PDA

View Full Version : 410 w/rb

krag35
09-03-2012, 08:20 PM
Just a quick test to see if I should experiment further.

Federal 2 1/2" hulls
Win 209 primer
15.0 gr H-110
Rem SP wad
3 .375 RB
.60 X 44cal. card wad between balls
shooting done at 25 yds

1st shot, good elevation, 4" to the right, I held on the left edge of the target for the rest of the test"

2 shots, 6 holes in an 8" group (+/-)

Same as above except 4 .375 RB

3 shots, 12 holes 10" (+/-)

I think I'll cut the crimp off of some 3" hulls and try to do a better job roll crimping this time.

From what I can remember these are faster than a 36 cap and ball revolver, and would be like being shot 4 times at the same instant. Should deter 2 legged critters and turn 4 legged ones into meat.

SuperBlazingSabots
09-03-2012, 09:11 PM
Hello Krag, see if this information helps :
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=158740
if not then look for Turbo's posts on .410.
I cant help as I do not own .410 shotgun!
Ajay
BlazingSabots@Gmail.com
Blazing Sabots, LLC
www.BlazingSabots.com
www.PreciousVideoMemories.com

jh45gun
09-05-2012, 07:08 AM
If your getting poor roll crimps and do not want to mess with them just put a over the shot card wad over the balls and seal in place with Fingernail polish. It works great.

turbo1889
09-08-2012, 03:36 PM
For multi-ball loads in the 410-bore I find that I got my best patterns with 0.395" size balls cast from hard WW-alloy that is water drop quenched or equivalent hardness balls with one of the thinner 0.07" thick nitro card in-between each of the balls in the stack. Half of a Guiliani stub wad for a gas seal with felt wad crush section then a regular thickness nitro or two and then the balls with the thin nitro's in-between them. I had good results with 2400 and Lil'Gun powders in both the 2-1/2" and 3" shell lengths with loads using three balls and IMR-4227 worked well with four ball loads in the 3" shells

That extra 0.020" larger size over a 3/8" ball seems to make a difference along with casting them hard and using buffer in the load and using the thinner 0.07" thickness nitro cards in-between the balls actually seemed to tighten up the patterns better then using buffer strangely enough. All these loads being shot out of smooth bore long guns.

You can also use true bore size balls (0.410"-0.413") but you can only use hard alloy with those if your gun has no choke constriction. The 0.395" ball is about as big as you can go and use good hard balls that stay round and don't get squished and mangled in a multi-ball load and still have a load that is "choke safe". Not to mention that you can pick up a cheap mold from Lee in that size where as true bore size molds is either an expensive ($120) RCBS mold or a custom mold.