PDA

View Full Version : Bonanza / Forster 68 press help

n10sivern
08-31-2012, 01:44 PM
I recently acquired an old Bonaza Forster Model 68 reloading press in incomplete form. I have just the press itself and would like to obtain the priming parts for the press. If anybody has any information where I can get the parts please let me know. I've already called Forster and they have nothing.

Kraschenbirn
08-31-2012, 10:27 PM
Hate to be the bearer of sad tidings but parts for those old '68s' are virtually non-existant. I've got a very nice one...with a chip broken out of the ram's shellholder slot...that's been sitting under my workbench for the last four years. I've not only posted online queries (on several forums/boards) looking to buy the needed part or even a complete a broken/rusted press but also stopped by Forster's plant when I was passing through the area...no luck, either way.

Actually, my advice would be to forget the Bonanza primer posts and get yourself a Lee Autoprime - the old round version, if you can find one. That Bonanza 68 was my 'go-to' single-stage for over thirty years but their priming set-up was a PITA to use...primer posts didn't work with all shellholders and it took six steps to prime a single case.

Bill

n10sivern
09-01-2012, 12:23 AM
That figures. I'm probably gonna just purchase a Forster primer system. Right now I am into Forster red. I picked up the Model 68 for no reason other than to just get it. I don't see them often and figured it'd be cool to have. Currently its mounted next to my Co-Ax's with a decapping die punching out crimp primed brass. It fits in well with my 2 Co-Ax's, Forster original and classic trimmers, and Forster powder scale. Hey, you can never go wrong with an heavy duty O-frame for back-up. I need to figure out a good way to make a spent primer tray for it. It didn't come with one. Any ideas?

propwashp47
08-08-2014, 02:13 PM
I came with a little red triangle shallow tray you can bend one out of a can. I started reloading on one40 years ago and want to find on badly. if any one wants to sell one let me know.

Pressman
08-09-2014, 04:08 PM
See the attached PDF file for the Bonanza catalog page showing the 68 press. Unfortunately it does not show the primer parts clearly and they are missing from my press.
The cross pin is easy to make but what the punch looks like is hard to see.

Sorry, I do not have the instruction sheet.

Ken

propwashp47
08-15-2015, 05:42 PM
any one have one for sale? I am still looking

propwashp47
12-27-2015, 02:44 PM
I got mine - the primer parts called the guy back and he looked in his parts box and found every thing but the spent primmer tray ,but I still had my old one. now good to go