PDA

View Full Version : Seasoning Cast Iron

dale2242
08-31-2012, 07:17 PM
I picked up a VERY rusty cast iron skillet at a yard sale for $1.
Had a buddy sand blast it down to bare metal.
What is the proper method to season this thing?.....dale

waksupi
08-31-2012, 07:21 PM
Start cooking bacon!

500MAG
08-31-2012, 07:22 PM
I sprayed mine down with PAM wiped it down and put it in the oven at about 400 degrees for about 10 minutes. Worked great.

oneokie
08-31-2012, 07:27 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=119018&highlight=season

Le Loup Solitaire
09-01-2012, 12:41 AM
Any veggie oil or Olive oil, peanut oil, canola oil etc. will work. Wipe the iron with a pad of paper towel that is soaked in it. Turn the piece upside down so that the excess drains and put it in the oven for an hour at 350-400 degrees. Done. You can also season it by repeated cooking with bacon, lard, crisco,,,,just takes longer. LL

gbrown
09-01-2012, 09:41 AM
I would add something about proper maintenance. When you use a properly seasoned cast iron skillet or dutch oven, the food should not stick to it. Hot water and a plastic sink brush will do to clean it. I have seen people use an SOS pad on them, and I can't help but flinch. If food should stick in a rough spot, use the scraper on the plastic brush to remove. Wipe down until you feel that it is clean, heat and (while still hot) spray with oil or wipe with oil dampened paper towel. Wipe any excess oil off. Just like guns, well-oiled, but not dripping. Do this each time you use it, and you will never have problems.

GabbyM
09-01-2012, 10:22 AM
Outdoor grill works nice for baking oil on. Keeps the smoke and mess outside.
Gas grills only need one burner lit, set on low.

shredder
09-01-2012, 10:50 AM
Do not use bacon grease as the salt will iduce rust. Do not use veegatable oil as it will turn gooey and yucky. Warm the pan, dose liberally with LARD and then bake it at 350 for about 20 minutes. Wipe with paper towel.

Gliden07
09-01-2012, 11:01 AM
Lard or Crisco wiped all over it bake in oven 350 20-30min. The more you cook with it the better it will season. When cleaning I use a Plastic Scrubby (Looks like course Steel Wool but made from plastic) kinda warm off the stove (not real hot the cooler water could crack it) run under water as hot as you can stand, wipe it out with the plastic scrub pad, dry it good and then take a little vegatable oil on a cloth and wipe the interior to coat with oil, prevents rust and promotes more seasoning when you use it again!!

Marvin S
09-01-2012, 12:17 PM
Bacon really has so many additives it will want to stick. A well fitting steel spatula is good for scraping the stickies while the pan is still warm. If you blasted it I would sand the inside smooth first. A DA sander works well then do the lard or olive oil. Clean with hot water with what ever scrubber is needed. As long as you dont use soap the oil will remain. Once the iron gets saturated with oil you can use a very small amount of soap from time to time. I use only cast iron every day and this works for me, olive oil is my pick. Warm it up and wipe with oil after you clean it as was suggested, the spray olive oil is very easy. It does take some time and practice to use cast oil correctly and is not an instant satisfaction thing.

mrb7
09-01-2012, 12:26 PM
Crisco? Come on! Lard is the ticket.

It isn't like it will "contaminate" the rest of the food you cook in it for the remainder of your life if you have some objection to it at a gut level, and it's what Grandma used. Trust me on that.

Besides lard has zero hydrogenated fats. And if you don't want to use the rest of the lard to cook with use it in a mix to seal up your six shooter chambers in cold weather. (it's kinda messy in summer)

Olive oil also has no hydrogenated fats, but I like lard better for metal seasoning.

pmeisel
09-02-2012, 08:46 AM
Hydrogenated Fats? Wasn't he a pool shark?

shredder
09-02-2012, 09:39 AM
Hydrogenated Fats? Wasn't he a pool shark?

BWA HA HA HA HA HA ! Thanks for that!:lol:

Hardcast416taylor
09-02-2012, 10:51 AM
I watched a program about how they make cast iron cookware. They reccomend wiping the entire pan down with cooking oil and heating up to 400 in an oven for 30 min. Wipe it out with a soft dry cloth and use it. It will get better with use.Robert

Moonie
09-04-2012, 12:35 PM
http://www.lodgemfg.com/use-care-seasoned-cast-iron.asp#3

This is how I season all of my cast iron.

selmerfan
09-07-2012, 11:05 PM
I've tried just about every oil/fat out there for seasoning cast iron. Without question, hands down winner for a great non-stick seasoning that holds up pretty much forever is.......flax seed oil! Seasons to a lacquer-like smooth finish, tougher than nails. Just make sure you do it on a day you can have the windows open, or do it outside. It stinks - bad!

jumbeaux
09-09-2012, 04:36 PM
Deep fry fish in it several times.....I use peanut oil.....or rub inside/outside with cooking oil and place on a pan then let it cook in 400* oven.....repeat several times and don't use soap or scouring pads. Lightly oil after each cleaning.....nothing better than cornbread cooked in cast iron...

rick

Vaquero Teddy
09-09-2012, 08:20 PM
Jumbeaux:
I was doing just fine until you used the words "cornbread" and "cast iron" together. Now I'll be cleaning up drools on my keyboard for an hour. Lord, I can still remember the crunch you get with cornbread cooked in iron.

(Hope this works. I signed up about a week ago, and this is my first attempt at posting anything .)

TED

bubba.50
09-09-2012, 08:47 PM
give it a good coat of lard then bake a big pan of cornbread. sort of a two birds with one stone sort of thing. and keeps it from smokin' up yer kitchen.

jumbeaux
09-09-2012, 09:19 PM
Ted I'll be thinking about you when I slice the hot cornbread tomorrow night for supper.......great to have you aboard the forum.....

rick

joec
09-09-2012, 11:14 PM
Crisco? Come on! Lard is the ticket.

It isn't like it will "contaminate" the rest of the food you cook in it for the remainder of your life if you have some objection to it at a gut level, and it's what Grandma used. Trust me on that.

Besides lard has zero hydrogenated fats. And if you don't want to use the rest of the lard to cook with use it in a mix to seal up your six shooter chambers in cold weather. (it's kinda messy in summer)

Olive oil also has no hydrogenated fats, but I like lard better for metal seasoning.

Man am I with you on this, cooking bacon is nothing more that a very expensive lard. Now once you do the inside and out if needed just let it air cool. After cooking with it, while still hot, don't wash it with soap at all just rinse it and use a brush to wipe it out followed by a towel (paper is fine). Detergents, Brillo pads etc will require re-seasoning in most cases if you do it. Like a carbon steel WOK no need to wash with more than water and wipe out. Also never ever put it in a dish washer. Keep in mind a well seasoned cast iron pan is still the best non stick there is and always has been. Just avoid high acid foods in it as that can pit them over time. Tomatoes are a high acid for those that don't cook at all.

Whiterabbit
09-09-2012, 11:24 PM
I only use ghee for my cast iron after using all the soilable fats I have easy access to.

It would all leave gum on my pans. Not Ghee. Perfect every time. foolproof for the fool. (me.)