PDA

View Full Version : Too many choices

Silverboolit
09-05-2012, 12:54 AM
I sold my AK and want to replace it with one of the new 'inexpensive ' bolt actions.
I have looked and reschearched the Ruger American, the Marlin X7VH, Mossy ACL199?, Savage Axis. All of the review say that they are 'Great.'
I realize that they all are starter rifles and each has about as many flaws as the other. It will be primarily shooting CB's out to about 300 yds. with a .308.
Anyone make a suggestion from actual using one of these and what if any problems have arisen with them.
I appreciate all of your input on this project. Thanks!

Plinkster
09-05-2012, 01:48 AM
A buddy had a Stevens 200 in .223 that would pile em all into one hole at 100 for as long as you could concentrate. Very basic model, for my money savage is the leader for "inexpensive" accuracy right now. I would pony up the extra for the accutrigger though as I have that on one and it's great. The bonus of the savage is the super easy barrel swaps should you want another caliber down the road, and with a .308 bolt face this allows for many calibers with only the barrel and a wrench to buy. Good luck shopping!

Jack Stanley
09-05-2012, 08:38 AM
Another Stevens 200 owner here and while it's as accurate as Plinkster says , mine needed a healthy dose of epoxy in the action area . Just having a hand forward of the recoil bolt would cause the stock to flex pushing on the action and accuracy went away .

I suspect the other rifles are a get what you pay for route just like the Stevens .

Jack

largom
09-05-2012, 09:08 AM
If I were going to buy a new inexpensive gun it would definitely be a Savage/Stevens.
If I were going to buy a new USED gun then I would look at the condition of the bore with my borescope and the age of the gun with older being BETTER.

Larry

myfriendis410
09-05-2012, 10:23 AM
I would look at the Weatherby Vanguard. It's in the same price range, especially some of the older ones, and every one I've handled shot very well. A much better gun IMO than the ones you listed.

Moonie
09-05-2012, 02:18 PM
I have an Edge (now Axis) in 30-06, shoots cast great. Using the accurate molds 245C with 35gr H4895 @1950fps it will shoot 3 rounds in a clover leaf at 100yards.

Idaho Sharpshooter
09-05-2012, 05:26 PM
I strongly suggest you get a Savage. With the accu-trigger, you can have an easily adjusted trigger set very light for load work and accuracy shooting, and reset to 3lbs for hunting.

Rich
Sua Sponte

Silverboolit
09-07-2012, 12:28 AM
Hi everyone... I went with the suggestion and bought an Axis in .308. Man, this is one 'economical' rifle. It has a stock that has a little flex in it, but about like the others that I looked at. This will be a project gun and am planning a few upgrades in the near future. First a clean up then out to the range for a break-in and starting bullet groups. I don't expect this to outshine my 112hvss in .22-.250, but you never know. Thanks for all the help.

Plinkster
09-07-2012, 03:31 AM
You might be surprised by that little savage. I think I'd spring for a Boyd stock and in the mean time do the all thread and epoxy stiffening job to the fore end. I never liked their synthetics but that's just me, they are very utilitarian. I think you made a good choice, I believe Rifle Basix (sp?) and Timney make triggers for the axis and depending on your level of confidence I think there are a few things to lighten up the stock trigger as well. Good luck and let us know how it shoots!

Moonie
09-07-2012, 03:55 PM
I've lightened up the trigger in mine and it is a dream to shoot. I believe the information is found on a forum dedicated to savage firearms.