PDA

View Full Version : My FA 454 needs new optics. Any suggestions?

DanWalker
09-05-2012, 12:24 AM
Hey guys,
The Bausch and Lomb scope on my 10" Freedom Arms 454 took a dump on me. I'm looking for a scope for hunting out to 200 yards. I'm not against an ultra dot, provided they can be shot with accuracy that far.
I'm looking for opinions on what to get. Before anyone jumps me about shooting 200 yards with a handgun, look at where I live. It's a real possibility, and I CAN shoot a handgun well enough to ethically do it.

boatswainsmate
09-05-2012, 06:24 AM
http://www.weaveroptics.com/optics/handgunscopes/classic/

bobthenailer
09-05-2012, 07:49 AM
PM sent

DaveCampbell
09-05-2012, 08:21 AM
Now that B&L has left the room, I believe that Burris makes the most robust handgun scopes. You might give Bob Baker at Freedom Arms a call and ask for his reccomendations. He's doing that all the time. The Aimpoint is another option. I don't have one on a heavy-recoiling handgun, but they are popular with guys in the sandbox. I have one on a Ruger Mark III Hunter pistol, and it's more deadly than many rimfire rifles.

44man
09-05-2012, 10:18 AM
Hey guys,
The Bausch and Lomb scope on my 10" Freedom Arms 454 took a dump on me. I'm looking for a scope for hunting out to 200 yards. I'm not against an ultra dot, provided they can be shot with accuracy that far.
I'm looking for opinions on what to get. Before anyone jumps me about shooting 200 yards with a handgun, look at where I live. It's a real possibility, and I CAN shoot a handgun well enough to ethically do it.
Be careful. I have destroyed too much with recoil. Even having a problem with a Leopold lately. I wiped the tube off a Burris because they were too soft and I do not know if they made them harder.
Your .454 is best at long range but has a sharp recoil.
Mounting systems plaque some expensive red dots and they can fail no matter how expensive.
Base screws come loose with different frequencies of recoil. The .475 would never hold but the .500 is no problem.
Can you hit deer at 200 with an Ultra Dot if sighted---YES, plain 30mm with fixed dot. I have hit tin cans with them. It will be your vision and mine sucks.
My list is long, Burris, Millet, Tasco, Bushnell, Leopold and Swift. I seen $500 heads up stuff that the mounts would fail on. SOME OF THEM HAVE ONE RING!
So many are made for the AR market and will not take a revolver.
I have a Tasco pistol scope you could throw off a mountain without breaking but the cross hair and dot is larger then an Ultra Dot.
Stuff that works on a .22 will blow up on a big bore. Nothing is so bad on optics.

subsonic
09-05-2012, 12:14 PM
I would try an Ultra-Dot 30 or a fixed 2x Leupold.

Magnification doesn't help you shoot more accurately, it only helps you to see better.

ole 5 hole group
09-05-2012, 12:57 PM
You might want to consider a Leupold DeltaPoint getting the delta, not the dot. Using the tip of the delta as your aiming point, it's about like a 1/4 MOA dot on a scope. The problem is the price is a little high, if you're not sure you want one. Recoil won't be a problem.

There's less expensive red dot tubes and heads up displays out there as well but for my purposes, I've found the delta to be about as accurate as a 2X scope at 100 yards.

If you want magnification, I like the leupold 2.5X8 handgun scope. I've had mine for awhile and it's held up to recoil just fine - the problem you might run into on some revolvers is the objective is 32 mm and a short barrel with a regular front sight will be the problem. The FA's and BFR's won't cause you problems.

"I'm looking for opinions on what to get. Before anyone jumps me about shooting 200 yards with a handgun, look at where I live. It's a real possibility, and I CAN shoot a handgun well enough to ethically do it." The only problem with shooting that far is the animal will probably run another 100 yards or so prior to piling up and that makes for a long drag back to your vehicle - you've probably already cussed that last 200 yards a time or two.

subsonic
09-05-2012, 01:35 PM
My older 2.5-8x Leupold had some issues. Mostly sliding in the rings until I got them so tight that it started to crush the tube, then the crosshair turned and it started loosing zero.

I wouldn't suggest a 2.5-8x, but maybe the newer ones are better? This was on "only" a .30 Herrett 10" Contender.

44man
09-05-2012, 01:47 PM
My 10" barrel .44 SBH ate most. Can you imagine a .454, .475 or .500?

454PB
09-05-2012, 10:53 PM
I'm not a big fan of scoped handguns, but I have one of the Weaver 2X silver models mounted up for my RSRH in .454 Casull. It has absorbed the recoil of 335 gr. boolits at 1400 fps. about 500 times with NO problems. I remove and replace it frequently (did I mention I don't care for scoped handguns?) with the zero being exactly the same.

I think the mounts are more important than the scope.

Irascible
09-12-2012, 08:01 PM
I used to install a lot of forward mounted scopes on shotguns for the local hunters. I think a slug shooting shotgun is even harder on scopes that handguns. The ONLY one that held up was the 2X Leupold. I currently have one on my 12" Encore in 454. I also have one that lives on my 14" 444 Contender. I wanted more power for my 358 JDJ so I went to the 1X4 Burris with no problems. The rest of my "normal" handguns have Bushnell Elite 2X6 scopes including one on my 14" Contender in 307 Ackley Improved. These 3 are the only scopes I would recommend for the 454. The Busnell 3200 Elite is the old B&L scope. The cheaper Bushnell is just that, cheaper. I once asked what the difference was. The answer was 1 lens and $100.

freedom475
09-12-2012, 11:58 PM
I talked to FA last fall and they told me the "only" two scopes that they would mount on there guns were the Leupold and the Bushnell 3200 "Elete". They said that they used to mount the weaver but it would not hold up to the 454.

My scope opinions..the ultra dot does very well..I sure hate it for tagets since it has no magnification and that dot blocks out your target, but it seems be be quite easy to shoot well with it. My 460s&w without a muzzle break has not hurt it a bit and I smaked a little rock with it a couple weeks ago at a measured 320 yards....but hold over is a total guess since the dot allows for no reference points. I used it all summer to shoot gophers out to 100yards...the 460s&w REALLY blows a gopher to shreads..lol...people can't believe it when that big pistol sends a tiny rodent flying throught the air from a 100yrds..lol.

My 2X leupold has fat cross hairs and I broke it once with my 44. (but they fixed it for free) I don't really like it just cause it has no magnification and it is the old one with the little objective.

I had the Burris EER 2.5x7(?)...it was nice because it had fine cross hairs but it was hard to get a full scope unless you were exacly the right distance from it (especially on high power) Total Pain for multiple hunting positions. My 454 bent it!

My favorite is probly my Busnell 3200 Elete 2x6. I was able to match my load with the balistics progam and found that I could sight dead on at 150yds and the duplex point was exactly on for a 200yrd shot (44mag 265gr cast)...I practiced on milk jugs until I could break them consitantly at 200. What I don't like about it is the fact that your rest has to be very stable with this high a power, or you will be constanly chasing the crosshairs and trying to race the trigger so that it breaks when the hairs are on...seemed like it took tons of practice to stop doing this and to get the 200yard jugs dialed. I fired right at 2000 rounds last fall before I could control and work with the scope when using cross sticks while seated to make the 200yard shots.

The Bushnell Trophy is total JUNK!! ('er I mean:...I got a nice Trophy Bushnell for sale..lol) The adjustment knobs are not good at all (the thing just feels cheap and the clicks are mushy)...nothing like the Elete..

dk17hmr
09-13-2012, 12:26 AM
Dan I have an ultra dot on my 14" 444 contender, I think you shot it, but it is holding up pretty good. Im not good enough with a handgun to consider shooting critters at 200 yards with it but I do shoot plates and rocks with it at 300.

If you cant find something in time for hunting you can borrow my ultra dot if needed just let me know.

Whiterabbit
09-13-2012, 01:30 AM
I'm not a big fan of scoped handguns, but I have one of the Weaver 2X silver models mounted up for my RSRH in .454 Casull. It has absorbed the recoil of 335 gr. boolits at 1400 fps. about 500 times with NO problems. I remove and replace it frequently (did I mention I don't care for scoped handguns?) with the zero being exactly the same.

I think the mounts are more important than the scope.

From my experience, the mounts are AS important as the scope. If you don't have the package, you have nothing.

DanWalker
09-13-2012, 11:25 AM
Dan I have an ultra dot on my 14" 444 contender, I think you shot it, but it is holding up pretty good. Im not good enough with a handgun to consider shooting critters at 200 yards with it but I do shoot plates and rocks with it at 300.

If you cant find something in time for hunting you can borrow my ultra dot if needed just let me know.

Thanks Doug.
I'm ordering an Elite 3200 today. I will keep you all posted on how it goes. My plan is to zero my scope at 100 yards. I will then work out what magnification I have to dial the scope to in order for the tip of the bottom vertical post in the scope to be used as my aiming point for 200 yards. I seriously doubt I will need it, but it's nice to have the capability and not need it, rather than to need it and not have it.

Groo
09-13-2012, 11:33 AM
Groo here
What type of mount do you have?
SSk made mounts for the 454 [Tsob] that will take 3 sometimes 4 rings.
The problem is the scopes bend and that caused damage inside.
Use the shortest scope with the most support that you can.
Also fixed power has fewer parts to break.

subsonic
09-13-2012, 12:20 PM
Thanks Doug.
I'm ordering an Elite 3200 today. I will keep you all posted on how it goes. My plan is to zero my scope at 100 yards. I will then work out what magnification I have to dial the scope to in order for the tip of the bottom vertical post in the scope to be used as my aiming point for 200 yards. I seriously doubt I will need it, but it's nice to have the capability and not need it, rather than to need it and not have it.

Check to make sure your zero doesn't change with magnification. I have a couple of scopes that do this. And a couple that don't. I have not tried an Elite 3200, but hear they are good. I hope they don't have this issue.

Norbrat
09-13-2012, 09:58 PM
Dan, I have a Lovell mount for sale if you are interested.

I ordered it with my FA, but decided the Weaver rail is better for my purposes as I can remove the scope complete with rings when going back to the open sights.

I fitted it once to the gun and I don't think I even fired it with the Lovell mount and scope attached.

PM me if you interested.

PS Paul
09-13-2012, 10:25 PM
Man, I cannot wait to hear what you decide to get and how it works. Dan, I would respectfully request you post some kind of update- maybe a few- after you've owned and used it for a while. I really think there will be value in what you have to report besides all the really GOOD advice the other members have posted. Until then, I will just stay tuned!!

DanWalker
09-14-2012, 09:47 AM
Thanks for all the advice and interest guys. I ordered a B&L ELITE 3200 from Cabelas this morning. Should be at the house, waiting on me when I get home from the rig in 10 days. I'll keep you all informed as to how it works out.

bosterr
09-15-2012, 08:54 AM
There's a $75. rebate program going on right now on all Elite scopes! Print out the coupon off the Bushnell site and mail with the UPC code from the box and your receipt. Good until the end of October I think.

freedom475
09-15-2012, 11:01 AM
The biggest problem you are going to run into with your FreedomArms, is that the scope sets back over the hammer and you can't get your thumb on the hammer.

The scoped FA is not near as handy as a scoped ruger. At least mine is that way with the Lovell base. I think the leupold base is just a little taller.

DanWalker
09-15-2012, 11:44 AM
There's a $75. rebate program going on right now on all Elite scopes! Print out the coupon off the Bushnell site and mail with the UPC code from the box and your receipt. Good until the end of October I think.

Had 47 cabelas points to redeem and got free shipping too.
Price was $299-47-75=$177 Yeah, I can live with that!

sniper317
10-13-2012, 06:07 PM
Super RedHawk 7 1/2 barrel Konus pro 2x28 scope .454 Casull, 1/2in group at 50yrds, last year I shot a doe at 70 yrd and she just droped to her knees and never ran and the shot went through both lungs. so i'd say konus pro $60.00 plus shipping

DanWalker
10-14-2012, 12:07 AM
OK, Here's an update. I put the Bushnell Elite 3200 2-6x scope on and was amazed at the accuracy of this gun. I shot groups better than anything I have ever fired with a handgun. That being said, the real test was in the field on game, and that's where the wheels fell off. I cannot blame the scope. It is a terrific piece of gear, but it is totally unsuitable for me and the way I hunt. Most of my shots on game are taken from field positions, either sitting kneeling or prone. Try as I might, I spent more time fiddling with the scope, and trying to line up the crosshairs on the critter, than I did in making well aimed shots.
I have since removed this scope and mounted a Millett Red dot, which seems much better suited to my style of hunting. I'm going out with it for my last antelope of the season tomorrow, and will keep you all informed as to how it turns out.

DanWalker
10-15-2012, 12:49 AM
ok,
I'm loving this red dot for hunting! It was the simplest thing in the world today, to just sit down and put the red dot on that antelopes shoulder, and put a boolit through her. no messing around trying to see through a tiny field of view, just simplicity....

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=168235

x101airborne
10-15-2012, 01:25 PM
Excellent! Glad you have some success. I am new to scoped handgun hunting, so I am learning a lot as well.