PDA

View Full Version : Name this Press? Help!

GLL
09-02-2012, 10:35 PM
I have lost the reference to this Forum photo. It was saved to show the RCBS A4 but what is the name of the little press on the right? Is that the Champion?

http://www.fototime.com/E50E056BB0609F5/medium800.jpg

Jerry

44Vaquero
09-02-2012, 11:31 PM
I believe you are correct! That's one hell of a stout press!

http://www.ch4d.com/catalog/presses/033000

r1kk1
09-03-2012, 01:19 AM
Yes it is and I'm a proud owner of a Champion. Solid 1-1/8" ram and priming disposal drops straight into a trash can. No slop and very stout. Will handle 1" dies. CH4D will stop production on this and the OWS Rock Crusher in the future.

Take care,

r1kk1

LUBEDUDE
09-03-2012, 08:37 PM
What a couple of beasts!

Walt
09-03-2012, 09:24 PM
Old school C.I. is cool.

quasi
09-03-2012, 10:14 PM
thats my picture comparing the Big Max and the Heavyweight Champion, or as C-H now calls it the Champion.

C-H at one time made a smaller, cast Aluminum press called the Champion, and the shown press was the Heavyweight Champion. I imagine when the Ownership changed and or the Aluminum press was dropped, they simplified the name on the big press.

RGMJ
09-03-2012, 10:25 PM
What on earth do you reload with these MONSTERS ????...Bet you can reload a 105mm howitzer round on them if you could find a shell holder to fit one on the ram...LOL!!!

r1kk1
09-03-2012, 10:42 PM
I was looking for a heavyweight press like the a-series or big maxx but RCBS dropped them. I want to thank quasi for posting the original pic and answering my email. I had an old champion with slotted ram and an early a2 press but I endured a burglary in the 80s. I bought another champion after talking to quasi and a package weighing over 30 lbs arrived. The new version does not have a slotted ram and very heavy duty. The ram alignment to die hole was spot on. I do not have to guide brass into a die, it's dead on. Dave at ch4d did me good. It is a pleasure to use an ergonomic and brute press. The handle is solid just like the ram, nothing hollow.

I can not say enough good about it. The die bushing is just about as long as lee bullet sizing die and I had Dave make me a ram extension drilled to drop primers through because I also use a very old lee decapping die too. It works great. Two other presses I will add are the coax and redding ultramag. I am very impressed with the redding presses as each one is hand fitted to each press and it shows. I love very well made tools. They feel great, look great, and hold value.

Take care

r1kk1

r1kk1
09-06-2012, 02:33 PM
http://s945.photobucket.com/albums/ad300/r1kk2/

this is a slew of pics on the champion

GLL
09-06-2012, 05:19 PM
quasi: Thank you for the reminder of where I found the original photo. Your reference was helpful when I bought my A4 !

r1kk1: Thank you for posting the new photos of the Champion ! It is a press I am considering.

Jerry

r1kk1
09-06-2012, 07:05 PM
I can't say enough good about it. Very ergonomic even before it was a buzz word.

Your welcome. Sorry it took awhile to post pics but I've been bush and will be in Denver on my way Kingwood Tx by Sunday and back in OK Monday night. It's that travel nursing thing and we have a 40 ft toy hauler that we live in.

Take care

r1kk1

Twinkiethekid
09-09-2012, 09:07 PM
That is a nice champion press! I had one just like it but sold it.

r1kk1
09-10-2012, 06:23 PM
That is a nice champion press! I had one just like it but sold it.

I couldn't sell mine. I had an a burglary where they almost cleaned out my reloading room. This and a couple other presses I've replaced. Some things I've YET to replace. What single stage did you buy later?

Take care

r1kk1

o6Patient
12-28-2012, 05:23 PM
They can double duty as boat anchors, awesome "beasts"

r1kk1
12-28-2012, 07:38 PM
They can double duty as boat anchors, awesome "beasts"

NOT boat anchors. Very serviceable presses. The Champion is the only press that I know of where CH4D makes swaging dies. Rest of the reloading companies that I know of don't. Corbin would be the exception.

Take care

r1kk1

o6Patient
01-11-2013, 02:45 PM
NOT boat anchors. Very serviceable presses. The Champion is the only press that I know of where CH4D makes swaging dies. Rest of the reloading companies that I know of don't. Corbin would be the exception.

Take care

r1kk1

Nobody said they weren't "serviceable" presses...hence the word "awesome", ..did I speak slow enough this time?
"Boat anchor" was referring to their weight only and was intended to add a little levity..sorry it was waisted on you. Best regards.
:kidding:

o6Patient
01-12-2013, 08:30 AM
Humor! Humor! Humor Alert!
Disclaimer: !no feelings were intentionally damaged in the making of this post.
:-D:bigsmyl2:[smilie=l::kidding::kidding::kidding::kidding::kidd ing::2_high5: