PDA

View Full Version : powder question

Beekeeper
09-04-2012, 04:38 PM
OK so I'm getting old and feeble, hands shake and eyes cross for no reason.
That said here is what I would like to pick the experts brains on.

I have a Redding No 1 beam scale.
Feeble hands shaking sometimes knock it off its pins and mess up your settings.
Is there a fix ? Maybe a cover to put over the tops of the beam pins so I cannot knock it loose?

Second ,
I have a Lee Perfect powder measure that I use, ( Ok I know but I'm cheap)) and a no1 hotchi douchi powder measure isn't in the budget so I have to make do.
My problem that I noticed for the first time today is it will not throw a perfect constant measure ( was using a can of 50 year old IMR4064)
I think the problem is the size of the charge of 4064 and not the powder measure but I remember someone making a baffle for a Lee and said it solved most problems.

Would appreciate any ones ideas and superior technical knowledge.

beekeeper

williamwaco
09-04-2012, 04:49 PM
OK so I'm getting old and feeble, hands shake and eyes cross for no reason.
That said here is what I would like to pick the experts brains on.

I have a Redding No 1 beam scale.
Feeble hands shaking sometimes knock it off its pins and mess up your settings.
Is there a fix ? Maybe a cover to put over the tops of the beam pins so I cannot knock it loose?

Second ,
I have a Lee Perfect powder measure that I use, ( Ok I know but I'm cheap)) and a no1 hotchi douchi powder measure isn't in the budget so I have to make do.
My problem that I noticed for the first time today is it will not throw a perfect constant measure ( was using a can of 50 year old IMR4064)
I think the problem is the size of the charge of 4064 and not the powder measure but I remember someone making a baffle for a Lee and said it solved most problems.

Would appreciate any ones ideas and superior technical knowledge.

beekeeper

Perhaps you are expecting too much. Nothing will throw a perfectly constant measure.

A baffle will help. Many years ago before they were easily purchsed, we used to make them from 3x5 cards.

see:

http://www.reloadingtips.com/reviews/hornady-powder-measure.htm

For my results with a Hornady measure.

I would expect your variation with 4064 to be a little more than my results because the kernels are larger