PDA

View Full Version : Drop in Stock of Ly. Great Plains Rifle?

Maven
05-19-2007, 11:26 AM
All, No, I'm not asking about a replacement stock, but whether the rifle is made for off-hand shooting. I.e., does it shoulder and balance well?* Here's why I ask: I have a T/C Hawken (with 3 bbl's.) and a Cherokee that are better suited to shooting from a rest than off hand. They don't shoulder well, meaning I have to move my head and cheek all around to get a proper sight picture when shooting off-hand. Then too, the Hawken balances poorly, regardless of which bbl. I use . Moreover, that head/cheek position is not at all pleasant when fired with Maxi-Balls or R.E.A.L.'s. Btw, the two rifles and all barrels** are in excellent condition and for sale.

*I have a Mowrey rifle that has enough drop (and balance) so as to allow natural off-hand shooting, but shooting from a [bench]rest is a bit inconvenient.

**Original 28" 1:48 twist, .440"; T/C 32" 1:66" twist, .440"; Green Mtn. 32", 1:60" twist, .490". The Cherokee is original, i.e., 26" (?), 1:48" twist and .440".

kenjuudo
05-19-2007, 01:46 PM
Mine is a late 70's model .50 cal. 32" barrel. Balances at the rear sight carried one handed. I couldn't ask for a better fit when just slung to the shoulder, no scrunching around at all, sights are right there, it just seems to "settle" right for me. It is my favorite ML, next to my Knight's the most accurate. Many, many good hunts with it, both of us are showing our age.

I'm 6'2" 245 lbs. OK I'm 260 lbs. but my driver's license says 245!!!

Too bad ya can't walk in somewhere and handle one, PM me if ya want specific measurements or pics.

jim

nicholst55
05-19-2007, 02:39 PM
I've got two GPRs, a .54 caplock and a .50 flinter (as yet unfired). The .54 balances well and is a good fit for me. I've shot it a good bit, and have no problems with cheek/head position, etc. I like it better than either of my T/C Renegades or Hawken - it just feels 'right!'

Maven
05-19-2007, 08:35 PM
Jim & nichols, Thanks for your assistance! I too wish there was a local gun shop that carried them. We have a Gander Mtn., but they carry various in-lines and a few non-T/C Hawken's and Hawken wannabes.