PDA

View Full Version : 9mm and 308 bullets from scrap 223rem brass!

BT Sniper
09-04-2012, 01:52 AM
Spent the weekend perfecting a couple new bullets. The dies and all the extra tools will be sent out soon to a lucky customer.

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/9mmand308from223.jpg

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/P1070857.jpg

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/30cals.jpg

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/P1070866.jpg

These are the first 9mms I have made and even though I don't shoot 9mm this is how I would make them. I have used the same technique to make some .358s so not much different but the reuslting bullets look Awesome!

I could have just sent the 9mm dies to the customer and wished him luck but that isn't me, I wanted to make sure there was a perfect bullet that could be made from scrap brass and that I detailed each step of the way for the customer. A bit of ectra time on my part but should easy the learing curve for teh customers.

So I was able to make a perfect 105 grain XTP 9mm and a 190 grain .308 from one piece of scrap 223rem brass. The resutls where very impressive.

I cut the neck off the 223 case then cut it again .600 further back to give me the 9mm jacket I used a Lee 93 grain 32 cal mold and got perfect 105 grain XTP bullets.

Then with the left over 223 case that was about an inch long I anneled and reduced the case to 30 cal with gave me a jacket that was 1.2" in length and weighed 78 grains. The internial diameter of the jacket was about .270 so any core diameter under this would work well for a core, matter of fact the 100ish grain 24 or 25 cal cast bullet molds would probably even work well. I ahd some swage 1/4" diameter cores I use with my 5.7 30 cal jackets that I used.

I must say I like what became of the scrap 223 brass. If one could get their hands on some of those 223 blanks for scrap prices that would work very well. As it is I'm sure the sized dwon 223 mill brass will make a great 30 cal jacket.

I'll have some pics posed soon.

Got to get some sleep. My girls first day of school is in teh morning.

Good shooting and Swage On!

BT

BT Sniper
09-04-2012, 01:59 AM
Funny, my first post I googled about 223rem blank brass showed a post from 09 about a 5 gallon bucket a guy was offering for sale. He said he took it to the scrap yard and got 50 cents a pound for it!!!!! Deals are out there! That would have been a lot of 9mm and 30 cal bullets for next to nothing, matter of fact one probably could have traded him a couple hundred bullets made from scrap brass for all that brass. It's been done before! :)

kd185
09-04-2012, 06:41 AM
ok tell us more about the 9mm dies
price and availability?

Plinkster
09-04-2012, 07:06 AM
Now you've got me dreaming up big bullets for my 35 Whelen again, drat! And that 3 gallon bucket of .223 just languishing in the garage. :)

DukeInFlorida
09-04-2012, 07:27 AM
Brian, I brought a bucket of .223 blanks to the scrapper a month ago. $1.70 a pound. Didn't think they were good for anything else.

:(

nicholst55
09-04-2012, 11:31 AM
Brian, I brought a bucket of .223 blanks to the scrapper a month ago. $1.70 a pound. Didn't think they were good for anything else.

I need to send my scrap brass to Duke to sell! I scrapped some brass recently and only got $1 a pound.

BT Sniper
09-04-2012, 01:19 PM

I would have to think real hard for a piece of brass that doesn't make a good bullet :)

BT

DukeInFlorida
09-04-2012, 03:15 PM
My scrapper requires that I separate all nickle plated from the plain brass. and no steel whatsoever. That's how I get the $1.70.

GRUMPA
09-04-2012, 03:51 PM
C'mon BT Pistures??? I'm dying here, satisfy my curiosity well ya.

BT Sniper
09-04-2012, 05:29 PM
Got it up and running now. My virus protection was giving me fits with photobucket. still giving me fits but pics are in post #1

BS photobucket !!! Giving me fits!! Taken an hour just to load these pics!!!!

BT

GRUMPA
09-04-2012, 05:54 PM
With my connection all I get are blue squares with question marks in the middle of the squares. But with my red-neck connection I get that a lot.

BT Sniper
09-04-2012, 08:16 PM
Took me an hour to get het pics here. Time to take a break.

BT

vparra559
09-04-2012, 11:52 PM
Are those 9mm bullets made with ch4d dies?

BT Sniper
09-04-2012, 11:54 PM
Are those 9mm bullets made with ch4d dies?

YEP!

I'll be sending them off to customer hopfully this week. I added some extra internial parts to the die to get them to make these bullets but the die body is CH

Wait! I did allter one last thing...... The ch die has a .215 meplat, it was machined incorectly so I fixed it with a new .250 meplat so it has a larger HP and slightly shorter nose then the regular ch die

BT

zuke
09-05-2012, 05:38 PM
I scrap a lotta 223 brass, the market around here is just about zero.
But I do have a couple 30 cal's and a couple 303's.............

BT Sniper
09-05-2012, 09:04 PM
http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/9mmset.jpg

Dies are shipped to lucky customer. I added all the extra tooling as thank you for his patience.

Good shooting and swage on!

BT

p.s. added new pics to first post

Lizard333
09-05-2012, 10:36 PM
What was the cost BT??

GRUMPA
09-05-2012, 11:42 PM
Kinda glad you posted those extra pictures in post #1 BT, I just found out what I have a lot of would be way to short for making 9mm's with, OH well.

BT Sniper
09-05-2012, 11:51 PM
Kinda glad you posted those extra pictures in post #1 BT, I just found out what I have a lot of would be way to short for making 9mm's with, OH well.

Don't count it out yet! Anything is possible! You still got the full length neck on it....... maybe ??????????

I still have teh box you sent me too. Don't chuck them yet but what you have is certainly a challenge. Every once in a while my brain toys with the idea of what to use your cut offs for (223 cut off to make 300ACC brass). I'll come up with somthing some day.

Hope your 300 acc brass business is keep ing you busy. We need to get AmmoBrassTrader back!

BT

GRUMPA
09-05-2012, 11:55 PM
We need to get AmmoBrassTrader back!BT

Truer words were never spoken, I sure miss that site. I got 1 1/2 5gal buckets of them I hope you come up with something soon. Although a trip to the scrap yard isn't even in the planning stages, Phoenix being about my best option is a 4 1/2hr one way drive.

BT Sniper
09-06-2012, 12:00 AM
What was the cost BT??

These where a set of dies I aquired in nearly new condition. Very little use. I replaced all the internial componts, polished them up, made a lot of extras and got it to the customer for less then what I charge for the new set of CH dies. Customer was aware of the condition of the dies and he will no doubt get a lot of use out of these dies. They are better then new from CH now.

It was the only set of 9mm dies I have or have ever had. If everyone is interested I could look into making a custom set of BTSniper 9mm dies or someday if/when Ch ever makes more I'll be happy to offer a improved set for sale at my current prices.

If you guys are interested let me know.

BT

DukeInFlorida
09-06-2012, 11:08 AM
124 grain XTP style 9mm's would be what I would look for. I'm not a fan of light (105 grain or 115 grain) 9mm bullets. In fact, the 105's would be so light that they are really more for the .380 auto.

While I am prepping to give my M109 (US) Beretta to my son, I do load 357 Sigs for my carry gun, and use the 124 grain XTP's or 125 grain Speer Gold Dot's for that. I shoot 3-4,000 of those every six months or so. Would be a big money saver for me.

khamill2000
09-06-2012, 11:13 AM
This is the reason that I only buy dies from BT. Well worth the wait.
Also, when he starts selling his own presses, I'll be in line for that too.
Looking forward to trying them all out.

:bigsmyl2:

BT Sniper
09-06-2012, 11:23 AM
They will be there tomorrow. I need to write up some simple instructions. I'm working on all the rest of yoru dies right now. My girls are in school and my progress has improved dramaticaly.

Thank you for your patience and support.

Good Shooting and Swage On!

BT

BT Sniper
09-06-2012, 11:32 AM
As far as the 115-125 grain range of 9mm bullets.... NO PROBLEM!

I made some using both sized down 9mm brass and 223 brass. I made some perfect 118 grain 9mm bullets. I'll have to post a pic. I think I had to use less then the 93 grains of the Lee .311 mold but anything is possible. I know I use the same 93 grain cast boolit cores with sized down and cut 9mm brass to make 145 grain .358 JHP bullets. Doing the math it looks like one would need a 70 grain core with sized 9mm or 223 brass to make 125 grain 9mm bullets.

The sollution I found was out of simplisity and using available commercial core molds for teh 105 grain bullets. It was just one of many options. Matter of fact!!!!!! it would be simple to drill a few holes in the bottom of a 6 cavity mold and make your own cores for the 125 grian bullets from sized down brass, then you would have a heck of a 9mm bullet for sure!

Anything is possible.

Good shooting and swage on!

BT

BT Sniper
09-06-2012, 11:36 AM
Oh yes..... a BTSniper press! That may just be in the cards but more likly a simple upgrade kit for the Lee Classic Cast would probably come first. So far with improved linkages that give the lee more leverage I have found it capible of all my swage needs.

Now in the back of my mind I am still coming up with plans for a simple pnumatic press that will simplify deriming and sizing operations. Someday soon!

BT

Thetraveler
09-10-2012, 04:03 PM
I would be very interested in a combo .308 and 9mm set, with all the trimmings you put in this set. With your new dies or the modded CH set and your price for it. :) or if none exists new give me the info I need to find the used ones I need to get my hands on.

I have been reading this forum and followed almost every link in the swaging group and must commend you all on all the hard work and knowledge freely given to help others it is refreshing to see.

Also a question is it possible to add a Boat tale to the .308's or is the .223 brass to thick around the base to make it feasible?

as far as the 9mm 124Gr Xtp is what I would be after as well and probably 180Gr Spitzer on the .308

monmouth
11-08-2013, 09:45 AM
My head just exploded from this thread. I Google'd "223 case swage .308" to see if it could be done and sure enough, BT has already done it.

Brian, I'm really really interested in this.

Neilsuper
08-02-2018, 10:24 PM
Would it be possible to put a boat tail on the 308s ?

MUSTANG
08-02-2018, 11:29 PM
Would it be possible to put a boat tail on the 308s ?

A boat tail CAN be put onto a .308 bullet formed from a case. Although I am still a work in progress swaging .308 bullets from 9mm brass cases; I am putting boat tails (Rebated Boat Tails) such as in this thread: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?363261-Revisit-9mm-Brass-to-308-Jackets&highlight=

BTSniper (Brian Thune) can probably wade in with practical experience using cut down .223 cases. I've not gone into that area yet. You might drop him a PM (Personal Message) as BT Sniper is a Vendor Sponsor on the site.

10x
09-29-2018, 11:50 PM
Any plans on a 0.366 set???
My 9.3 x 57 is longing for 220 and 240 grain bullets.

Mr_Sheesh
09-30-2018, 04:37 AM
Very interesting! What would a set for 9mm and 308 swaging run? Would they work on a Rockchucker Press?

DukeInFlorida
10-03-2018, 07:20 PM
Brian will have to reply with pricing. However, I can attest to the fact that his tool sets work perfectly well with a RockChucker press.
Couple of suggestions about the press:
1) Don't bolt the RockChucker to the normal bench overhang, which is the way the press is designed. The stress will RIP the bench overhang right off. I have made some custom weldments for attaching the swaging RockChuckers. An even better solution is to use the bench plates from Inline Fabrications. They are planty strong enough for this task.
2) The OLD STYLE Rockchucker press is far superior for this swaging than the new style. Get one of the older ones.
3) The weak link, literally, is the pivot pin that connects the press linkage to the bottom of the ram. Replace that with the unthreaded portion of a 3/8 GRADE 8 bolt. A 6" bolt will have enough unthreaded area to provide you with a strong pivot pin, once you cut it to length.
4) You'll need a longer handle to make the swaging easier. The normal handle for the RockChucker is 1 foot long. I added a 1 foot aluminum rod (about 2" in diameter), with a drilled hole (drilled and tapped to accept the threads of the handle, where the ball normall threads on), so that the resultant length when I am swaging is 2 feet. It's plenty of leverage.
5) The job is also easier if you specify threaded bottom tools. Brian can provide bottom punches with 1/2" threads. You'll need to buy a threaded top ram to replace the T-Slot ram that comes with the press. You can get that threaded ram from Brian.

Once you have made those changes to your press, it will swage bullets like crazy!!

Welcome to the world of swaged bullets, using brass cases as the donor jackets for bullets.

My 9mm swaging set makes 380 auto and 9mm bullets that are just like the Hornady equivalents. Those use the cut ends of a 223 Rem case as the donor jacket.

My 308" bullet swaging set uses 5.7 X 28 FN brass as the donor jackets. My set up doesn't allow me to use one die set to do both. I suppose I could if I got a couple of extra draw reduction dies (to make the bottom end of the 223 Rem sized right for the .308 final dimension. Be sure you understand the abilities of each die set you get.

Very interesting! What would a set for 9mm and 308 swaging run? Would they work on a Rockchucker Press?

Mr_Sheesh
10-04-2018, 05:08 PM
DukeInFlorida - TY! Sigh, another project LOL

My poor budget is now curled up, crying, in the corner... It's entitled, this's gonna hurt it!

hlvabeach
10-04-2018, 08:39 PM
Hi BT. I am very interested in the 308 and 9mm set. What are the prices for this?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

nun2kute
10-21-2018, 08:05 AM
hlvabeach-you can find BT in the Vender/Sponsor area at the bottom of the main page for Castboolits. His price list is there.