PDA

View Full Version : Mec Sizemaster Zombie Edition

300winmag
08-30-2012, 11:46 PM
The green is not so bad!!!!! But zombies:confused: AH!!!!!

longbow
08-31-2012, 01:49 AM
I am sure that one will work just fine but in all honesty I like my red one better!

Are they all green now?

Longbow

cheese1566
08-31-2012, 09:19 AM
I'll be happy when the "Zombies" fad moves on.
I couldn't beleive Hornady went with a poor marketing move for ammunition. Thats all the anti's need when some nut goes crazy and does a mass shooting using "Zombie" stuff, then says he was "crazy" and thought the world was being taken over by Zombies and the walking dead.

Whatever happened to Werewolves and silver bullets?

atr
08-31-2012, 09:25 AM
+1 for cheese1566

dragonrider
08-31-2012, 10:38 AM
Agree with cheese, this zombie garbage is ridiculous.

429421Cowboy
08-31-2012, 11:36 AM
I agree, the zombie thing should just run it's course and be allowed to quietly die... Of course it doesn't hurt the quality of an MEC reload, and i always have liked that green color!

Roundnoser
08-31-2012, 12:33 PM
The Zombie craze is Ok for those of us who shoot. We get it. But, the general public doesn't, and as Cheese mentioned, it detracts from the public perception of what responsible gun ownership is. -- Perhaps Hornady should have called its ammo something else.

Ickisrulz
08-31-2012, 02:38 PM
I just don't see why some people have issues with Hornady's or anyone else's zombie campaigns.

For one, some people have fun with it. Hornady even has/had a zombie three gun match. Secondly, some new shooters might be introduced to the sport. Three, I'm sure this has generated lots of money for Hornady.

Dressing up like a cowboy for a cowboy match makes about as much sense to me as shooting at zombie targets. But, to each his own.

Who cares what the antis think? There will never be enough restrictions for these people so why try to be accommodating? I would image they'd be more ticked off over, say, the American Rifleman's recent discussion of man-stopping handgun loads than people shooting fake zombies with zombie-certified ammo.

BTW even if the zombie craze dies off this year, there's a major film adaptation of World War Z coming out in 2013...so it will come back.

UNIQUEDOT
08-31-2012, 03:21 PM
Dressing up like a cowboy for a cowboy match makes about as much sense to me as shooting at zombie targets. But, to each his own.

I've no idea what this means since "cowboys" were and still are a reality. There are still plenty of folks around that dress as such everyday and wear their single actions on the ranch whilst their 44-40's ride in their saddle scabbard. You can go to the ends of the earth and i doubt you'll find monsters digging themselves out of graves to feast on your flesh.

PS Paul
08-31-2012, 03:55 PM
Look, as ridiculous and just plain silly as the Zombie craze is, I've found the graphics and just the notion of products "to prepare for the apocalypse" has added an element of "fun" that sometimes is missed in our sport with all the other "grim" and "stoic" products for shooters. I am in the firearms and sporting goods business, and customers often just get a good laugh when they see some of the marketing tools used to promote these items. Sometimes a much-needed laugh..... The good Lord knows there is a lot to be unhappy about right now in our blessed Country, so this allows some of those in our shooting community some levity in an otherwise disheartening time in history.

Trying to "appease, placate or capitulate" to those who do not want the populace to own guns is a losing battle because most of those types are brainwashed and NO amount of reasoning will EVER change their perception about shooters and gun ownership in general. They make decisions based on the input and "feelings" of others and logic, facts, reason or TRUTH will NEVER sway them. They already think shooters are truly deserving of contempt, so trying to make marketing decisions to "please" them is a waste of resources.....

So my feelings are it is a harmless way to enjoy some fun and maybe, just maybe it would appeal to someone who might not otherwise get to enjoy our sport as much as they could if it were not for the element of "fun" associated with the "zombie marketing strategy".

I bought a zombie ammo can and I show it to my ten-year old boy who gets a ton of laughs over the whole zombie craze. Where's the harm in that??

UNIQUEDOT
08-31-2012, 04:28 PM
just maybe it would appeal to someone who might not otherwise get to enjoy our sport as much as they could if it were not for the element of "fun" associated with the "zombie marketing strategy".

Well, i did hear a couple of younger guys at the range mumbling something about "this is my favorite zombie gun on that video game" once and my initial thoughts were too many idiots coming to the range these days. I guess i was just looking at it all wrong since those stupid video games are probably responsible for getting more of the younger guys and gals into the shooting sports.

PS Paul
08-31-2012, 08:00 PM
I suppose it is a little like Bayliner boats in the marine trades. There are many boat owners who malign, denegrate and condemn boaters who own and use inexpensive Bayliner boats. I have always maintained there would be FAR fewer people who get to enjoy boating if it were not for Baylinher boats. My hope is our shooting sports can and will be passed on to the younger generation(s), and if it takes clever marketing ploys like the zombie craze to help, then I MUST see the positive side to it.

Despite all the horrible things going on in our Country and in the world, I have to maintain hope for the future and for my children, and truly this is just one minor thing that might simply push one or two youngsters (or oldsters) over the edge and enjoy what it is that we love so much about the shooting sports......

Ickisrulz
08-31-2012, 10:06 PM
I've no idea what this means since "cowboys" were and still are a reality. There are still plenty of folks around that dress as such everyday and wear their single actions on the ranch whilst their 44-40's ride in their saddle scabbard. You can go to the ends of the earth and i doubt you'll find monsters digging themselves out of graves to feast on your flesh.

For many...it's make-believe. That's my point. There are people who are not cowboys who dress up as cowboys.

LUCKYDAWG13
08-31-2012, 10:19 PM
Well, i did hear a couple of younger guys at the range mumbling something about "this is my favorite zombie gun on that video game" once and my initial thoughts were too many idiots coming to the range these days. I guess i was just looking at it all wrong since those stupid video games are probably responsible for getting more of the younger guys and gals into the shooting sports.

my son is 13 years old he likes all the ZOMBIE targets and such.
if that tricked out 10/22 helps him shoot more i'm o'k with it
it has to be fun for kids and he does know its not a toy

PS Paul
08-31-2012, 11:24 PM
Luckydawg, I just now noticed your phrase at the bottom of your post "kids that hunt and fish don't mug old ladies". I am going to print that and post it in the Gun Dept. in my sporting goods store. Priceless AND accurate!!

LUCKYDAWG13
09-01-2012, 08:08 AM
cool:guntootsmiley::

KYCaster
09-01-2012, 12:00 PM
Shooters aren't the only group obsessed with zombies. Just Google zombie games, zombie t shirts or zombie party supplies to get some idea of how wide spread the craze is.

I also think it's silly, but I can't fault Hornady (or anybody else) for taking advantage of it.

Jerry

DonMountain
09-01-2012, 04:04 PM
What about us older folks that just love to watch Zombie movies? Its just another way we can get to see guns in action. And they were fun to watch even back in the 70's when they started making Zombie movies. My elderly wife got us two of them to watch from Netflix last month. And we had a blast! :drinks::Fire::mrgreen::popcorn::veryconfu

Kevin Rohrer
09-01-2012, 05:12 PM
Personally, I prefer to keep Zombies out of shotgun range. It makes shooting them more of a challenge. And I need more "range time" w/ my M1 and M1a.

But that green color certainly brightens-up a reloading bench!

:Fire:[smilie=w:[smilie=w:[smilie=w:[smilie=w:[smilie=w:

UNIQUEDOT
09-01-2012, 08:30 PM
What about us older folks that just love to watch Zombie movies? Its just another way we can get to see guns in action. And they were fun to watch even back in the 70's when they started making Zombie movies. My elderly wife got us two of them to watch from Netflix last month. And we had a blast! :drinks::Fire::mrgreen::popcorn::veryconfu

Just last week i watched a couple from my dvd collection. The last man on earth (1963) and Night of the living dead (1968) i have a fairly large collection of horror movies from the 50's (actually have silent ones from the 20's as well) to date and do enjoy watching them from time to time, but when it comes to firearms i just cant figure out what happened to genuine interest.

canyon-ghost
09-01-2012, 08:38 PM
I'll be happy when the "Zombies" fad moves on.

Me too.

Whatever happened to Werewolves and silver bullets?

I still howl sometimes, growl more often. Still pour my silver boolits (well, lead anyway).

geargnasher
09-02-2012, 04:15 AM
What a bunch of buzzkills on this thread. I like the green press, I like a capitalist economy, I like the marketing whizz at Hornady that saw an opportunity and jumped on it despite what the corporate chickenspit lawyers probably had to say, and I hope they make a huge PILE of money on it for a long time to come.

Anybody supporting shooting sports and getting interest from younger shooters (read: voters) and more consumer money pumped into the nation's gun-related economy is A-OK in my book. Money coming into Hornady translates to more 2A support, both financially and media-wise. Plus, people have to have the latest Tacticool pistols, carbines, and shotguns (and related accessories including clothing, range bags, etc.) to go along with the Zombie ammo. Even MORE money injected into the right places.

I don't care if you think the Zombie thing is stupid, ridiculous, or whatever, you can't deny that it's GOOD FOR ALL OF US who want to keep our guns. As for hordes of inexperienced and potentially unsafe new shooters brought to the range strictly by the Zombie craze, I think that's exaggerated. Such types will always exist regardless of the color of their ammo boxes. Take a little responsibility in helping them become safer shooters when you get the chance, rather than writing them off as hopeless just because you're a sourpuss and hate lime green.

The Cowboy Action analogy is spot-on. I've been to quite a few SASS matches, and I'll be damned if I saw a single, REAL cowboy amongst them. Not to say they don't exist within the sport, but around here, in the heart of cowboy country, the real thing will be seen at play at the Rodeo. City slickers don their western duds with their frontier doves on their arms all dolled up in their whalebone-hoop dresses and petticoats and "play" gunslinger, judge, outlaw, ranger, saloonkeeper, or whatever for a day or two a month and have a great, safe time. They shoot ammo that comes in antique-looking boxes made by Black Hills or others, they shoot only period-correct guns in plausible calibers, and compete in frontier sets from over 100 years ago in scenarios from that era. Not too different from Zombie Apocalypse shooters if you ask me.

I could construct a similar analogy with the SWAT wannabe three-gun guys.

Have a little tolerance, we're all on the same team here.

Rant off.

Gear

UNIQUEDOT
09-02-2012, 03:48 PM
I don't care if you think the Zombie thing is stupid, ridiculous

This is what i think...yes i know you dont care.

The Cowboy Action analogy is spot-on. I've been to quite a few SASS matches, and I'll be damned if I saw a single, REAL cowboy amongst them.

It isn't spot on because it's viewed as reenactment shooting. How does make believe childish fantasy shooting make as much sense as reenacting?

Ickisrulz
09-02-2012, 04:05 PM

It isn't spot on because it's viewed as reenactment shooting. How does make believe childish fantasy shooting make as much sense as reenacting?

Viewed by some as reenactment, by others as make believe. To each his own though. The more people shooting (safely) the better it is for everyone.

DonMountain
09-02-2012, 04:37 PM
I used to hunt deer quite unsuccesfully with modern, high pressure jacketed bullet loads in a 243 rifle, and couldn't kill any Zombies with it either. So, taking information on whats best for killing Zombies I switched to a 45-70 520 grain cast lead boolit and have been completely successful in killing deer for years now. :lovebooli

PS Paul
09-02-2012, 04:53 PM
Geargnasher, I'm speechless.... Your post above states the very best reasons to support shooting-related marketing and business, zombies or not: the FUtURE of our beloved shooting and firearms ownership freedoms.

Thanks!

Paul

9-toes
09-02-2012, 04:56 PM
What a bunch of buzzkills on this thread. I like the green press, I like a capitalist economy, I like the marketing whizz at Hornady that saw an opportunity and jumped on it despite what the corporate chickenspit lawyers probably had to say, and I hope they make a huge PILE of money on it for a long time to come.

Gear

+1 - besides, I always thought it would be nice to see how quickly anti-gun liberals would suddenly become pro in such a situation. Something tells me California and DC wouldn't fair too well.

Firebricker
09-02-2012, 05:43 PM
I think the one zombie movie was pretty good but but it's FICTION now on the other hand I saw a few minutes of a M-tv show my nephew was watching and the zombies are definitely more like "real life" LOL FB

UNIQUEDOT
09-02-2012, 08:31 PM
Viewed by some as reenactment, by others as make believe. To each his own though. The more people shooting (safely) the better it is for everyone.

Does not matter either way because they exist and zombies do not so the point is still moot.

Ickisrulz
09-02-2012, 09:34 PM
Does not matter either way because they exist and zombies do not so the point is still moot.

That right there reminds me of my 7 year-old and 5 year-old arguing about whose imagination is more valid. Is the family car a fire truck or a space ship?

John 242
09-02-2012, 10:37 PM

Reenacting what?
Cowboy action shooting has more in common with a movie set than the real old west.

I don't understand defending cowboy action shooters while throwing rocks at the zombie/tactical crowd.

I think the zombie stuff is stupid, too. Yet, my kids and wife think the zombie targets are 'neat'. If they enjoy shooting zombie targets, with zombie ammo, out of a zombie gun... so what.
My uncle is big into cowboy action shooting and BPCR. He travels around the south-west and does the End of Trail every year. He's no cowboy, but he has fun doing it. More power to him. Me, I'm not into either and from my point of view it's a little silly, but I've never tried it. Regardless, he's enjoying his retirement and he earned his right to do so.

John 242
09-02-2012, 10:58 PM
That right there reminds me of my 7 year-old and 5 year-old arguing about whose imagination is more valid. Is the family car a fire truck or a space ship?

If it's a station wagon, Suburban, or midsize SUV then it's definitely a space ship. Only pickups can be fire trucks. All others, especially the little economy cars don't qualify to be either a spaceship or fire truck. More of an escape pod...

PS to add...
http://www.mecreloaders.com/ProductLine/SizeMasterZombie.asp

I like the green color. I wouldn't pay extra for it, but think it's good looking.
No accounting for taste, eh?

UNIQUEDOT
09-03-2012, 06:32 PM

Well i was going to ask how pointing out a fact would remind you of an imaginative argument between children, but then i realize in order for you to have children that young you yourself would have to be fairly young and it is the younger folks who try to justify this silly zombie craze.

Ickisrulz
09-04-2012, 09:04 AM
Well i was going to ask how pointing out a fact would remind you of an imaginative argument between children, but then i realize in order for you to have children that young you yourself would have to be fairly young and it is the younger folks who try to justify this silly zombie craze.

I'm probably older than you would guess (closer to 50 than 40). But, letting people have fun as long as they aren't hurting anyone is a good trait regardless of age.

Thinking about this a little, it occurs to me that pointing out someone's youth or claiming you are correct because of your age, years of experience or rank/position have always been very weak arguments. A matter is either right or wrong (or neither) and has noting to do with the attributes of either side.

Just so you know, I don't shoot zombie targets or have zombie related shooting gear. I just allow people to explore what they want if they aren't hurting anyone.

dragonrider
09-04-2012, 04:56 PM
"What a bunch of buzzkills on this thread. I like the green press, I like a capitalist economy"

I don't have a problem with the color, in fact I would like to see a lot more color on my bench, all I have at the moment is red and blue. Rather dull. I think there should be more of the "electric" colors, perhaps much like the metallic sparkly colors that have been used on automobiles in years past. I once painted one of my motorcyles something called "plum crazy", IIRC it was a jeep color. If all of the manufactures offered presses and such in optional colors I can see a gain for the makers. I just don't see the need for the zombie connection.

UNIQUEDOT
09-06-2012, 03:15 PM
I just allow people to explore what they want if they aren't hurting anyone.

I suppose so, but i really just don't get it. I have a 17 y/o boy and i was in his room when he was playing one of those online (zombie) video games and there could be heard grown men playing the silly game. I asked my boy if those voices indeed were older men and he told me that one of the gentleman was in his sixties while others ranged from their 30's through 50's. When i told him how silly it was he responded "it's just a game, it isn't hurting anyone by playing it" and my response was that it sure wasn't helping anyone either and that i would think adults would find something more productive to do with their time.

He added that it was no different to him than me reading and posting in these online forums, but of course i see it differently. I am sure to remind him of 1'st Corinthians 13:11 "When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things."

I suppose if the silly zombie ammo, knives, reloading tools etc. help the industry without appealing to quacks then so be it, but it sure would be nice if a genuine interest in something requiring labor such as hunting still had the same appeal to younger folks as it used to.

ArrowJ
09-06-2012, 04:05 PM
I enjoyed shooting long before the "craze". I also enjoy zombie movies, television shows, targets, ammo, et al. Good fun. Check out the foreign zombie movie Dead Snow...zombie Nazis. The b movie Abraham Lincoln verses Zombies is fun, not to be confused with the slightly less b movie Abraham Lincoln verses Vampires.

Cowboy T
09-06-2012, 04:25 PM
Oh, come on, folks--have a sense of humour with the whole "Zombie-pocalypse" thing. I think people are jumping on the bandwagon even more now that Hornady has been so successful with the Zombie-Max line of ammo.

BTW, their "Z-Max" bullets are just as good as their V-Max's, and for $20 less per 500. So, YEAH, I like 'em! If it lowers varmint bullet prices, then let 'em market till the Zombies do actually come! :-)

Ickisrulz
09-06-2012, 04:41 PM
I suppose so, but i really just don't get it. I have a 17 y/o boy and i was in his room when he was playing one of those online (zombie) video games and there could be heard grown men playing the silly game. I asked my boy if those voices indeed were older men and he told me that one of the gentleman was in his sixties while others ranged from their 30's through 50's. When i told him how silly it was he responded "it's just a game, it isn't hurting anyone by playing it" and my response was that it sure wasn't helping anyone either and that i would think adults would find something more productive to do with their time.

These same ideas might be applied to watching sporting events or lots of other pastimes.

Bill*
09-06-2012, 04:50 PM
Wait....I see a whole new marketing possibility here....Are ya ready??

ZOMBIE VARMINTS

geargnasher
09-06-2012, 04:51 PM

He added that it was no different to him than me reading and posting in these online forums, but of course i see it differently. I am sure to remind him of 1'st Corinthians 13:11 "When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things."

I suppose if the silly zombie ammo, knives, reloading tools etc. help the industry without appealing to quacks then so be it, but it sure would be nice if a genuine interest in something requiring labor such as hunting still had the same appeal to younger folks as it used to.

Good grief, man, learn a little respect and acceptance. If you want go quoting the scriptures to justify your intolerance and self-righteousness, that's fine with me (and pointless), but someday Paul might take offense to your context. His message in First Corinthians 13 was one of the value of love. Go hug your kid, pad him on the back for not mugging old ladies, and tell him you love him instead of criticizing him for a difference of hobby preference. He'll be a man soon enough if you let him. Save the scriptures for Sunday. And spend some more time reading MML&J.

Gear

ArrowJ
09-06-2012, 05:18 PM
Save the scriptures for Sunday.

I understand where you are coming from (both of you), but this is just bad advice for anyone that is a follower of Christ.

We now return you to the regularly scheduled zombie thread...

Roundnoser
09-07-2012, 02:25 PM
Appearently, even the politicians are using the "zombie" thing to get citizens prepared in case of an emergency!

http://news.yahoo.com/seriously-government-warns-citizens-zombie-apocalypse-urge-better-230018621.html

UNIQUEDOT
09-07-2012, 03:09 PM
Appearently, even the politicians are using the "zombie" thing to get citizens prepared in case of an emergency!

I thought you were joking, but i followed the link and sure enough you were serious. Americans have either gone or are on their way to becoming totally insane! i guess i should have realized this when they stuck Barry in the white house.

0verkill
09-07-2012, 03:36 PM
I love the whole idea of zombie preparedness idea. I just still can't figure out the whole day-glo green thing.
What's that, no .410? That's the 2nd best anti-zombie shotgun chambering.

Gliden07
09-07-2012, 08:31 PM

Yes the Video games do bring some younger shooters into the sport. Problem is when some "NUT" goes off and kills a bunch of people the Anti's blame the video games too!! Less face it anything we do as shooters thats good is always overshadowed by sensationalistic News Programs. You never hear about a Sportsmen Club that donated X amount of dollers to the Boy Scouts, or a fund raiser held for a local Softball team. Those stories arn't News worthy!! But give me a disturbed anti social kid that plays video games 15 hours a day goes to a mall and shoots 10 people WOOOOHA STOP THE PRESS's rewrite the 11 oclock news, and talk to the niebhors!!

Sorry for the rant!!

Roundnoser
09-08-2012, 12:13 PM
Yes the Video games do bring some younger shooters into the sport. Problem is when some "NUT" goes off and kills a bunch of people the Anti's blame the video games too!! Less face it anything we do as shooters thats good is always overshadowed by sensationalistic News Programs. You never hear about a Sportsmen Club that donated X amount of dollers to the Boy Scouts, or a fund raiser held for a local Softball team. Those stories arn't News worthy!! But give me a disturbed anti social kid that plays video games 15 hours a day goes to a mall and shoots 10 people WOOOOHA STOP THE PRESS's rewrite the 11 oclock news, and talk to the niebhors!!

Sorry for the rant!!

Isn't there a saying in the news business: If it bleeds, it leads?