PDA

View Full Version : Ruger MK3?

Sasquatch-1
09-01-2012, 09:01 AM
Does anyone have the MK 3 and what is your opinion of it? Not interested in S&W or HighStandards or anything else. Just curious about the MK3. Thinking of getting one to start teaching the grandkids how to shoot.

Ben
09-01-2012, 09:15 AM
Sasquatch-1

Yes, I own a Mk III Hunter . I love it ! ! Here are photos :

Ben

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=90088

wrench
09-01-2012, 09:41 AM
I've had my MkIII for 3-4 years. It is a little picky, getting some failures to extract, and failures to eject.
Happens with different types of ammo, and different magazines.
Nice and accurate when it does work, though.
I'm planning to rework it with a few Volquartsen parts, but since I have other .22's to shoot, I haven't gotten around to it yet.
Nowadays it mostly sits in the safe.
Most folks like them, though.

Joe504
09-01-2012, 09:54 AM
I have a MK1 bull barrel. It is my go to gun for teaching people how to shoot. My wife has many collage age friends, and over the years we have introduced a few to shooting starting with this gun.

Mine is not a picky eater, shoots very well, and is very comfortable to shoot. The only suggestion I will give is get an extra mag, and a mag loader.

Hammerhead
09-01-2012, 10:19 AM
I bought a Mark III hunter, didn't like it. A lot of sharp edges, rough bore that leaded, poor reliability, poor trigger (yes, those can be fixed). It was really a step down in quality from my Mark II, so I sold it. I'll never buy another Mark III.

69papatango
09-01-2012, 10:34 AM
Yes,

Ruger Mark III Hunter.....and love it. Seems to eat anything I feed it, only thing I regret is letting My Wife shoot it, so i may have to get another one.

Ps. 3 Gophers didn't seem to care for it much :-)

Nocturnal Stumblebutt
09-01-2012, 11:38 AM
I have a stainless MKIII Target and it is pure joy to shoot. It has a nice long sight radius, and the weight of the bull barrel nearly eliminates recoil. I can go a month without shooting it then pick it up and shoot like I practice with it everyday. My only (trivial) complaint is that since it is so easy to shoot and has such little recoil the 10-rd magazines are too easy to empty and a bit of a pain to reload over and over.

Casting Timmy
09-01-2012, 08:42 PM
i have a MKIII hunter and it's a great little shooter, put an aftermarket trigger in it. Had some problems with the front sight at first, but I got that fixed.

Lonegun1894
09-05-2012, 11:16 PM
I have a 5.5" stainless target model mk3, and it is great. The only time I have any FTF/FTEs is when I get lazy and dont clean it, so that is completely my fault. The gun shoots great. Like has been said, very smooth, very accurate, and very reliable. As to the cleanings, mine starts acting up a bit (FTE/FTF) after 600-700rds if I dont clean it before then, but clean it and it goes back to being a great shooter with no issues. Now most of my range sessions dont go that high in the round count so this is very seldom a problem, but more of just something to be aware of.

ebner glocken
09-10-2012, 09:57 PM
My MKIII is the 5.5" ss bull bbl. It's not my favroite .22 pistol but I still like it alot. When it goes to the range with me I generally shoot a box of 325 federal "automatch" through it. Toward the end of the box it starts to have malfunctions. Groups start to open up a tad when I go over 150 rounds without running a boresnake through it a time or two. That itself tells me that the bore isn't as smooth as the other pistols you don't care to hear about. It feeds about any ammo that I've put through it as long as reasonably clean and lubed. Hyper velocity, standard, high velocity....it simply doesn't care. If I was wanting to get a reasonably priced simiauto .22 pistol to teach the kids this would be #1on the list. Very few people will be able to outshoot the ruger as a rule.

My MKIII is totally stock. I refuse to spend another few hundred bucks making a ruger shoot like a 41 smith (many people do). Perhaps I'm wrong but I doubt you could make the ruger shoot with the hammerli xesse or benelli 95s (too poor to consider a pardini).

Ebner

Sasquatch-1
09-11-2012, 07:26 AM
That itself tells me that the bore isn't as smooth as the other pistols you don't care to hear about.
Ebner

It is not that I didn't want to hear about other guns, It is just that I am looking for a reasonably priced .22 to teach my Grandkids how to shoot. If I had not put in that qualifier people would be telling me about everything from $50.00 Saturday night specials to multi thousand dollar competition guns. Thanks for the input. I still have not found anything that I am ready to purchase.

ebner glocken
09-11-2012, 12:43 PM
I've seen this one on sale for as little as $259.

http://www.mcsports.com/outdoors/hunting/handguns/semi-auto/mark-iii-bull-barrel-model-10107-semi-automatic-handgun

Here's another good one.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_145/products_id/16940/Browning+Buck+Mark+MS+Camper+22+AS

I don't know the size and age of the kids but if they have smaller hands these work pretty well.

http://www.mcsports.com/outdoors/hunting/handguns/semi-auto/p22-22lr-semi-automatic-handgun

I personally own the ruger and browning, both are good, both outshoot any average shooter. The ruger is a pain to strip and put together until you figure out "the trick" to reassembly. The browning requires unscrewing the sight plane off to strip thus loosing zero. The P22 I do not own but have seen nothing bad about it, just doesn't fit my hand well.

Ebner

Ebner

Artful
09-13-2012, 02:21 PM
If you want stories about Mk 1 or Mk2 - I'll say excellent guns - have not bought Mk III.

Seems some of the early P22's had issues - hoping the newer models fix the issues.

Sasquatch-1
09-13-2012, 03:31 PM
If you want stories about Mk 1 or Mk2 - I'll say excellent guns - have not bought Mk III.

Seems some of the early P22's had issues - hoping the newer models fix the issues.

I would consider the MK1 or 2 but they are a little hard to find at reasonable prices. I looked at the 22/45 and I beleive it is too heavy and the grip is too large for teaching a child. The Ruger Bearcat would be ideal but I am hoping to find something a little cheaper.

kyle623
09-13-2012, 03:46 PM
the 22/45 sure seems lighter the my all steel MKI target, but it could be me. i know the big trick is the MKIII has a few extra quirks on assembly over the MKI and II. I took me years to find a MKI target, then when i went to pick up mine they had another sitting there. go figure lol
Any ruger would be great for teaching the kids to shoot. It's what i use for my grand kids.

Wayne Smith
09-19-2012, 09:41 AM
Taught my boys to shoot with my Convertible Single Six and will probably continue with that with my grandson when he is old enough. I prefer the slow, deliberate fire of the single action for teaching boys.

Sasquatch-1
09-19-2012, 03:04 PM
Taught my boys to shoot with my Convertible Single Six and will probably continue with that with my grandson when he is old enough. I prefer the slow, deliberate fire of the single action for teaching boys.

I have the single six but felt that the whole thing was a little large for a nine year old. Just bought the MK3 this afternoon. Now all I have to do is go pick up my grandson and get him started.