PDA

View Full Version : I need help!

Dogg
09-04-2012, 08:17 AM
hi, I don't get down here often cause I am pretty much an amature as you will soon see. But i need some help.
I recently bought a used Puma 454 casull (cheap,$300) which was wraped in camo tape. When I pulled the tape off I found out why it was there. The butt stockfit to rear tang was horrendous, proud mettal on both sides on top, 1/8 gap at front with tang and big gap all around. Is there a way to fill this in so that it is presentable? Will an after market Winchester 92 stock like what can be gotten from Boyds work on the Puma?

Second problem was the forearm/barrel band screw was not even close to long enough to engage the thread on the other side, is there a source for a longer screw (I have no idea what the size or thread size that would be needed)

Or... for something really different, could the 454 action be mated to the barrel (re-chambered to 454) and barrel cut to 20" of one of my other Rossi octagonal barreled 45lc, which I have several? A heavy octagonal barreled 454casull, would be pretty cool. Just wondering.

Thanks for any assistance given.
Dogg

Tokarev
09-04-2012, 05:22 PM
You can ask Boyds if their stocks work on Pumas. Don't hold me to it, but I thought Puma was an exact copy.

As to the screw, an industrial fastener supply shop will gladly put it thru the gauge and tell you what it is.
I got the Stevens/Savage action screws that way for buck a piece instead of ordering from Brownells.