PDA

View Full Version : Pyrodex in .45 LC Ruger Blk Hwk?

Crash_Corrigan
05-19-2007, 12:05 PM
I have been messing around with a muzzle loading 50 cal barrel on my Mossberg 500. I was wondering if I could load my 255 gr LFN boolits in my .45 LC Ruger?
What would a good load need as far a gr of Pyrodex. I know Rugers are known for durability etc but I do not want to test it out with a Magnum Load. Does anybody have a decent load for a 200 or 255 gr PB boolit in a .45 LC Revolver? I just love the clouds of white smoke and the push rather than a hard kick that Pyrodex makes. I will surely get some attention on the firing line with these rounds if I do not mention what I am shooting. HA HA HA [smilie=1:
Crash

J Miller
05-19-2007, 05:15 PM
Crash,
You load Pyrodex in a by volume basis. In other words you can't put enough pyrodex into a .45 Colt case to get in trouble.
Pyrodex does need some compression so about all you can get would be 35 or so grains by weight using a 250-255gr bullet.

One comment though, Pyrodex is more corrosive than real black powder. I fired off the remainder of a pound of the crap in my OM BH and even after thoroughly cleaning the gun with hot soap and water, and lubing it, I ended up with a pitted cylinder and barrel.

I wont touch the stuff now.

YMMV of course

Joe

nvbirdman
05-19-2007, 10:06 PM
A 45lc case full of BP is fun on 12-31 and 7-4 too.
I wouldn't use commercial cast boolits because the boolits are too hard and so is the lube. But when I want to shoot black I just grab one of my BP revolvers.
Anyway, you won't be able to use too much BP(or Pyrocrap). The only problem you would have is using too little. Since you already use a BP rifle you know you can't have an airspace between the charge and the projectile.
Use a soft lube. You can probably get Wonderlube the same place you get your Pyrodex, or use some homemade stuff.
You might also consider using a Wonder Wad under a .454 round ball.

Dale53
05-19-2007, 11:49 PM
I have shot a lot of Pyrodex in my Ruger .45 Colt Bisley Vaquero. Just fill the case 1/16" over normal seating depth and seat the bullet compressing the powder charge that 1/16".

I use "Friendship Speed Juice" to clean, then follow up with "Ed's Red". Two days later, I flush with Ed's Red again. No problems with corrosion of any kind.

I used Pyrodex Pistol grade (I had won several pounds of it in a match). I only have some loaded ammo left and will be using Swiss black powder in the future. I had no problems with Pyrodex, just don't need forty kinds of black powder or substitute to do the job.

Dale53

bc3660
08-22-2007, 05:14 PM
I was thinking of useing 777. has anyone had a problem whith that?
Steve