PDA

View Full Version : lee 300 aac blkout boolit mold in the 7.62x39?

leadloader
08-30-2012, 05:33 PM
hi im not sure if this subject has been thrown around once allready but i was looking for a cheap way to load subsonic ammo for my 7.62x39 ar 15 i ran across a mold for the 300 blackout only thing is its a .309 mold and not atleast a 311 like i need for a proper bore fit (my bore .310) most of my lee molds drop heavier and bigger than advertised but they are also lube groove boolits and not tumble lube my qeustion is how well do you think these would work at sub sonic velocitys would the leading be as much as a issue? im assumeing these can be fired unchecked since its a boat tail design and low speed ..any help and powder suggestions would b great thanks guys and shoot safe

Bullet Caster
08-30-2012, 07:26 PM
Personally I use IMR 4895 and fill up the case. Sure it's a slow burning powder. I would think that 4895 would not be subsonic though. Might try just a half case full and see what velocity you get with a reduced amount. You need a .311 mould for proper boolit fit to bore. I've got some 155 grain boolits I cast for my AK and I did not have a .311 sizer at the time and loaded up 8 rounds as a test--they were sized at .309 and will probably lead the bore.

I haven't gotten around to shooting these undersized boolits in my AK as of yet but will give them a try as soon as I can get some range time. Since making up these 8 rounds I've procured a .311 sizer and will get some sized and gas checked as soon as next month rolls around. Hope to get some .30 gas checks by then.

My wife has limited me to $100.00 per month on my hobby (casting, reloading and shooting) so I have to be patient until I get what I need.

I tried some .309 sized boolits and they just fall into the cases so I know that they'll be undersized and will probably lead the bore like crazy. Glad I only loaded up 8 test rounds. Don't know why I sized them all to .309 since I know that they will lead the bore. Guess I'll end up loading them into .30-06 cases and shootin' 'em out of my M1 Garand. Hope this will give you something to think about. BC

45-70 Chevroner
08-30-2012, 08:42 PM
Some times they will bump up or obturate to bore size when no more than .001 is needed to fill the bore. I'm not sure sub sonic velocitys will do that though. Most of my lee 309 molds through a larger boolit though.

leadloader
08-30-2012, 09:44 PM
i have a 170 gr 309 lee fnrp mold ive loaded a few groups of 5 up just to run over the chronograph there not checked or sized dia is .310ish hopeing these will do like you stated and bump up and not lead like crazy.not sure if the 170 gr will cycle the action at sub sonic levels my target is 950 to 1000 fps i am useing x terminator powder and have thrown a charge of 18.0 ,17.5 ,16.5 ,16.0, i did the same with a 124 gr j word and got 1250 fps with 20.0 gr they would eject but not far enough to load the next round or lock the bolt back so im pretty sure the action will work just dont know about at sub if this bullet shows promise with it being undersized i may gamble on the mold.

45-70 Chevroner
08-31-2012, 02:03 AM
I think if it were me I would get the Lee C312-155-2R it should work very well for what you want to do. You can find loads for that boolit on line and search for Ed. Harris and cast bullet loads for the 7.62X39. He gives a lot of information on loads and cleaning after shooting cast boolits in a semi auto.

leadloader
08-31-2012, 02:56 AM
I think if it were me I would get the Lee C312-155-2R it should work very well for what you want to do. You can find loads for that boolit on line and search for Ed. Harris and cast bullet loads for the 7.62X39. He gives a lot of information on loads and cleaning after shooting cast boolits in a semi auto.

i have that mold and it delivers great accuracy but its to light to cycle the action in a sub sonic loading. ccb had a pretty enlighting chat with me in the chat room about what i could possibly do to make the 300 aac mold drop a bit larger he called it beagleing the mold put a small piece of aluminum tape on the mold and a few thousandths bigger she will drop. so im probaly going with the mold now it just leaves me to the powder issue..

Moonie
08-31-2012, 12:55 PM
I have that 230gr Lee mold, I have used H4895 in my 300AAC upper at around 1050fps, I'd have to look up the load but I believe it was around 14.3gr. Beagling would be a great idea for it to get it up to proper size without permanently modifying the mold. You can also leement the mold but you can't go back.

You might mic the boolits before you do either, they might cast large enough, I haven't mic'ed mine yet.

45-70 Chevroner
08-31-2012, 02:04 PM
Another concern would be getting the 170gr. boolit to cycle through the action or even loading it down in the magazine. It might be too long. You don't want to seat it much more than the thickness of the gas check below the shoulder even that can cause some problems. The ideal seating depth is with the base of the boolit right at the junction of the shoulder. I'm not trying to lead you away from that boolit but just pointing out some problems you might have. I'm asumming you are loading for an SKS or an AK 47.

You might want to check out "Practical Dope on the 7.62X39" this is an artical by C. E. Ed. Harris. It has some loads and great information. Just type it in as I wrote it with out the quotes.

leadloader
08-31-2012, 03:02 PM
no its a ar 15 upper yes i have seated them just a bit passed the kneck of the case but not real deep i usee a lee 170 gr rnfp cast and seated it to the second lube groove i plan a trip to the range in a few hours ill let you guys know how things went

leadloader
08-31-2012, 04:50 PM
well im back things didnt go boom in a bad way. however my choice of powder just isnt gonna cut it... out of all the loads i listed above only the 18.5 would cycle and its at 1395fps so thats a no go never made it to sub levels but with this bullet powder combo i think im giveing up im waiting on the 300 mold and probaly going with some 5744 or 2400 since ive read 44 magnum loads are safe for 7.62x39 due to the same case capacity you guys ever heard this?

Harter66
08-31-2012, 10:39 PM
Ive heard that and fully agreed w/the answer that its foolish based on the 44 being a straight case w/a max operating pressure above 40kpsi (dont beat me up i dont load for it so that may be high) vs the bottle necked case that starts smaller w/a smaller neck.

Ive loaded some 200 gr spire pointed cast boolits plainbased over loads of IMR4350 from 19.5 to 25.5 ,single loaded in an S K S. All of the loads will cycle the action, but i had considerable leading even paper patched beyond the gas port . W/the heaviest loads i achieved 1800 fps. Dont know about the lighter loads there was an accident w/the Chrony.........oopps. I had decent groups, considering the HIGH milage bbl at. 316 .

jdgabbard
09-01-2012, 02:30 AM
If it gives you problems being undersized, you can always just beagle the mold, and that could solve your problem. Or maybe check around for a similar mold that drops to your size.

leadman
09-01-2012, 10:59 PM
I have the Lee 300 AAC mold. I think you will probably end up single loading these as they are very long.
Been shooting these in my 300 Whisper 1 in 8 Contender and my Savage 30-06. Without a gas check they will shoot sub-sonic but don't expect the accuracy to be very good, even at 50 yards. With a gas check the best I have gotten is about 3" or 4" at 100 yards at super sonic speeds. Most of the holes in the targets are oblong, indicating they are not stabilizing well.
You might do better with the Lee 180gr for the Enfield or the Lyman 314299 at 200 grs.
The Lyman boolit shoots real well sub-sonic in my 300 Whisper.

leadloader
09-01-2012, 11:15 PM
bummer i was hopeing these would be able to cycle my action under sub loads i have myself felt that i may have oal issues with this mold have you got a 7.62x39 case leadman? if so please take me a pic of the bullet and the case show me where 2.20 oal would end the bullet up in the case. thanks

leadloader
09-06-2012, 03:02 PM
ok guys ive gotten my mold from the mail lady and casted up a few after looking to see how far i would have to seat for mag length i was unsure they look as if they will work in my bore just unsure if they will work in the mag picture is seaeted to 2.50 clears all mag walls but im worried of the depth. im useing 5744 10.0 gr to start of ..http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/members/35618-dills/albums/random-realoading-more-guns/6780-how-deep-can-you-seat-300-blackout-cast-bullet-7-62x39-case.jpg

leadloader
09-07-2012, 05:42 PM
well i shoot um with 10.0 gr 5744 and chronoed at 958 fps still no cycle of the action but i can shoot without ear pro thinking of uping the charge to 10.5 gr to see if i can get cycleing of the action.... any powders you guys can suggest?

trk
05-04-2013, 09:47 PM
How big does your mould cast the bullets? Mine is UNDER .300 on the bore riding portion.