PDA

View Full Version : Pre-WWII Marlin 94 in 38-40 question....

Harry O
08-30-2012, 10:04 AM
A local gunshop has one for sale at what seems like a reasonable price. I already shoot a Uberti/Win 1873 clone in 38-40 at CAS.

The barrel of the Marlin is rough, but still has strong rifling. I have shot other guns with barrels like this and found that accuracy is not much of a problem, but that cleaning is harder. The outer bluing is in poor shape. The wood is worn, but usable.

I took some dummy 38-40 cartridges to the gunshop and asked if I could cycle them through. They said yes. It took 10 rounds (required for CAS). However, it would not eject any of them. In checking it afterward, there was no extractor in the gun at all. I don't know if any other internal parts are missing or damaged, but the trigger return spring and mainsprings are there.

Does anyone know if the present day parts for a Marlin 94 fit the old model, or are they close enough that a gunsmith could get them to work?

pietro
08-30-2012, 10:53 AM
IDK if the newer generation Model 1894 parts will work, but there are several purveyors of repro & NOS original Marlin Model 1894 parts, like Wisner's, Bob's Gun Parts, and possibly Numrich Arms.