fit, and put the new flange on the bottom.

I saw this concept in American Rifleman back when it and other magazines weren't afraid to publish concepts to help financially embarassed readers get by cheaply. Thankfully, this board seems to have an abundance of frugal individuals.

W.R.Buchanan
09-17-2012, 02:08 PM
Crabo: That is exactly what mine looked like when I started. except my stuff was green.

I gave my board to my Bro in law a few years back to mount on his Workmate, and he has a Rockchucker on one side and a D550 on the other.

This is one of the simplest and best ways to make a portable solid reloading bench and the Workmate can still be used for many things as you don't change it in the slightest.

Good way to go for the apartment dweller.

Randy