PDA

View Full Version : 38 Special OLD low-wall project.

badgeredd
09-04-2012, 04:05 PM
I bought a low wall action at a local gun show early last year for a reasonable price. It was chambered for 22 long rifle but the barrel and breach block were worse for wear. I decided to rebuild it as a low pressure centerfire gun.

I had to make a hinge pin for the lever, make an extractor, make screws to retain the hinge pin and firing pin, make a firing pin, make a tang screw to hold the stock, plus insert the breech block to convert it to centerfire.

I made the stock and forearm from some walnut that was harvested from my property 9 years ago. The barrel was a blank purchased from Green Mountain for 38 Special, 22" long. I contoured the barrel with a half round/octagon shape.

Looking through my stash of parts, I found several sets of 22 rings that I decided should be fine for the low recoil of the 38. I then made a scope mount for the rings.

I'm not finished but it is all together so I thought I'd share it.

http://i533.photobucket.com/albums/ee338/badgeredd/Low%20wall/PICT0548R.jpg

http://i533.photobucket.com/albums/ee338/badgeredd/Low%20wall/PICT0549R.jpg

I couldn't afford to have a true gunsmith build the gun for me, but it has kept me out of trouble and busy on and off for several weeks. In the end i have a fun little gun that really didn't cost much in cash...just love labor.

I did fire about 50 rounds with cast boolits yesterday evening and I am please with the functioning and accuracy of the project.

Edd

helice
09-04-2012, 04:49 PM
Very sweet work Edd. That stock is gorgeous. Show us some targets or some DRT squirrels.

badgeredd
09-04-2012, 05:00 PM
Very sweet work Edd. That stock is gorgeous. Show us some targets or some DRT squirrels.

That'll come. I shot a bunch of wimp 38 loads last night but the groups aren't what they will be with some load development. I really want to get it COMPLETELY finished before I shoot it much more but it is hard not to shoot it a bunch more.

Edd

GLL
09-04-2012, 05:01 PM
Beautiful work ! :)

Jerry

MostlyOnThePaper
09-04-2012, 05:01 PM
That looks awesome! I need to get me one...

Lefty SRH
09-04-2012, 05:08 PM
Hahahaha, very nice, .38spl rifle sounds like a lot of fun!
Keep us posted on further progress.

deltaenterprizes
09-04-2012, 05:26 PM
Very nice work!

Hamish
09-04-2012, 05:26 PM
Occasionally the lumber presents you with how it wants to be cut, but I'm betting you spent a fair amount of time playing "How does this one look with that one". I don't know how you could have gotten the "Swoop" any better, really looking forward to seeing the grain pop once you start laying the liquid to it.

I guess the metal work ain't bad, either,,,,:p

badgeredd
09-04-2012, 05:58 PM
Thanks guys for the kind words. I am happy with how it turned out up to this point. Hopefully the final finishing will do nothing but improve it.

And yes Hamish, I did fiddle around trying to get the "look" by trying different combinations.

Edd

Ben
09-04-2012, 06:26 PM
A beautiful rifle.

Was there a reason for you using a scope base that was that high ?

badgeredd
09-04-2012, 06:38 PM
A beautiful rifle.

Was there a reason for you using a scope base that was that high ?

Yes and no.

I tend to like shooting a light recoiling cartridge with a more head up position. And as it worked out, the hammer clears the scope bell quite nicely so there is no need of a hammer spur. AND by being a bit high, one has plenty of room for loading and extraction. I could (and may yet), lower the scope/mount by 1/8 to 1/4 inch, time will tell.

Edd

Ben
09-04-2012, 06:51 PM
If it works for you, I wouldn't change a thing.

Ben

Dutch4122
09-04-2012, 07:43 PM
:bigsmyl2:

You sir are a genius! However, I'd keep a close eye on that gal if a certain friend of ours:veryconfu drops by to visit in the near future. She just might disappear when yer not lookin'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Personally, I'd inspect all of his gun cases before he leaves.:oops:

badgeredd
09-04-2012, 08:22 PM
:bigsmyl2:

You sir are a genius! However, I'd keep a close eye on that gal if a certain friend of ours:veryconfu drops by to visit in the near future. She just might disappear when yer not lookin'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Personally, I'd inspect all of his gun cases before he leaves.:oops:

Ya think? His donkey could be in big trouble in that case.

Edd

Jailer
09-04-2012, 09:17 PM
I Can't wait to see that stock finished.

Edd, I think you missed your calling.

badgeredd
09-04-2012, 09:52 PM
I Can't wait to see that stock finished.

Edd, I think you missed your calling.

The nice thing about being retired, I can pursue my interests. Old single shots have alway been of great interest to me so now if I can afford an action, I'll get it for the next project.

Edd

digger44
09-04-2012, 10:22 PM
Gorgeous

Larry Gibson
09-05-2012, 12:03 AM
Totally awesome to say the least!

Should be a fun gun for sure, probably need to have several 6 cavity moulds and a dillon 1050 just to keep yourself in ammo...........

Larry Gibson

John Taylor
09-05-2012, 09:23 AM
Like your caliber choice, I'm doing one in the same caliber for the boy-scouts but it won't have the nice wood yours has.

SharpsShooter
09-05-2012, 09:42 AM
I love it. I am a fan of the low wall myself. Mine is in 45 colt and gets fed BP.

http://s146.photobucket.com/albums/r255/SharpsShooter_photos/?action=view&current=LowWall-1.jpg

SS

Hardcast416taylor
09-05-2012, 03:44 PM
Another nice piece of work coming out of your basement! Having seen some of your labors and got to shoot a few of them, I can only imagine that this will be a sweetheart also. Were you shooting at the same steel target we tried to destroy with the .416 Russian Express rounds the last time we were out? Robert

oldred
09-05-2012, 06:02 PM
I knew that stock was going to draw some attention and I was right! The whole gun of course is really nice and the way it is done just has an artistic look about it, very nice indeed.

Green Frog
09-05-2012, 07:07 PM
That'll come. I shot a bunch of wimp 38 loads last night but the groups aren't what they will be with some load development. I really want to get it COMPLETELY finished before I shoot it much more but it is hard not to shoot it a bunch more.

Edd

Edd,

In your earliest post you mentioned "real gunsmith." I would maintain that you have shown yourself to me more of a real gunsmith than many who hang that shingle. 8-)

As for finishing the gun, I've got a 22 lr low-wall that was rebarreled and restocked for schuetzen matches sometime back in the early '90s. At the time I couldn't afford to have the "real gunsmith" I had do the work for me do finish work also, so I took it unfinished. Over 15 years later I am still shooting it at matches, but it isn't finished yet! :mrgreen:

Don't forget the legendary barrel maker Harry Pope. The gun he is best remembered for competing with was referred to as his "dog fight gun" because the exterior of the barrel had never even been draw filed all the way and looked like it had been in a dog fight! Keep on enjoying that 'wall. They are among the finest toys for big boys.

Froggie

badgeredd
09-05-2012, 11:42 PM
Thank you guys for the compliments.

Hardcast, I'll have to get the 416 RE out and take some pics of it too.

oldred, I ordered the drawings today. Thank you.

Green Frog, I am motivated on this one because of the nice looking wood and my love for the Low/High Wall Winchesters. I like most centerfire single shots, but I do believe the graceful lines of the Winchesters are definitely my favorite.

Edd

Jailer
09-06-2012, 08:40 PM
That 416 RE is a thumper for sure. :shock:

EMC45
09-07-2012, 01:06 PM
Great looking gun! If it was me, that is about the furthest it would get done. I would shoot it and never have time to get anymore work done on it...

Hardcast416taylor
09-07-2012, 03:19 PM
That 416 RE is a thumper for sure. :shock:

NAH! I`d compare it to a 20 gauge pump gun with 7/8 oz. field loads. This comparsion is when we`re shooting the Accurate 42-330C bullet that winds up weighing 342 gr. lubed and checked.Robert

nekshot
09-07-2012, 09:07 PM
Now that is nifty! I love the way you think. Nothing like seeing a project in your mind and then bringing it to completion. Well done.

HollowPoint
09-07-2012, 09:35 PM
Hey badgeredd:

When you make up rifle like this do you use readily available drawings and designs or do you just craft it as you move along with the project?

I'm not quite up to building any type of firearm just yet but, if I were to tackle such a build I think it would be something in a single shot design like this.

HollowPoint

357maximum
09-08-2012, 02:50 AM
That shure is purdy there Edd. I really look forward to shooting it. Don't worry about me stealing it....I have seen what you look like when you are mad at someone. I would not wanna make that list. :-o and I am afraid you would find me in the crosshairs before i could get to the end of that "driveway" of yours.

Next time I am down I will bring you a "plinker" mould that will keep that classy looking little beauty fed and happy for a good long time.

badgeredd
09-08-2012, 11:34 AM
Hey badgeredd:

When you make up rifle like this do you use readily available drawings and designs or do you just craft it as you move along with the project?

I'm not quite up to building any type of firearm just yet but, if I were to tackle such a build I think it would be something in a single shot design like this.

HollowPoint

No, I didn't use drawings, unless you count the sketches I made to myself.

I recently ordered drawings for three different single shot actions that I want to try to build. I have the drawings for the Frank DeHass "vault" action which leave something to be desired. I have three other sets of drawings, that are very detailed and seem to be accurately drawn. Besides being capable with metal working machines and tools, a fellow needs to understand the inter-action of the internal parts when building an action from scratch. In this case, I restored an existing action. oldred has built a high wall action from scratch that is absolutely gorgeous as can be seen in this thread:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=163700

Some aspects were "as you go" construction, most were copying existing parts.
I hope I've answered your questions adequately.

Edd

badgeredd
09-08-2012, 11:39 AM
Mike,

Thank you for the consideration on the mold. Yep, I think that BRP mold would be dandy for a low velocity plinker based on the results I've seen with it in your loads.

P.S. My driveway was built so I could see them coming or trying to get away. He-he-he-he.

Edd

Artful
09-10-2012, 10:18 PM
Nice 38 you made up there. Can't wait to see the finished pic's.

badgeredd
09-11-2012, 11:29 PM
I still have a bit to do on the stock and fore-end, but it is pretty much finished. Here are a couple more pics of it.

http://i533.photobucket.com/albums/ee338/badgeredd/Low%20wall/PICT0553.jpg

http://i533.photobucket.com/albums/ee338/badgeredd/Low%20wall/PICT0554.jpg

http://i533.photobucket.com/albums/ee338/badgeredd/Low%20wall/PICT0555.jpg

Hopefully the weather will co-operate this weekend so I can get some shooting in with my new toy.

Edd

Dutch4122
09-12-2012, 05:44 AM
:holysheep That thing is gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait to see it this weekend.

You should be right proud of yourself.

Hopefully the weather will co-operate this weekend so I can get some shooting in with my new toy.

Don't you mean so that WE can get some shooting in with your new toy this weekend?????????:bigsmyl2:

1_Ogre
09-12-2012, 06:55 AM
I bought a low wall action at a local gun show early last year for a reasonable price. It was chambered for 22 long rifle but the barrel and breach block were worse for wear. I decided to rebuild it as a low pressure centerfire gun.

I had to make a hinge pin for the lever, make an extractor, make screws to retain the hinge pin and firing pin, make a firing pin, make a tang screw to hold the stock, plus insert the breech block to convert it to centerfire.

I made the stock and forearm from some walnut that was harvested from my property 9 years ago. The barrel was a blank purchased from Green Mountain for 38 Special, 22" long. I contoured the barrel with a half round/octagon shape.

Looking through my stash of parts, I found several sets of 22 rings that I decided should be fine for the low recoil of the 38. I then made a scope mount for the rings.

I'm not finished but it is all together so I thought I'd share it.

http://i533.photobucket.com/albums/ee338/badgeredd/Low%20wall/PICT0548R.jpg

http://i533.photobucket.com/albums/ee338/badgeredd/Low%20wall/PICT0549R.jpg

I couldn't afford to have a true gunsmith build the gun for me, but it has kept me out of trouble and busy on and off for several weeks. In the end i have a fun little gun that really didn't cost much in cash...just love labor.

I did fire about 50 rounds with cast boolits yesterday evening and I am please with the functioning and accuracy of the project.

Edd
NICE! If you have any of that walnut left, I have several projects for hand gun grips, etc, etc

Hardcast416taylor
09-13-2012, 02:27 PM
Much better with some "clothes" on the stock and metal. I said the grain would show out more. I see you still haven`t mounted any sandbags on that railing for shooting yet!Robert

LIMPINGJ
09-13-2012, 06:15 PM
Very nice work.

357maximum
09-16-2012, 11:47 AM
I got to shoot it and it shoots as purdy as it looks. The only issue with it is that I could find is the simple fact.................it is not mine. :cry:

Good job Edd[smilie=s:

Lefty SRH
09-18-2012, 05:18 AM
WOW Edd, it looks like a different rifle when compared to the first pics. She's beautiful!

Lefty SRH
09-18-2012, 05:18 AM
Wish you guys lived in the south! LOL

badgeredd
09-18-2012, 05:04 PM
Wish you guys lived in the south! LOL

We (wife and I) both wanted to move much farther south when I retired, but my mother needs us here so it isn't to be. I was stationed in Mississippi and Georgia while in the military and loved it. Guess I have a bit of "Grit" in my soul. :smile:;-)

Edd

burntpowder
09-18-2012, 05:19 PM
Oh, Lord, I'm not supposed to covet anything my neighbor has so please bring me the parts so i can make one for myself! Ha, ha! Beautiful rifle!

357maximum
09-19-2012, 02:02 PM
We (wife and I) both wanted to move much farther south when I retired, but my mother needs us here so it isn't to be. I was stationed in Mississippi and Georgia while in the military and loved it. Guess I have a bit of "Grit" in my soul. :smile:;-)

Edd

..........are you sure that grit is in your soul and not wedged somewhere else?:shock:

I for one am glad you ar in this neck of the woods.:bigsmyl2:

helice
09-20-2012, 10:03 PM
It just gets better with time. Well done Edd.
Karl

MostlyOnThePaper
01-24-2013, 01:46 AM
Wow, Edd!
I am a little slow following up as usual. I absolutely love the way it turned out. We should go shoot some bunnies for the stew pot. I don't have anything that cool, but my .30 Carbine would work if I come up with a 5rd magazine for it, or maybe one of my 22's.

Randy

TheGrimReaper
01-25-2013, 07:30 PM
Hey! I like it!!!

PatMarlin
01-26-2013, 01:33 PM
Nothing but Drool Edd...!

I can see myself becoming a 1885 addict. I just love 1/2 rounds. Simply beautiful.