hi guys , i have a import 1917 that require bedding any hints ?/
rojo

220swiftfn
09-05-2012, 02:08 AM
Barry Manilow........

Dan

220swiftfn
09-05-2012, 02:15 AM
But seriously, Accraglass will work well, same procedure as any other bolt gun, but if it still has the barrel bands and stacking swivel, you're kind of limited as to the accuracy potential there.

Dan

Gtek
09-05-2012, 05:53 PM
That and 90 years of cosmo and oil that makes things not stick very well. Boyds sells new wood, aftermarket fiberglass can be had. Depends on how hard your jumping and what your goal is. I watched the MR. Midway video years ago, nothing to it! HA- I have done more than a few, and you can get your hands full real quick. There is a learning curve, and I have had to find new wood a time or two. X2 on one before, if your running full wood that takes you into other issues. Gtek

runfiverun
09-06-2012, 12:05 AM
i'd look for bedding a [303] smle info and transfer that over.
it's essentially the same process.

Frank46
09-06-2012, 12:26 AM
Just remember that the release agent is your friend. I've done a few rifles and put the release agent even where you don't expect the bedding compound to go. if you are bedding the regular
military stock then just bed the front receiver ring and recoil lug. And a little where the rear receiver screw goes and call it good. Did this on a swedish mauser and while the rifle shot great prior to bedding it was more consistent. Bedding the lee endfield rifles I would do the buttstock first then the rest of the receiver. did a jungle carbine that both the buttstock and forend were so loose you could actually twist them. But not after the bedding. Frank

GARCIA
09-06-2012, 05:32 AM
Remember, release agent is your friend!!!!!

I have had to stick stocks and gun metal into the deep freezer in hopes of the metal constricting enough to break the hold on the glass that I missed covering with the release agent. Never as of yet had to hack a stock off but I sure have contemplated it enough times.

I have now started using a unconventional way that is really slick (pun intended).

I have taken/took the barreled action and heated it up slightly with my wifes hair dryer till the whole thing was just warm to the touch. Had a can of "PAM" non stick cooking spray and sprayed the hole thing down that I figured might even come close to the bedding compound. Then wiped it down lightly to remove any runs or excess spray. With the barrelled action being warmed up the PAM get's into all the nooks and crannies and works great!!!! I then bedded the action and removed all excess bedding after it started to harden to keep from adding additional work.

I did this bedding on a semi custom barrelled action that I had gotten back from the Montana Rifleman. It was a P14 Winchester action completly reworked into a 7mm STW. When I got the action out of the stock even the Queens proof marks were visiable in the bedding. That is how good it worked. Needless to say for the last 25 years it has been my preffered way of bedding and using release agent.

Now lets bust my chops on the cooking oil jokes!!!

Tom

flounderman
09-06-2012, 06:37 AM
what makes you think it needs bedding? If it is in a military stock you will probably have a problem getting glass to stick. there are a lot of reasons a gun doesn't shoot like you want, besides bedding. You might try sliding a shim under the front of the barrel to increase the pressure on it. If you insist on pouring glass in it, take an 1/8 drill and drill a lot of little holes in the area around the recoil lug, front receiver flat and a couple of inches of the barrel chanel ahead of the receiver, a few around the tang. holes don't have to be deep, just something for the glass to bite into. Use plenty of release, coat the screws and the screw holes. when you tighten the screws after you apply the wet glass, don't tighten them too tight. You want the glass to correct imperfections and if you overtighten, you will end up with the same thing you started with. Give the glass plenty of time to cure and a sharp rap with a wooden mallet on the barrel will loosen it when you go to remove it, better than just pulling on it. Probably should remove a bit behind the tang. Check the muzzle to see how the crown looks and if the rifling is worn. a good barrel with poor bedding will shoot better than a bad barrel with perfect bedding.

runfiverun
09-06-2012, 11:19 AM
i done the shim under the bbl thing on mine it didn't improve the accuracy too much but it sure settled it down to be more consistent.