PDA

View Full Version : Ranch Dog's 411-255-RF in a Blackhawk

Sweetpea
09-02-2012, 05:03 AM
Anybody use this boolit in their blackhawk?

I have been meaning to ask this for some time, and seeing that RD is going to shut down, time is of the essence.

Also, PB or GC? If the GC shoots better, cost is not a great concern... just wondering if i need it.

Thanks in advance!

BCall
09-02-2012, 01:51 PM
I've been shooting it in my Ruger bisley. It has shot as well for me as any other boolit to date, perhaps a bit better. I have to size to .410 to fit in the cylinder. Sizing to .411 will not allow the cartridge to fall freely into the chamber, I have to force it in the last approx 1/16".

My personal choice is to use the gas check version. I bought one of the original group buy plain base molds that RD ran, and it works fine and most likely would be all anyone needs. But the gas check version adds versatility IMO. I think RD will still cut a 3x3 mold where half of the cavities are plain base, giving the best of both worlds.

An extra note, RD cut these to use .416 rifle checks. He has a page on his site about sizing them with these checks. I have found that I can use the thin Lyman type .41 gator checks on my mould. They fit just as well and crimp on well enough without having to size the oversize Hornady check down. I am now lube and sizing them to .410 in a RCBS LAM sizer.