PDA

View Full Version : Silicone Oil

Marlin Junky
09-03-2012, 01:04 AM
Regarding boolit lube, has anyone experimented with silicone oils (and/or greases)?

Will stuff like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-24115-Caliper-Hi-Temp-Silicone/dp/B000HBGKH4/ref=pd_sbs_auto_1

dissolve in beeswax?

MJ

Ben
09-03-2012, 03:27 AM
Specs say it will not liquefy, even at extreme temperatures.
So it might be very hard to get it to dissolve in beeswax ?

popper
09-03-2012, 11:01 AM
My experience with silicon oils showed me they are not a very good high speed lube for anything. Similar results like teflon.

Marlin Junky
09-03-2012, 07:29 PM
My experience with silicon oils showed me they are not a very good high speed lube for anything. Similar results like teflon.

In retrospect, that particular Permatex I included above was not a very good selection; however, there are many types of silicone oil.

What have you tested Popper?

MJ

popper
09-05-2012, 01:49 PM
BruceB may correct me, but silicon 'oil' is a low speed higher viscosity lube. Was added to engine oils as was teflon, no longer used. Navy spec'd it for a lot of equipment, didn't prevent rusting at all. I think it was used because it, like teflon, is inert, doesn't react with much of anything. No, I haen't tested it as a bullet lube, I see no reason, just like teflon - not the right stuff.

geargnasher
09-06-2012, 08:50 PM
Like MJ said, silicone oil can be made into just about anything from water-like to heavy, stiff drawing lubes like RCBS case lube II. The achilles's heel of the silicones is two-fold: Compatibility with water and thermal decomposition. When silicone oil gets hot enough it reverts to sand. Neither particularly rules it out as a boolit lube component, but both attributes need to be evaluated against bore enviroment and other proposed lube constituents before testing. The silicones, if I remember right, don't possess any particularly strong extreme-pressure properties, either.

Gear

popper
09-07-2012, 09:34 AM
don't possess any particularly strong extreme-pressure properties Correct, therefore not good for high speed either.

Marlin Junky
09-08-2012, 04:22 PM
Like MJ said, silicone oil can be made into just about anything from water-like to heavy, stiff drawing lubes like RCBS case lube II. The achilles's heel of the silicones is two-fold: Compatibility with water and thermal decomposition. When silicone oil gets hot enough it reverts to sand. Neither particularly rules it out as a boolit lube component, but both attributes need to be evaluated against bore enviroment and other proposed lube constituents before testing. The silicones, if I remember right, don't possess any particularly strong extreme-pressure properties, either.

Gear

Perhaps silicone oil doesn't excel with regard to the properties we're seeking in a boolit lube; however, it should work well as a mold lubricant... especially a silicone oil designed for use in an oven; i.e., where pressure is not an issue.

MJ

zomby woof
09-08-2012, 08:05 PM
Perhaps silicone oil doesn't excel with regard to the properties we're seeking in a boolit lube; however, it should work well as a mold lubricant... especially a silicone oil designed for use in an oven; i.e., where pressure is not an issue.

MJ

Did you ever use the sample of silicone oil I sent you?

Marlin Junky
09-08-2012, 08:51 PM
Did you ever use the sample of silicone oil I sent you?

I haven't had a chance to cast a single boolit this year but am getting ready to cast some Ranch Dog 311-170's and your sample of silicone oil is sitting on my work bench right next to the mold. So how do I get more oil if it works for me? The mailing envelope soaked up a portion of the oil (must'a been a leak) and there's only a couple drops remaining for testing. I've been saving what made it through the mail for a special occasion.

MJ

bruce381
09-09-2012, 01:39 AM
gear is correct also Silicone oils will not mix with about anything and bad lubrication properties as well as gelling to a solid when heated makes a not a real easy to work with lube.

geargnasher
09-09-2012, 01:57 AM
Certain silicone oils DO make a decent sprue plate lube as I've mentioned before, especially on aluminum moulds.

Gear

Marlin Junky
09-09-2012, 05:13 AM
Certain silicone oils DO make a decent sprue plate lube as I've mentioned before, especially on aluminum moulds.

Gear

Just "decent" sprue plate lubes? In other words, not equal or surpassing the effectiveness of the synthetic 2-stroke oils? Nevertheless, I'll still give the silicone oil a spin around the block; however, it probably won't be until next weekend.

G' night, lube fans...

MJ

zomby woof
09-09-2012, 06:25 PM
I haven't had a chance to cast a single boolit this year but am getting ready to cast some Ranch Dog 311-170's and your sample of silicone oil is sitting on my work bench right next to the mold. So how do I get more oil if it works for me? The mailing envelope soaked up a portion of the oil (must'a been a leak) and there's only a couple drops remaining for testing. I've been saving what made it through the mail for a special occasion.

MJ

I've had that stuff for years. I've found liquid silicone on the web for lubricating tread mills.

sorry about the leak....