PDA

View Full Version : Pan Lubing Question

nicholst55
05-19-2007, 02:26 PM
Years ago I bought a Lee pan lube setup for 9mm, but it''s LONG gone after umpteen PCS moves in the Army. So, what do you guys use to 'cut' the boolits out of the lube? The Lee outfit had a cake cutter type thing that was really slick. Maybe an old cartridge case of slightly larger ID?

Johnch
05-19-2007, 03:01 PM
For 9 mm , 38/ 357 , 35 Rem ect I use a fired 358 Win case I picked up at the range (read FREE)
I cut the head off , debured it, inside champher the mouth and soldered on a handle , made from a old screw driver
For 44 mag I used a range pick up 444 Marlin case
45 ACP - 454 I use a 45/70 case that I trimed off a split
Any 45 /70 bullets I use a range pick up 460 Weatherbey case

Just make sure the ID if the case mouth is a few thousands larger than the bullet
A fired , non sized case works normaly , unless you have to realy size the bullets down a lot

Johnch

hunter64
05-19-2007, 04:57 PM
I use a pie tin for my pan lubing and just take the whole "cake" out in one piece. I then put it on a towel and just push the bullets out thru the bottom of the cake from the top and that is it. When all the bullets are out I just put the "holy cake" back into the pie pan and fill all the holes with bullets and reheat.

Goatlips
05-19-2007, 11:42 PM
Nicholst55,

I have a lee cutter like you spoke of and it's great; have also tried the case with a nail in it to push the slugs out. But you can make one similar to the Lee out of a garage sale golf club, they have tapered shafts, just guess at the size you need, hack off a 4" piece and taper the end. More info on pan lubing here:

http://goatlipstips.cas-town.com/panlubing.html

My method depends a lot on your lube recipe, but a cutter works well with anything. :mrgreen:

Goatlips

DonH
05-20-2007, 06:08 AM
I also just remove the whole "cake" from the pan and push the bullets through. The trick is to wait until the lube solidifies but still has some warmth left in it. The bullets push out easily. This method will be dependent on the hardness of your lube but should work with hard lubes if timed right. I use this method because often I have a few hundred big bore rifle bullets to lube and the cake cutter method seems a bit slow for production. I wear a soft leather glove on the hand I push out the bullets with to keep my thumb from getting tender, especially with the pointy .32-40 spitzers.

nicholst55
05-20-2007, 10:25 AM
Thanks for the tips, gents! I think I'll be looking for some garage sale golf clubs soon!