PDA

View Full Version : Questions about an old Ideal measure

Coffeecup
09-03-2012, 08:43 PM
I've got this old measure and am trying to figure out which it is. The powder flask part of it is a tin cylinder roughly 2" in diameter and about 8 1/2" long. The lid is missing, so that's no help (I figured if I use it, I'd just turn one out of wood). Everything seems functional on it, and with a little cleanup it should go back to work without problems--I'm just curious which model it is, and any tips anyone might care to offer. Thanks!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_1363850454e5644916.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=6542)

Sorry for the lousy pic, it was just a quick snapshot when the measure came home.

Green Frog
09-03-2012, 10:02 PM
Looks like my #1 to me. Does it have a little thumbscrew to move the slide in and out and lock it to adjust charges? How tall is the reservoir tube, are you saying it is 8 1/2" tall? The reservoir on mine is not original so I can't compare that part.

Froggie

Coffeecup
09-03-2012, 10:31 PM
Thanks for the reply, Froggie!

There's a thumbscrew at the base of the handle to move the cylinder in and out (looks like that is for large adjustments in charge), and another on the brass scale (to allow smaller adjustments I guess). There's a scale and a patent date on the brass that I hadn't noticed before. The third set screw serves as a stop at each end of the handle rotation (if that makes any sense).

Thinking about it, I'm not sure I could have taken a worse picture to use to ask questions about this measure, I'll try to shoot some more tomorrow in the sunlight. It is supposed to be cloudy enough the light should be fairly diffuse, which will help taking pics of a black measure.

Measured from the casting to the end of the powder reservoir, it is 8 3/8" plus a hair. The reservoir is made of rolled sheet metal with a folded seam on the side; the upper end is folded to reinforce it. I can get some closeups of this if it will help you with your measure, just let me know.

Jim

Green Frog
09-05-2012, 03:04 PM
I'd love to see the pix, but I'm pretty sure my answer will still come back to you that it's an Ideal #1 (patented about 1899??) I have been using mine for BP with charges of about 22-45 grains, and it worked out OK when I used it for small charges of BullsEye too. The original sheet metal reservoir was long gone when I got mine, but it had been replaced with a piece of thin-walled brass tubing, nickel plated. It's actually a pretty good powder measure. :)

Froggie