PDA

View Full Version : Die Storage

alamogunr
09-04-2012, 10:35 AM
Lately, more and more, I have been running into the problem of having to do a complete setup on my rifle dies. I store my dies in the original boxes. Many times I want to load another run of the exact same cartridge/boolet combination but the setting for the seater die is no longer locked in because the storage box is not long enough to allow the die to fit when set for that boolet. The same applies to M dies which is really frustrating.

I need suggestions for storing my dies. I have about 10 sets of rifle dies but use only about 4-5 on a regular basis plus about that many M dies. I'm not opposed to either buying or building something to store them and would prefer to store all dies(not just the most used ones) the same way.

Any suggestions will be seriously considered.

dragon813gt
09-04-2012, 11:10 AM
Lee round plastic die storage containers. You can get them at midway. There is more then enough height to keep the dies set.

Brought to you by TapaTalk.

Ickisrulz
09-04-2012, 12:19 PM
Maybe this one?

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=MTDB4

Or build a shelf with holes in it to mount to your wall.

alamogunr
09-04-2012, 12:34 PM
Or build a shelf with holes in it to mount to your wall.

I've been planning new shelves over my reload bench. The present shelves aren't deep enough and don't extend full length of the bench. I could make a section approx 4-6 inches wide and mount the shelves at an angle with holes for the dies. Or as you say, mount a shelf to the wall.

The MTM box would work but I prefer to come up with a homemade solution.

The newer style, green RCBS boxes will hold the exceptionally long Lyman Precision Alignment dies. They will accept a die up to 5 1/2" in length.

Are the RCBS boxes available separately?

1hole
09-04-2012, 01:43 PM
"... but I prefer to come up with a homemade solution."

I use cigar boxes with thin (1/8") wood strips glued in for dividers. Wallmart's cheap spray paint makes them look fine to me.

Joe504
09-04-2012, 01:54 PM
WalMart sells plastic pencil boxes for about a dollar. They stack great. Just need something to keep the dies from rattling around.

Romeo 33 Delta
09-06-2012, 12:28 AM
I use a Plano (#3450) 6 compartment, plastic storage box and I use a Dremel to remove the left two or three ribs, cleaning them up with a SHARP chisel. They don't like the larger lock rings of Redding ... but work perfectly with Lee or RCBS rings and there's ample room for 5 or 6 dies of various types ... shell holders ... sample dummies ... whatever and they stack wonderfully. Here's my set up.

bryonbush
09-06-2012, 12:42 AM
if you go to harbor freight, they have clear boxes that have partitions that you can remove or add. they had a few to choose from, min holds 6 die sets and hand a handle that lays flat. $4.00

engineer401
09-07-2012, 07:14 PM
Inline fabrication makes die holders that mount to the wall. http://www.inlinefabrication.com/bushing_die_holders.html

Firebricker
09-07-2012, 08:52 PM
I like these for loose dies I use one for my star sizer dies and have one with a drawer for cleaning supplies in each caliber.
http://www.containerstore.com/shop/collections/hobby/drawers?productId=10008677&N=72540

Kevin Rohrer
09-07-2012, 09:02 PM
You could do it the expedient way by leaving them setup on the presses, and have the stations numbered and listed on a piece of paper as to what dies goes w/ which rifle. :guntootsmiley:

http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv29/KevinRohrer/Reloading/IMG_0627.jpg

no34570
09-10-2012, 12:54 AM
You could do it the expedient way by leaving them setup on the presses, and have the stations numbered and listed on a piece of paper as to what dies goes w/ which rifle. :guntootsmiley:

http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv29/KevinRohrer/Reloading/IMG_0627.jpg
Excuse my ignorance,but what sort of presses are they,they look massive?

LUBEDUDE
09-10-2012, 08:58 AM
I use a Plano (#3450) 6 compartment, plastic storage box and I use a Dremel to remove the left two or three ribs, cleaning them up with a SHARP chisel. They don't like the larger lock rings of Redding ... but work perfectly with Lee or RCBS rings and there's ample room for 5 or 6 dies of various types ... shell holders ... sample dummies ... whatever and they stack wonderfully. Here's my set up.

Very nice, organized setup.

And almost 200 sets of dies on this rack!

Romeo 33 Delta
09-10-2012, 06:38 PM
Thanks. Where they are stored is not a purpose-built unit ... just something I had lying around. I do have another smaller stash of dies for a total of about 212 calibers. If I were to rebuild this unit, I would actually make it with individual pigeon holes for each box and size the unit accordingly. If I can stop reloading long enough, I might just do that![smilie=b:

Kevin Rohrer
09-10-2012, 09:01 PM
Excuse my ignorance,but what sort of presses are they,they look massive?

Left corner: Hollywood Universal Model III Special (made in/after 1960, weight approx 58lbs)

Right side: Hollywood Universal Model B (1 of 100 made, made after 1945, weight approx 48lbs)

Foreground: Hollywood Senior Turret (probably made in the 1990s, weight approx 40lbs)

no34570
09-11-2012, 01:23 AM
Left corner: Hollywood Universal Model III Special (made in/after 1960, weight approx 58lbs)

Right side: Hollywood Universal Model B (1 of 100 made, made after 1945, weight approx 48lbs)

Foreground: Hollywood Senior Turret (probably made in the 1990s, weight approx 40lbs)
Sweet!
do they still make them?

Kevin Rohrer
09-11-2012, 08:29 AM
Sweet!
do they still make them?

The company got sold to a guy a long time ago. He is elderly now and reportedly has health problems, but "may" still be selling the Senior Turret. He reportedly pops-up at South Kalifornia gun shows.

These regularly appear on Ebay, especially during the winter and spring months. There are none there right now, but there were a few last month.

no34570
09-11-2012, 06:12 PM
The company got sold to a guy a long time ago. He is elderly now and reportedly has health problems, but "may" still be selling the Senior Turret. He reportedly pops-up at South Kalifornia gun shows.

These regularly appear on Ebay, especially during the winter and spring months. There are none there right now, but there were a few last month.
That would be bloody right,look massive they do,would cost an arm and a leg,maybe the whole body to send one of those here to Australia,very nice looking press,bugger!

Az Rick
09-11-2012, 06:28 PM
That's why I love my turret press. I've had my RCBS for many, many years. Extra turrets are about $40.00. You just leave dies set up and adjusted and change turrets when needed, takes just a minute or less.

LUBEDUDE
09-12-2012, 01:17 PM
I don't have time to change turrets, I just step over to another press. :Fire:

Primary bench- 8 presses- (3 turrets, 3 progressives) :drinks:

no34570
09-12-2012, 05:00 PM
I don't have time to change turrets, I just step over to another press. :Fire:

Primary bench- 8 presses- (3 turrets, 3 progressives) :drinks:
Wow,now that is a set-up,cool.:smile:

W.R.Buchanan
09-12-2012, 07:31 PM
I personally think the MTM boxes are the quickest and most cost effective way to do this task. I have several calibers that I have 8-10 dies for. I always have to hunt thru a bunch of different boxes to find which one I want.

The one thing that you really need to consider is how to keep your tools clean. Keeping dies in a closed box is the best way.

Reinventing the wheel for something as simple as die storage is not something I would dwell on. I'd just buy the MTM boxes and be done with it.

Randy

alamogunr
09-12-2012, 09:48 PM
Regarding the MTM die boxes, will they accommodate a .30-06 die set up to seat a 200 gr boolet(311299). No dimensions are given other than where the lock ring needs to be above the bottom. If the cover won't close, the purpose of a closed box is defeated for me.

I'm evaluating all the responses and still may build something when I replace the shelves above my bench. The MTM box is a possibility though.

alamogunr
09-12-2012, 09:52 PM
I remember looking at the Hollywood presses when I was a kid in high school. They were, to me, the ultimate in reloading equipment. The problem was I didn't have 2 nickles to rub together. That situation existed until after college, kids, etc. Now I have 2 nickles to rub together but when a Hollywood shows up on ebay, someone else is always able to throw more nickles at it than I am.

LUBEDUDE
09-12-2012, 10:09 PM
I remember looking at the Hollywood presses when I was a kid in high school. They were, to me, the ultimate in reloading equipment. The problem was I didn't have 2 nickles to rub together. That situation existed until after college, kids, etc. Now I have 2 nickles to rub together but when a Hollywood shows up on ebay, someone else is always able to throw more nickles at it than I am.

I know the feeling brotha!

One time there was some Hollywood Gear on ebay that I had been searching and waiting for a very, very, long time.

When it came down to the nut cutt'n I bid an insanely crazy amount of money only an idiot whom had money to burn would bid.

I mean if you put a gun to my head, I would Not tell you what it was or how much I bid.

I was out bid! :shock:

I was floored, and still am to this day. :veryconfu

:violin:

gnoahhh
09-13-2012, 12:02 PM
I just toss my dies loose into a big cardboard box with the other 50 or so that are already in there.

Kidding! Some live in their original boxes, some live in custom wood boxes I made with sliding lids (like an old fashioned candle box) and a wooden shelf built inside low enough to accommodate the tallest dies. Holes in the shelf are sized so a 7/8-14 die drops in, one box holds 12 dies. I got anal on the first one and threaded the holes, now I just drill them. A couple boxes were made from burly walnut that should've been saved for a gunstock. The only drawback I have found is with dies that don't have their ID stamped on top, so sometimes it's a hunt-and-peck to find the right ones which takes some time- but what's time to a pig?.

W.R.Buchanan
09-13-2012, 01:06 PM
I made tooling blocks for my Mill tooling but they are wide open as I use the stuff frequently,,, like everyday,. the stuff does get dust and dirt on it but I can jsut blow it clean with an air hose. I normally wipe collets and such clean before I insert them into the machine.

This is not something I would do with my dies as they don't get used that often.

How many dies do you have that won't fit in their original boxes? If it is only a few then maybe jsut make or find a box for them and leave the rest where they are.

Randy

o6Patient
12-28-2012, 05:06 PM
Kevin: those presses are sick. (I need a cigarette)

bowhunter
12-28-2012, 08:21 PM
569535695456955 this is how i store mine that i use the most, this is my homemade die rack, the others are kept in a cabinet.

alamogunr
12-28-2012, 08:50 PM
That's a good looking set up, Bowhunter. I was thinking along those lines but my thinking was sort of fuzzy. Your pictures have helped me a great deal. Thanks!