PDA

View Full Version : s&w hand ejector

milltownhunter
09-02-2012, 08:10 AM
Could anyone tell me where I can buy a taller front signt for a s&w 32/20 5 '' hand ejector 4th change. The pistol shoots 8'' high at 30 yards with 115gr bullets I'm looking for a thin profile front sight

tek4260
09-02-2012, 09:45 AM
I am not aware of anywhere that sells the sights. The only fix I know of is to replace with a different sight or replace the barrel.

rintinglen
09-02-2012, 01:00 PM
This sounds like a job for a REAL gunsmith. Every old S&W M&P that I have seen has a sight integral with the barrel.
A good welder can build up the top of the existing blade, which can then be carefully filed into shape and cold blued.
Take it to a Gunsmith and bring money.

Char-Gar
09-02-2012, 01:23 PM
That is about the normal point of impact that those old pistols. They were sighted entirely different from later Smith and Wesson sixguns. Try shooting it DA and you will probably have to raise the front sight even more to see it over the hump on the top of the hammer.

This was called the Military and Police model for a reason. It was not designed or sighted for fine field shooting. It was sighted to hit humans at reasonable hangun ranges, under the heat of combat. My suggestion is to learn to live with it or swap it for something you can live with. Don't screw up a find old pistol.

Multigunner
09-02-2012, 01:39 PM
Colt Cap& Ball revolvers originally were normally sighted in at the factory for 125 yards. In those days rapid fire pistol volleys from maximum effective range were the norm for calvary closing with the enemy, after the single shot of the carbine was expended, then it was a matter of cold steel.
John Mosby put an end to that tactic by arming his men with four to eight handguns , most often captured federal Remingtons.
When the federals expended their pistol shots with limited effect and went to the saber Mosby's men simply continued to pour fire into them at close range with plenty of rounds in reserve.

I can't tell you much about the .32-20 Handejector, my Hand ejector is the smaller I frame in .32 Long.
Its possible that your front sight has been filed down for some reason, possibly even damaged when dropped and filed smooth. Holster wear can remove a few thousandths and some who fancied the quick draw filed the front sight if it dragged on their holster.

The .32-20 was considered a long range pistol round, as well as a medium range rifle cartridge, so some peace officers carried these in hopes of out ranging the competition. Some liked the .38-40 for the same reason, a slight edge in effective range over heavier and/or slower bullets.

PS
As for raising the front sight without permanent modification, you might bond a U shaped shim to the blade.

Other than that you can hold with the tip of the blade at the bottom of the rear sight notch.

Char-Gar
09-02-2012, 04:43 PM
The Smith and Wesson M&Ps were sighted for what they called a "center hold". If you put the front sight at the bottom of the target, the bullet would hit the center of the target. That is why they all shoot high.

One way to raise the height of the front sight is to catch in in some smooths jaws in a big vise and give them a good squeeze. This will raise the height of the front sight some.

cuzinbruce
09-02-2012, 05:16 PM
Maybe try a lighter bullet? I use an RCBS 98gr SWC. Maybe increase the velocity too. I have a couple 32/20 S&W's and that doesn't seem to be the case with mine but YMMV. Also note Char-Gar's reply about the center hold. Try it with the top of the front sight just kissing the bottom of the bullseye on a 25yd target.

mainiac
09-02-2012, 08:14 PM
I have an old hand-ejector target model in 38 special. It has adjustable rear sight,and the front blade is a very skinny half moon affair. The front sight on mine,is pinned into the ramp,,a very tiny roll pin is all that holds it.

I swapped my to short front sight,for a penny......the penny is about the same width as the factory original sight.Then i filed the penny down to fit.

Ive since lost the front sight,and would like to know where to find another,without paying an arm and a leg.Some day id like to sell this old revolver,and dont think anybody would care for my gaudy front sight...........

5shotbfr
09-03-2012, 12:29 AM
one way i found to do away with the shooting high is to quit trying to use a fine bead like you are trying to shoot a tiny group .. use a wide open view with the sight picture .. make it a point and shoot affair using the sights as a referance .. it more important to be able to hit what your aiming at .then shooting a tiny group

GLL
09-03-2012, 12:37 AM
I agree with cuzinbruce.
Before making any modifications to a nice old revolver try a bullet in the 100 grain range and play with the load a bit.

Jerry

Char-Gar
09-03-2012, 12:36 PM
one way i found to do away with the shooting high is to quit trying to use a fine bead like you are trying to shoot a tiny group .. use a wide open view with the sight picture .. make it a point and shoot affair using the sights as a referance .. it more important to be able to hit what your aiming at .then shooting a tiny group

That is the best advise so far on this thread. That is how the sights were intended to be used. Just learn a new sight picture and practice until it is drilled in.

Multigunner
09-03-2012, 04:04 PM
The Smith and Wesson M&Ps were sighted for what they called a "center hold". If you put the front sight at the bottom of the target, the bullet would hit the center of the target. That is why they all shoot high.
I think you meant to say "six o'clock hold". This is true for most handguns. At greater range you'd switch to center hold or somewhere in between.

One way to raise the height of the front sight is to catch in in some smooths jaws in a big vise and give them a good squeeze. This will raise the height of the front sight some.

I've heard of this being done. Seems to work for several types of handguns. You won't get much increase in height but with such a short sight radius the small difference in height makes more difference in elevation than with rifle barrels.

Char-Gar
09-03-2012, 05:18 PM
Yes..You are correct.."center hold" is what I intended. My bad!

9.3X62AL
09-03-2012, 05:18 PM
Maybe try a lighter bullet? I use an RCBS 98gr SWC. Maybe increase the velocity too. I have a couple 32/20 S&W's and that doesn't seem to be the case with mine but YMMV. Also note Char-Gar's reply about the center hold. Try it with the top of the front sight just kissing the bottom of the bullseye on a 25yd target.

^^THIS^^

A now-departed Colt Police Positive Special x 4" shot 115-120 grain boolits right to the sights at 25 yards when the boolits were run at 800 FPS. It occurred to me at the time that such was appropriate, since that light little roller had no business running 120 grainers at 950 FPS!

In my 5" M&P 4th Change, 120 grainers at 800 FPS hit about 5" high at 25 yards. Run them at 925-950 FPS, they almost shoot to the sights.......about 1.5"-2.0" high. This load (6.0 grains of SR-4756/120 grain flatnose/WSP) at 50-65 yards when held with sight picture atop the back of a jackrabbit will cause sudden and permanent consternation on the part of the target.

In the Colt Bisley SAA x 4-3/4", 120s at 950 are point-of-aim = point-of-impact at 25 yards.

Loads running 925-950 FPS in 5" wheelgun barrels get about 1275-1300 FPS in a rifle. This is an 1880s-era load intensity that should be safe in most 32-20 revolvers. The Colt PPS and cheaper foreign knock-offs are exceptions to that rule.

jameslovesjammie
09-04-2012, 08:34 PM
Wondersight would give you an adjustable rear sight and still maintain the "vintage" look.

http://www.hollowpointmold.com/wondersight/

milltownhunter
09-05-2012, 07:51 AM
wondersights can you get enough adjustment to get a pistol to shoot 8'' lower? its made in 1915 5''