PDA

View Full Version : Dan Wesson Questions

scrapcan
05-18-2007, 05:45 PM
I have the opportunity to buy a Dan Wesson 357 stainless. Not sure which model it is as I have not seen it or fondled it yet. Here are some comments and questions.

1) What is a reasonable price? This is a new model, not the old style. has two barrels, not sure about barrel change tools or exact length on barrels. I believe the barrels to be 2.5, and 4. will no more in a copule of days.

2) Bad thing is the last owner used a cheap engraver to engrave his SSN into the frame. I have not seen how bad it is. I was wondering if a person could just bead blast to remove the last woners poor judgement.

The last owner had 9 hand guns that he treated in the same manner. I am fixing a Walter S&W imported ppk-s in 32 that he engraved both front and backstrap. No big deal there. It will be hard to tell when done. Also have been asked to try to clean up a taurus millenium pro 145BP that he engraved on the slide.

Don't know what the previous owner was thinking, but I want to hear what all of you have to say.

longhorn
05-18-2007, 09:58 PM
Vibrating engravers should be harder to buy than 1921 Thompsons. Look up an old Skeeter Skelton article entitled "Bustamante, I Hate You!" Good luck.

waksupi
05-18-2007, 10:06 PM
Dremel - Ruining fine firearms, since 1956.

Dye
05-18-2007, 10:32 PM
waksupi
Is it the Dremel or the operator is not as smart as the Dremel.

Be carefull Dye

cbrick
05-19-2007, 12:11 PM

When a moron robs a bank with a gun is it the guns fault?

When a moron stabs someone during a crime is it the fault of the knife?

When a moron uses a Dremel tool to mark up a nice firearm is it the fault of Dremel?

Rick

scrapcan
05-20-2007, 03:20 PM
ok guys I hear you loud and clear. I would have done what many of you woudl have done. But he has since moved on to happier engraving grounds. His dad is taking a beating for his actions. All are priced right for shooters. But I don't know much about DWs.

This is a Monson, Mass marked gun. 357. 2.5 and 4 inch. has the custom brass round knob shaped barrel nut wrench and the cylinder gap gage. What woul dit be worth as just a shooter.

by the way there is an excellent other than engraved S&W model 66-2 six inch. Much worse ont eh engraving front. But all markings on both seem to be in areas that can be cleaned up with light and careful draw filing.

Anyway thanks for reading the thread.

Lloyd Smale
05-20-2007, 05:37 PM
just turned a 350 dollar gun into a 150 dollar gun.

scrapcan
05-21-2007, 01:10 AM
Loyd, You don't know how right you are. There was a Para P12, two smith 59, Berreta 92F, Glock 21, Taurus Millenium Pro 45 and 9mm, S&W66,Dan Wesson Large Frame 357, and a walther ppk-s.

Took a few good guns and made them nothing but cheap shooters. The para and the Walther cleaned up good, just alot of patience, elbow grease, and careful and concientious attitude.

Still no comments on the DW?

BD
05-21-2007, 10:19 AM
I have a blued Monson DW M-15 which I bought used for $250. It has the most beautiful blueing I've ever seen and is very accurate. When I bought it it had a 6" barrel which had been ruined at the crown by cleaning from the muzzle, (the guy had bought it used without a barrel wrench). It has a beautiful single action trigger and a very poor double action trigger, despite several afternoons spent slicking it up. It also suffers from the occasion light primer strike, despite a new FP and spring. I believe the firing pin cavity is not milled deep enough. This gun is sort of a continuing long term project. I bought a 4" barrel for it and it makes a workable woods gun in 4". Trigger work on the m-15s is very difficult as everything drags on both sides inside the frame. The larger framed guns have a different trigger design. I also own a new SS 744 which is extremely accurate and now has an excellent trigger after a single afternoon of smoothing and polishing. The .357 "pistol packs" with three barrels and the original box go for about $750 in excellant condition. I'd offer about $150 for the one boogered up by the dremel. In the worst case, if the barrels and shrouds are in good condition you can more than get your investment back selling the parts online. On the other hand if you ever run across one of the Norwich 744's, grab it.
BD

scrapcan
05-21-2007, 12:26 PM
BD thaks for the input. Is the model 15 the midsize frame? This on seems to be a bit larger than the k frame. Feels much bigger. Both double and single action are very nice pulls. It is just a large hunk of iron to hold onto. I have it fully stripped and in process of how to proceed. I have not decided to buy I just said I would have a look at how deep the markings are and if cleanup can be done. Safely and carefully. Good thing is there is no original markings in the area of attention.

Very interesting design on the internals. Inside the machine work and finish is excellent, much less on teh outside. I did find the following page with some info on DW.

http://www.notpurfect.com/main/dwrev.htm

If this was the midsize I would be all over it for a shooter. I guess I need to lube and put it back together and shoot it before I make a decisions to pass.

Should there be markings on it to indicate the model? I can get the serial number when I get home as I don't have it with me.

Mallard57
05-21-2007, 02:18 PM
I also have a blued model 15 in a .357 Mag. I like it for what it's worth. The bluing isn't the greatest and it definitely isn't the strongest frame out there. That all being said,the one you are looking at is stainless, you can change barrels cheaply and easy enough, and they are darn accurate. I believe Dw only made one size frame for .357 revolvers. I'm guessing here so don't take this as gospel, I would imagine a stainless gun with two barrels would be worth $350.00 to $400.00. Most of the blued guns with just one barrel I see are around $250.00. I don't know what to tell you about the engraving other than I'd be wanting it discounted substantially. If you get it cheap enough it would be a great gun for shooting and to have as a woods companion.
Jeff

scrapcan
05-21-2007, 03:02 PM
Mallard57,

Appreciate your comments. Where I am at we are really lacking in gunshops and even sporting goods stores, let alone a place to find used items. Lots of private treaty but you never get good results when asking pricing. You guys are helping me with that.
Jeremy

MT Gianni
05-21-2007, 07:41 PM
There seemed to me to be a little more iron in a Mod 15 than a K frame but the holsters and speedloaders are interchangeable. Gianni

BD
05-22-2007, 05:45 PM
In my experience the M-15 frame DW's are far stronger than the k-frames, and they are definately larger. I like the fact that you can carve virtually any grip shape you'd like. Likewise the 744's are larger and stronger than the N frames with cylinder walls just a smidge thicker than the rugers. But IMHO they are more "shootable", particularly double action. My 744 has many thousands of pretty stiff loads through it and it's just getting broke in. It's been down rivers and up big pine trees with no ill effect.

I really like the DW's but there has been some variation in the quality of what they've produced under the different ownship arrangements. I'd buy the gun with the good trigger at a fair price over the fancy one for big money and not worry about the "engraving" for a minute. Every mans canoe needs an accurate revolver thats not afraid to get a little bit dirty.
BD

gregg
05-22-2007, 07:45 PM
I have a 2.5 inch barreled Monson, Mass DW M-715 SS.
The good is it my protect my life gun. Hangs on my
bed and travels with me on trips that sometimes takes
you to bad places. That said. Finish is bad. to much buffing.
Cly. Mouths .360 barrel .355. Try to shoot cast in this one?
Timeing is really good
With Jacketed bullets shoot really well. SA and DA very good.
Thats not just me that thinks so. Use to shoot falling plates
with it. Guys thought I was nuts till they tried it then they also
really liked it . It will stay with me and yes its rode in a canoe.:-)
Being SS hopfully you can work out the bad. I bought a Charter Arms
22 SS Pathfinder with ADJ sights cheap once because someone let
it rust some. Cleaned up well.
Trying to give you both sides of the deal.
OBTW I don't have a clue what its worth. I think I would stay close
to the $200 mark????????????????????/
Not many like the DW's right or wrong that the way it seems????????