PDA

View Full Version : Lubesizing can lead to the spending of a small fortune

happy7
09-01-2012, 09:54 AM
When I first started casting, I tumble lubed because I just couldn't justify or afford a lubesizer. The other casting equipment had been expensive enough. Eventually I stepped up to a Lyman 4500 and one sizing die and top punch. Other sizing dies soon followed. Then more sizing dies, and more top punches. Once you have the press, the "need" for dies really can be endless if you shoot many calibers. And for each caliber you "need" the full range of sizes eg .429, 430, 431, 432, etc. for all the various calibers. Then you discover that only certain sizes of dies are standard and you start spending extra money for custom dies.

Then you realize that to use a different lube, it is a real process of boiling out the old machine, or else scraping out the old lube very carefully and then having a few hundred mixed lube bullets untill the old lube is gone. A new machine seems in order. "Needed" really. After all you already have the dies. Then after the new machine arrives you suddenly realize that unless you want to start boiling out dies, you will need a separate set of dies for each type of lube you use. Eventually I had a machine for soft lube, one for hard lube, one for BP lube. And of course dies for each. And of course a stock of lube for each.

Then for 50 caliber, the dies are just so darn hard to remove. It seemed best to just keep a 50 caliber machine.

Then the day came to really take the plunge and step up to a star. It turned out to be true that the star was just so much faster, who wanted to ever use the RCBS/Lymans again. But I couldn't give them up. They have their purpose. There are certain things they do better than the star, such as some gas check bullets, and some pointy nose designs.

Then it turned out that the investment in the star was only the very beginning. Because the need for dies was even greater than for the RCBS machines. And these dies are twice as expensive. Not only did I need a die for every thousanth, but also in each size I also needed a die for one or two grooves (unless I wanted to go picking out lead shot each time) and sometimes three grooves, as well as those unusual bullets with non standard spacing. Sometimes they require their own special die.

Then of course there are the lube heaters, and for the star the air pressure feed.

Now what if I want to change lubes in the star....???? A Magma has joined the stable. Will it ever end? The thing is that if you see a machine or die cheap, you pretty well have to go ahead and get it, because eventually, you will come up with a need for it.

So for the newbies, unless you have thousands to spend, stick with tumble lubing :kidding:

1Shirt
09-01-2012, 10:11 AM
It's an addiction!
1Shirt!:coffeecom

ReloaderFred
09-01-2012, 12:48 PM
Never, ever total up your investment! You just don't do it, period.

The pride is in the possession. I've got 5 Star sizers, one Lyman 450 that I started out with about 1968, one RCBS and two Saeco sizers. They all get used for different things, but the Stars get the most use. Of course there are the heaters and bullet feeders for the Star sizers, too...

It's kind of like the guy who collects stamps as a hobby. He'll never lick one of those rare stamps and stick in on an envelope. He's just proud to own it. The same goes for someone who collects butterflies. He'll never try to revive one of those dead bugs and try to get it to fly again, but he's proud of each and every one of them stuck to his collecting board........

Hope this helps.

Fred

Master Chief
09-01-2012, 04:38 PM
Dang !!!!!

runfiverun
09-01-2012, 06:14 PM
open the brass plug on the side of the star and it will empty the lube from there.
pull the die and add new lube a couple of pumps will purge the old lube.

when doing single lube groove boolits with a double hole set-up you can split the difference on the groove [top and bottom] and fill just the one.
you can quite often do the same but the other way to fill three lube grooves with two holes.

garandsrus
09-01-2012, 08:12 PM
I bought a lathe so i could save money on dies. A couple hundred more dies and i should break even....

canyon-ghost
09-01-2012, 08:35 PM
Nah, it doesn't happen to me! I bought the Lyman 4500, have two of them. I just read what is standard size and oversize die size and buy exactly what I need.

You really have too much more money than restraint.

Good Luck,
Ron

Dan Cash
09-01-2012, 08:36 PM
And I am always buying guns to fit the ammo I got at a great bargain. That is why I pan lube and shoot as cast; the potential for further adiction is recognised and avoided.

ShooterAZ
09-01-2012, 09:02 PM
I thought lube sizing was the cheapest part of this addiction! 429,430,431,432 lube dies is a heck of a lot cheaper than buying four gun safes.

Mal Paso
09-02-2012, 11:18 AM
I thought lube sizing was the cheapest part of this addiction! 429,430,431,432 lube dies is a heck of a lot cheaper than buying four gun safes.

I too was Saved by 44, the One True Caliber.

Loose Morals and Wildcat Calibers will send you straight to Financial Hell. :smile:

Artful
09-02-2012, 04:41 PM
Loose Morals and Wildcat Calibers will send you straight to Financial Hell. :smile:

But good booze will help you find loose morals and make up wildcat calibers! :lol:

http://i.imgur.com/xWGVr.jpg
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQrKufHcl6dEN_DIlGW6WnB4-0IDqIQYKxUYg06tF_6RNx0SFzEzQ&t=1

And having a Lubesizer sure beats pan sizing in my book.

MtGun44
09-03-2012, 10:43 PM
So now you are starting to get a handle on why I have a RCBS LAM, Lyman 450, Lyman 45
and two Stars. ;-)

Bill

Wayne Smith
09-04-2012, 02:23 PM
But good booze will help you find loose morals and make up wildcat calibers! :lol:

http://i.imgur.com/xWGVr.jpg
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQrKufHcl6dEN_DIlGW6WnB4-0IDqIQYKxUYg06tF_6RNx0SFzEzQ&t=1

And having a Lubesizer sure beats pan sizing in my book.

And just how do you load that last one?? I can imagine the chamber, just can't see how you would load it!

As for adding up the investment, the year I lost a son and gained a reloading room LOML pointed out to me that I had spent $2000 in the process that year. Yeah, she keeps track of it all.

Lance Boyle
09-04-2012, 09:24 PM
And just how do you load that last one?? I can imagine the chamber, just can't see how you would load it!

As for adding up the investment, the year I lost a son and gained a reloading room LOML pointed out to me that I had spent $2000 in the process that year. Yeah, she keeps track of it all.

Duh, obviously that's a muzzle loader bullet.[smilie=s:

I once did a rough add up of my reloading equipment. I stopped after $3k and I'm a piker and just getting into cast bullets.

3 single stages, a dillon, 2 MEC shotgun presses, a lee shotgun press, run out gages, calipers, micromter, tubing mic, LAM, lathe trimmers, bench priming units, dillon brass swagers, brushes, extra wrenches and screw drivers, not mention components. I worry about being featured on that hoarding TV show.

largom
09-04-2012, 09:52 PM
Got 2 Lyman 45's, 2 Lyman 450's, 1 Lyman 4500 and 1 RCBS lubamatic. For the non-standard sizers I make my own. I did'nt think I needed all of those sizers but when they show up at an auction cheap, I can't resist. Got the last 45 for $1.00 and the RCBS for $11.00. Now I keep different dies in each one.

Larry

StratsMan
09-04-2012, 10:48 PM

Duh, obviously that's a muzzle loader bullet.[smilie=s:

Nah, that bazooka-lookin' round is a breech loader... It just has a reeeeeeally long recess in the bolt.... :bigsmyl2:

Gliden07
09-04-2012, 10:58 PM
I just started to reload and cast. And I've already started to look for a Lubesizer!! LOL!!

6gun
09-05-2012, 01:31 AM
I've been reloading for a long time but am just getting into casting and I gotta say you're scaring me!!

Naw, just kidding.

I tend to jump in with both feet but I've learned to not look back.

It helps to keep the blinders on the Mrs. too. [smilie=1:

wymanwinn
09-05-2012, 05:44 PM
funny, my wife asked a couple of weeks ago about how much i had invested in "your gun sport".....my response...."when i die, you will be rich"....she wasn't amused....

:groner:

ReloaderFred
09-05-2012, 07:20 PM
wymanwinn,

Do like I did, get your wife involved with SASS. Now she thinks we need two of everything. If I buy a gun, she wants one, etc.

Fred

PS: She took 10th in her class at EOT this year! It was a long ride home for me.......

wymanwinn
09-05-2012, 08:54 PM
wymanwinn,

Do like I did, get your wife involved with SASS. Now she thinks we need two of everything. If I buy a gun, she wants one, etc.

Fred

PS: She took 10th in her class at EOT this year! It was a long ride home for me.......

tried that....no guns, BUT she is a clothes addict.....she has more cowgirl outfits than i can count...LOL

wyman

ReloaderFred
09-05-2012, 11:31 PM
Yep, mine has Wild West Mercantile on speed dial, and I think they recognize her voice when she calls. But at least we do it together, and she never questions a shooting related purchase. It's a win/win for us.

Fred

.22-10-45
09-06-2012, 12:35 AM
[QUOTE=Wayne Smith;1835303]And just how do you load that last one?? I can imagine the chamber, just can't see how you would lol]

You could load it like the Colt Thuer conversions..loading lever it into front of cyl.!