PDA

View Full Version : Importance of Temperature

Jeff82
08-30-2012, 10:35 AM
I've been casting for about a year and usually make about 300 bullets at a crack, which gets me through a trip to the range. Usually, I adjust the heat of my pot based on how hot the mold feels and how the bullets are coming out. I regulate the heat of the mold itself by resting it on a hot plate while casting.

I'm wondering what advantage I'd gain by using a thermometer. I usually have consistently good results doing what I'm doing, but am wondering if there is anything to be gained by more precise temperature control of the pot.

Any thoughts?

--Jeff

Dan Cash
08-30-2012, 11:28 AM
I will be flamed for this but in my opinion, the answer to your question is NO. You are getting good results now, why change or complicate matters. Your melted alloy either makes good bullets or it doesn't. You have figured how to regulate the temperatures your self.

Jeff82
08-30-2012, 11:31 AM
Dan,

That's kind of what I suspect.

Idaho Sharpshooter
08-30-2012, 11:46 AM
pistol boolits and plinking, who cares.

If, on the other hand, you are casting rifle boolits and want them all in the same spot (as close as you can place them), then you need to eliminate as many variables as possible.
Alloy consistency from batch to batch, temperature control (ever have a pot of lead with a blueish or gold tinge on the surface?), a cadence to the casting, that sort of stuff.

It is entirely a matter of how good is "good enough".

regards,

Rich
Sua Sponte

lwknight
08-30-2012, 05:20 PM
Thermometers are cheap enough. You may not use it all the time but is a great helper.
Once you start monitoring the temperatures you will find the low workable point and adjust your cadence accordingly. Excessive heat will cost you time in waiting for casts to set up so you lose productivity.

Also most furnaces are not usually real accurate on temperatures. As the pot lowers the temp goes up and when you assault the pot with a cold ingot you get cold again. A thermometer can increase production. And most importantly of all , the majority of us just like gadgets to play and learn with.