PDA

View Full Version : First range trip with styer

dnepr
09-01-2012, 10:02 PM
Finally got out with my new ( to me) styer m95 , pretty happy with that rifle , I was just getting familiar with the new rifle so no great amounts of load development or cast Boolits yet but I do have a little info to share , I shot 3 loads with the rifle , I didn't measure any groups as I am still a bit unfamiliar with the rifle , but the best accuracy was with my handloads , probably due to being less recoil than factory or milsurp

My handloads consisted of privi 208 gr fmj's in privi brass, 46 gr h4350 with a federal 210 primer, these gave me 1825 fps over the chronograph

Privi factory ammo loaded with the same 208 gr fmj were close in accuracy , a bunch more recoil and 2100 fps over the chronograph

1938 milsurp was definitely less accurate seemed a little sharper on recoil than the privi factory and gave me 2385 fps over the chronograph

The recoil and trigger were what I had expected from the info I had read here but the sights were a pleasant surprise , I found them to be very crisp and easy to see, I also had a friend that wears bifocals shoulder the rifle and check out the sights and he was pleasantly surprised he figures he could actually see these sights well enough to shoot the rifle

I hope the chronograph numbers help some other styer shooters figure out loads for their rifles as published data is a title scarce for this cartridge

Buckshot
09-08-2012, 03:46 AM
.................Years ago I bought my frst M95 Steyr from Century Arms for $39. I had an 01 FFL at the time.

http://www.fototime.com/00C73BAA827D746/standard.jpg

I was calling about something else but the salesman said they had some really nice ones. I figured for $39 why not? So I ordered one of those too. The milsurp ammo in their cardboard boxes on clips was also very cheap. I don't recall exactly but it was like $1.50/box/10. I do remember my first trip to the range with it. The little carbine backed off the bullet smartly. A 200+ grain slug at 2300 fps out of that short barrel is nothing to be trifled with.

...............Buckshot