PDA

View Full Version : Savage Model 25?

Plinkster
08-30-2012, 08:10 AM
I've been thinking about trying cast in my Savage Model 25 in .223, does anyone shoot cast in theirs? Or any other Savage in .223? I've not slugged or chamber cast this rifle yet since I've only been running J's in it so I thought I'd see if anyone had a good performer as far as molds go. I do know it's a 1 in 9" twist and I'd like to go as heavy as is practical. I plan on doing an impact cast of the chamber to be sure of what I have before ordering anything but I thought I'd toss out the question to see if any had experience with this little rifle and boolits. From what I've read of casting for .223 I may regret taking on this challenge but it pains me to have to shell out cash for those tiny boxes of copper lol.

Jack Stanley
08-30-2012, 08:50 AM
I bought a Stevens model two hundred chambered in .223 and cast for it . It has been pretty easy to get along with since I had the plastic stock lined with epoxy around the reciever .

Powders have been light charges of Bullseye up to moderate ones with 2400 . I'm sure your rifle will work with about anything in the fifty to sixty grain range . Mine even liked the little forty grain round nose .

Jack

1Shirt
08-30-2012, 11:44 AM
Have a stevens in 223 and 308. Both good cast shooters, but both have lousy triggers that are tough to learn to control.
1Shirt!

Rusty W
08-30-2012, 07:47 PM
I've shot a few cast through my Stevens 200 in .223. It is a little different casting these little bitty boolits compared to a .44 or .45 cal. The rifle shoots pretty good so far. Haven't had a chance to extend the range yet but will soon.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=116335&page=9

Plinkster
08-31-2012, 03:26 AM
Thanks for the input guys, looks like its too bad I missed out on the NOE group buy. Been eyeballing the Lee Bator that midsouth has though and maybe I'll look at another GB depending on how the Lee shoots for me.