PDA

View Full Version : SP primer pocket dimensions needed

Reg
09-04-2012, 08:01 PM
Working with converting some 9 m/m Largo brass cases from berdan to boxer and so far all is working well. Last stage of the game now I need the exact dimensions of a small pistol primer pocket. Have to make up a hard polished punch for this final forming operation.
Diameter, length and any radius's.
Thank you
Reg

[smilie=s:

Reg
09-04-2012, 08:53 PM
I am sure it's something I am doing but the image on my screen is too small to read the figures and any enlarging I try to do blurs the figures. Am sure this is what I need, just cannot read it.!!

:-|

Reg
09-04-2012, 09:06 PM
I did, it comes up saying invalid attachment ?????

Roger Ronas
09-04-2012, 10:20 PM
Can you post a link for large pistol and rifle also? That's what I have been looking for.

Thanks
Roger

JIMinPHX
09-04-2012, 10:59 PM
I was able to use WSP primers in some Santa Barbra 9-Largo brass by just mashing the primers in there so tight that I made them fit. The WSP was longer & thinner than the original Berdan primer, but the WSP conformed to fit. They all went bang & accuracy was good. I've done about 4 loadings on that box of brass & all still looks good. The only mod that I made was drilling a center flash hole so that I could use a conventional depriming pin. Due to the now-larger-than-usual open hole surface area between the primer pocket & the main chamber of the brass, I stuck to modest powder charges.

Roger Ronas
09-04-2012, 11:13 PM
Thank you PB

Reg
09-04-2012, 11:18 PM
OK, got it this time, worked like a champ. Also printed off the large primer pocket info as well, will put it away for future info. Starting to get one heck of a pile of notebooks just on the raw information I am getting on this site!!
I didn't check real close yet but it looks like the dimension on these Largo cases are running about .171 / .172. Not going to take much forming to bring them up but do want to keep things as close to Hoyle as I can.
What started this whole thing is a friend came down to hunt doves and he carries a Star in the Largo caliber and also uses it for plinking. Lots and lots of Largo brass laying around the firing line here. He was saying he needed another batch of 1000 as he was getting low. I got to remembering that a few here are converting berdan larger rifle cases to use regular .210 primers and having good success- thought why not adapt something along those line to make these Largo cases useful.
He is coming back Thursday and I told him to bring the Star and I would try to have something for him to try out. Will post my findings here.
The centering of the flash hole is simple and removes most of the berdan tit but does need a small amount of clean up. The final forming of the pocket with a simple punch set up should be about all that is needed to make very usable cases. Am running these cases in a hollow head lathe chuck so it is very fast in operation.
Again, I do thank you for the info.

:drinks:

deltaenterprizes
09-04-2012, 11:36 PM
A small primer pocket uniformer will make them the right size and save you a lot of work making the tool.

JIMinPHX
09-05-2012, 11:01 AM
Also, Star Line makes Largo brass from time to time. You might want to keep your eyes open to see when the next batch pops up. It's been several years now, so they should be about due. The last time, I only grabbed 100 cases. I wish that I had gotten more.

Reg
09-05-2012, 11:17 AM
deltaenterprises, good idea. Just checked it out and works perfectly. Used the small Lyman. Did notice that the primer protruded by about .010 so will make up a spot facer with stop and will just bump it a bit before I remove it from the chuck. Did try seating a primer and it felt normal as far as seating pressure went.

JIMinPHX, I think I am doing this more for myself than for the other fellow. One of those "I wonder if" deals. He is one of those people who will buy crossive , old, and unknown quality ammo before he will sit down and load up good quality ammo. Will mention the StarLine to him. Have purchased it in various calibers and found it to be of excellent quality.

:drinks:

john hayslip
09-05-2012, 11:22 AM
9mm largo is the same length and size as 38 super. I've had two Star largos and they both ran ok with it. The semi rim on the super didn't interfere though I guess in a pinch you could turn it off. I also have some 9mm magnum cases new that I bought for a project that never got done and I expect they would work too.

The star - similar to the 1911's - I had digested 38 super loaded ammo out of the box without a burp. I've seen figures showing the two cases with, for all intents and purposes, identical velocities with the same weight bullet.

I got rid of the last Star because it had a nasty habit of biting the web of my thumb.

Reg
09-05-2012, 11:50 AM
Friend has the same trouble with his Star, bites the web on his hand. We have ground and polished back about as far as we dare but his hands are a bit chunky and it still gets him from time to time.

The Star seems like a good pistol but if I were to have one, I think I would come up with some kind of extended spur to keep the web of one's hand from creeping over the top and getting pinched.

Another thought on the 9 m/m Largo is talked about in Nontes book on pistol smithing and that is to make a spacer ring to take up the space in the chamber from the Largo length to the standard Luger length. With some of the new Loc-Tite products the ring would never move and Nonte said they fed fine from the unmodified magazine. This might be on the agenda if the loaded ammo gets scarce and I get tired of converting the berdan primers ( that wont take long !! )

:bigsmyl2:

JIMinPHX
10-24-2012, 10:31 PM
Another thought on the 9 m/m Largo is talked about in Nontes book on pistol smithing and that is to make a spacer ring to take up the space in the chamber from the Largo length to the standard Luger length. With some of the new Loc-Tite products the ring would never move and Nonte said they fed fine from the unmodified magazine.

The part about the original magazine feeding the shorter Luger cartridge surprises me. I would have expected to need to modify the follower & add a spacer block in the front of the mag.

Once upon a time, there was a guy selling .38 super barrels for the Star out of the back of the Shotgun News. Unfortunately, those all seem to have dried up a few years ago.

If anybody sees replacement barrels for the Star Super, please post about it. Most of those guns have terrible barrels due to their original diet of corrosive ammo.