PDA

View Full Version : Seating Cast Boolits?

jethunter
09-01-2012, 03:23 PM
I made some 9.3 280 gr boolits from the NOE mold and they turned out nice. But when I seat them in 9.3x57 brass the brass cuts a very thin shaving of lead off the bullet. I've bevelled the inside case mouth, but what else can I use to slightly flare the mouth opening just a bit? I'm using Hornady 2-die rifle set so there's no flare die like there is in a straight-walled pistol die set. Is there a simple/inexpensive way to do this?

Carolina Cast Bullets
09-01-2012, 03:30 PM
Lee Universal Case Mouth tool. One size fits all

Jerry
Carolina Cast Bullets

popper
09-01-2012, 03:38 PM
Needle nose pliers, a jacketed bullet and hammer (tap, tap), Lee universal flaring die, several other 'expander/flare' die. Most all the die will require a proper length case for best results. The friction between the brass and lead will scrape some lead into the lube grooves, that you can't see. The NN pliers actually work pretty good, close them and inset into case, rotate with slight pressure.

tomme boy
09-01-2012, 04:28 PM
VLD inside chamfer tool. Or RCBS neck expanders. These work awesome. You can buy the exct size you need for the size of boolit you are using.

NSP64
09-01-2012, 04:35 PM
I have sereral tapered punches that I have accumulated that work for this when needed.
I found most die makers make the dies for people to load bullets.(jacketed thingys)
That means they make the case neck too tight for boolits.
Thats why I prefer Lee sets with the neck sizing die.

Do you have any pistol dies bigger then 9.3mm?
Might be able to use the case flair die from them.

jethunter
09-01-2012, 05:06 PM
Some great ideas here.
Thank you, gentlemen!

runfiverun
09-01-2012, 05:49 PM
try a 357 die set to just bump the case mouth open

smoked turkey
09-01-2012, 07:36 PM
Here's a vote for the Lyman 'M' die. The thing I like about them is they ready the neck to the proper diameter for the cast boolit as well as provide just the right amount of flair for the cast boolit to enter the case mouth and down the neck without shaving on the brass on the way down. Set the bullet seating die to just barely turn in the flair at the end of the boolit seating stroke. The proper amount of neck tension is applied to each and every boolit which enhances accuracy because it provides a more uniform powder burn for each round fired.

RBak
09-01-2012, 08:40 PM
Lyman "M" die is my vote too.
I also think smoked turkey's advise about, "Set the bullet seating die to just barely turn in the flair at the end of the boolit seating stroke" is very important to obtain proper neck tension.

Russ

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-01-2012, 09:35 PM
Lee's universal case mouth flare tool or better yet a Lyman "M"

But in a pinch, if you have a Lee 2 die set of a larger caliber,
I've used the larger caliber Lee FL sizer die for flaring a case mouth.
The newer Lee FL die has what is called an "EZ Expander" on the decap pin,
it works great.
Jon