PDA

View Full Version : 20ga sabot slug casting

Adam10mm
08-31-2012, 11:52 AM
I've had a Lyman 20ga sabot slug mould here a couple years and never cast with it. I've got a few hundred pounds of foundry 92/6/2 alloy I'll be using. I'd like to cast some and develop a slug load (I've got the Lyman #5).

Is casting slugs much different than boolits? Anything I need to know about it that I don't already know from casting boolits?

SuperBlazingSabots
08-31-2012, 07:06 PM
Hello FreakShow, how do you find someone so nice who gives you a couple of hundred lbs of lead, you must be very special!
I tried getting some lead from a tire store and the manager said its controlled substance, can't give you any, go figure it out how lucky you are, I think its party time!
Go ahead fire your lead melting pot and order some Fed.20S-1 wads,
Your Lyman vol.5 should have all the loads you need!
Now what's not in your book is you need to order some .125-28 gauge nitro cards from Circle Fly to put them under your slug, in wad to give your slug a firm base!
Fold crimp your hulls for better combustion!
Feel free to ask any questions that you may have, its time for the party now!
Ajay
BlazingSabots@Gmail.com
Blazing Sabots, LLC
www.BlazingSabots.com
www.PreciousVideoMemories.com

cdet69
09-01-2012, 09:03 AM
Where do you get the nitro wads from.

SuperBlazingSabots
09-01-2012, 09:47 AM
Good morning Cdet, Circle Fly, tel. #717-862-3600 for all sizes of wads.
Ajay
BlazingSabots@Gmail.com
Blazing Sabots, LLC
www.BlazingSabots.com

cdet69
09-01-2012, 01:37 PM
Thanks. Will the BPI over powder wad work also? I just bought the Lyman 20 guage mold and I am trying to get up and runnning. Thanks again.

SuperBlazingSabots
09-01-2012, 03:14 PM
Hello Cdet, the Lyman mold comes with slug loading data, just follow it with the exception of adding a .125-28 ga. nitro card below the slug, if the wad petals are long enough to accommodate it, if not skip it!
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee75/Dantebeowulf/Lyman-Commodorecopy.jpg
If you look at the 5th slug in wad from left, it should not stick out with a nitro card below, if it looks like the 4th slug from left then go ahead and use the nitro card!

Lets say the load calls for 2 3/4 inch hull and your set up is only capable of 3 inch at the present time then you can add a 20 ga Obturator OP plastic wad or better yet use PT20GS OP wad as they are thinner and top it over with .125-20 ga nitro card!

I personally do not have the Lyman mold as I just got into 20 gauge at the end of june.
If you could send me a few to check for size, fit etc I'll gladly pay for shipping!
I'm in New Jersey

Ajay
BlazingSabots@Gmail.com
Blazing Sabots, LLC
www.BlazingSabots.com

cdet69
09-01-2012, 03:25 PM
Will be casting some this weekend. let you know when they are ready to go out.

SuperBlazingSabots
09-01-2012, 07:10 PM
Hello Cdet, you do not have to cast extra slugs for me, if you could put the slug in different wads like this:
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee75/Dantebeowulf/Lyman525inwads.jpg
it would help us all see the fit etc. If you look carefully then you will see a .125 nitro card below the slug in wad!
Thank you.
Ajay
BlazingSabots@Gmail.com
Blazing Sabots, LLC
www.BlazingSabots.com

cdet69
09-02-2012, 06:39 PM
Here are the pictures of the slug. No room for a nitro card though.

Blammer
09-03-2012, 09:59 PM
I've had a Lyman 20ga sabot slug mould here a couple years and never cast with it. I've got a few hundred pounds of foundry 92/6/2 alloy I'll be using. I'd like to cast some and develop a slug load (I've got the Lyman #5).

Is casting slugs much different than boolits? Anything I need to know about it that I don't already know from casting boolits?

nope, nothing different other than you may want to run the mould HOT to prevent wrinkles.

Adam10mm
09-04-2012, 10:06 AM
nope, nothing different other than you may want to run the mould HOT to prevent wrinkles.
Thanks! This will also be my first casting session with a HP type plug for for the rear of the slug. I've never use a mould with the pin before, so it will be a learning experience for sure.

turmech
09-04-2012, 10:47 AM
Can't say about the lyman as I only have the Lee. I do have to smoke the base plug on the lee to get them to fall free. This is the only mold I have had to smoke so far. I have to re do it every 20 to 30 slugs.

35remington
09-05-2012, 09:58 PM
turmech, if the mould is started hot and kept that way no drop out or soot is needed on the base plug.

Hold the mould in molten metal for at least a count of sixty or better yet seventy then cast quickly thereafter. Started hot and maintained hot the slugs drop off the base pin with only a couple of taps. I've been doing it this way a long time.

ovendoctor
09-06-2012, 06:55 PM
Thanks! This will also be my first casting session with a HP type plug for for the rear of the slug. I've never use a mould with the pin before, so it will be a learning experience for sure.

if ya need any help stop by

I am usually around the house

there's a few tricks to learn with the sabot ed slug mold

Doc.

Adam10mm
09-07-2012, 12:18 AM
I thought you had cast slugs before. I'll take you up on that offer some day soon. It's a virgin mould only out of the orange box to look at it and that's it. I need to grab a set of handles for it.

Pay day is today, so I'm putting an order in for some wads and #209 primers. If you need some primers, let me know and I can add them to my order to save you some money.

ovendoctor
09-07-2012, 07:59 AM
ya ill have to show ya '' the containment room'' for casting :lol:

had some interesting times pouring the hot stuff

Doc.

good for now on primers