PDA

View Full Version : 358429

GP100man
09-02-2012, 04:27 PM
I now ,thanks to a trade own 4 Lyman 358429 molds ,1 DC & 3 SC ,been looking at HPing 1 via Buckshot ,but I just got around to casting with my traded mold & while it casts beatifull .360+ round boolits it`s longer(AOL) than any I cast with before!! due to different front band, it`s wider than any previous mold before!!

Has anyone ran into this before on different 358429s ???

In my GPs it`s only .020" from the end of the cyl & I`ll have to keep the case tite & a good crimp to hold it as with my alloy & lubed it weighs in at 180 grs.

The weight does`nt concern me it`s the AOL length is .020 gonna be enuff ??? I know ,I know ,load some up & shoot & measure .

The front band on this one is .357 ,no problem chambering ,it`s just so close to the face of the cyl that has me concerned.

:castmine:

theperfessor
09-02-2012, 09:14 PM
Here is a thread on this very subject:

http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=156670&highlight=358429

Bigslug
09-02-2012, 09:16 PM
I don't have any data for you other than measurement of a couple of guns, and will be watching this thread with interest. I'm intrigued by this general bullet profile and still in the process of learning what the variations are among the various clones. What works at .357 cartridge lengths seems to be the big question.

My GP-100's cylinder - 1.610" from front to back; 1.665" with the rim of a cartridge added in.

S&W 640-1 - cylinder is roughly 1.5915"; with rim 1.645"

Seems like the obvious answers would be to move the crimp groove forward (shrinking the front driving band and enlarging the middle); widening the meplat a little more to decrease nose length (hard to do on a Keith bullet); or taking lead off the nose and moving it to the lube groove, shrinking it slightly.

Doubtless this has all been looked at by now and something been done in such a way as to retain the general Keith SWC formula in an "all .357's" formula, though I've yet to divine what the answer was. Hopefully, the Jedi Masters will chime in soon.

GLL
09-02-2012, 09:29 PM
Any discussion of the "358429" must include WHICH "358429" you are talking about ! :)
One of the dozen IDEAL/LYMAN variations, the H&G/ Ballisti-Cast, one of the various LEE GROUP BUYS, an NOE Group Buy, or a BRP. The dimensions and lube configurations are all over the map !

Jerry

Just three of about eight I have
http://www.fototime.com/3EAAC8FAD902CCD/standard.jpg

Bigslug
09-02-2012, 11:58 PM
Any discussion of the "358429" must include WHICH "358429" . . . The dimensions and lube configurations are all over the map !

Indeed they are. To take the map analogy even further, this seems to be one of those "beyond here there be dragons" things on the outer edges of the .357's dimensional envelope; that is further complicated by the fact that as one of Elmer Keith's good ideas, it generates a lot of interest.

I guess what relative newbies like myself need is a discussion of the properties of the various 358429 mold variations, with certain issues addressed such as:

#1. What is the COAL with your specific bullet seated at the lube groove in .357 brass of a given length - probably the trim-to length of 1.280" being the most universal standard?

#2. What guns have you proven that this combination works in?

#3. What guns have you proven that this combination DOESN'T work in?

#4. Relevant peculiarities such as terminal performance on game, accuracy capabilities, bullets tending to pull in light guns etc...

Hopefully, the assembled data would be worthy of a sticky somewhere. Molds being expensive, a cheat sheet helping to determine which will fly for our guns as a .357, and which will be limited to +P Specials would be a great aid.

GP100man
09-03-2012, 07:33 AM
GLL , Thanks for chiming in & I edited my OP to say all are Lymans.

My fist couple of moulds look close to the boolit on the left in the pic ,but this last 1 is more like the middle 1 with a round lube groove.

I know Lyman & Mr. Keith had dis agreements on designing/cutting what he wanted done .

Could the middle booit be closer to what Mr. Keith originally drew up??? & the others are what the "Keith Design" has morphed into to accomidate modern tolerences in firearm manufacturing??

Anyways I know I have no problems filling out the front band on this later mold ,as I do with the molds with the narrower front band !!!

I gotta get this pc where I can post pics mine took a big dump.