PDA

View Full Version : So there I was...

Rangefinder
09-03-2012, 03:52 AM
... Minding my own business at the 4-Corners Motorcycle rally today. We were getting ready to leave and I thought I'd duck into a pawn shop that just so happened to be located between me and the wife, and my bike. So, I said "Mind if I duck in for a minute? I just wanna have a look really fast..."

In the case by the register I see.... RELOADING stuff. among them I see a Lyman mold on RCBS small handles... "Hmmm," I say. "Can I have a look at the bullet (boolit) mold? and proceed to do so.

"Don't know much about it..." the guy says. "Probably for an '06 because it measures about .310 or so."

"Well," I say with a shrug, " what do you want for it?" noticing the sticker says $20.

"$15 and it's all yours," the guy says, seemingly happy with himself.

"Okay," I say, digging out $15 from my wallet...

It's a 311284 Lyman 2-cav on RCBS handles for $15... I'm pretty proud of myself today! :bigsmyl2: Actually drops at 218gr with tin-sweetened WW alloy, finishes at about 222gr.with GC and lubed. The Mosin isn't gonna be the same now... LOL

EMC45
09-03-2012, 09:40 AM
Aw shucks.....$15. I think you may have over paid..........:kidding:

WILCO
09-03-2012, 10:15 AM
That's a heck of a deal! Congrats!!

Rangefinder
09-03-2012, 11:16 AM
Except NOW I've got a pretty big problem. When I posted I thought I was still in "Mold Maint. & Design" (2nd down from the group above). So I posted in the wrong section! This just won't do. I'm gonna have to rush right out to the shop and put some loads together and develop a favorite one ASAP so that my post is legitimate!!! :D

I'll Make Mine
09-03-2012, 06:49 PM
Sounds to me like anything you make with that mold will be a favorite, if you like heavy/slow (and a lot of folks do).

Hamish
09-03-2012, 07:16 PM
Well, iffn you want to make ten bucks, have Steve move this thread to the S&S,,,,,:p

Blammer
09-04-2012, 06:29 PM
good snag!

HighHook
09-04-2012, 07:30 PM
You Scored!

Rangefinder
09-05-2012, 01:05 PM
HEY!! I officially have a favorite load for this--now it can be in this category legitimately!! It's not what you'd expect though. ;)

Was thinking about the 300 Blackout and 300 Whisper last night. And thought it would be a fun concept for the AK. It's a non-cycling load at this point, mind you. But a slow-moving Grayhound bus is a good comparison when you think about pushing a 220gr. boolit out of an AK chambered in the normal 7.62x39... I was a little worried about stabilizing that long bugger, but at 25 yds it patterned 1/2" touching holes and non showed even the slightest wobble sign. Kinda sounded like a deep-throated .22LR too---nice and quiet with a paltry 4.4gr Red Dot behind it. :D Now to play with some other powders...