PDA

View Full Version : paper discs

edwin41
09-02-2012, 05:22 PM
i am paperpatching for the 6.5x55 mm cartridge , and i noticed i had a perforator
to punch holes in paper , like the ones one uses at the office or so.
these little discs that are punched out were the perfect size for the bottom of my
casted 140 gr bullet . [lyman mould , gascheck design ].

i found some glossy magazine paper and punched some holes through it.
the obtained discs i wet with water , and stick them to the bullets base.
then i wrap my patching paper soaking wet around the bullet , and i twist the tail
until it tears off , the ends i tab and roll with my fingers around the base.
it kind of looks like the bullets from 303 guy , were the base is showing , exept
that i can see the paper disc.

shot some 25 rounds this way this evening , grouping was very good .
19.5 gr of accurate 5477 powder , federal 210 primer , paperwrap starts at first driving band , so the nose is completly exposed.
the lead bullet is sized to 6.45 mm in my homemade sizer.

nice thing i found out this evening is that i can pick up the mentioned discs at some five yards from the muzzle , and that they are fully intact !
so , the bulletsbase must be very well protected this way .

1874Sharps
09-02-2012, 11:03 PM
Interesting, I have never tried anything like that. Keep us posted and perhaps you could give us some photos. That would help me, anyway, to visualize things.

Aces an Eights
09-04-2012, 01:25 AM
A "Hollow Punch" set you can get at a hardware store would be great for other cals too.

So far, I've just used them for keeping my nasty homemade lube away from the powder.

edwin41
10-20-2012, 03:42 PM
this is my set up.
notice the little round discs , theyre made with a perforator like one uses to punch holes in paper so that they would fit in a map.
these discs are just the right size for my lyman 140 gr loverin style bullets.
i wet them in water and stick them to the bottom of the bullet , then i wrap twice
with a soaked in water patch.
the end of the patch i twist off , the little edges i bend over the base, the disc is visible , looks kind of .303 guy bullets , wich is also the one who let me to this idea.
the discs i punched out of advertise material , like a glossy paper.
its a little more rugged than normal paper , and the thing is , i have found some discs
after firing the cartridge , unburned and in one piece , so if the discs survive i m pretty sure that the bulletbase is perfectly secured by them.

another thing of interest would be that the bulletbase is critical to accurasy.
a little offset would distord the bullets path somewhat when leaving the muzzle.
with these discs i know ill have this potential problem solved.