PDA

View Full Version : using rosin

mister c
08-30-2012, 02:23 AM
does anyone use rosin on thr inside of rongs to keep scope from slipping?...............mister c

Jeff Michel
08-30-2012, 03:35 AM
I'd try a bit of paper shim or electrical tape first (small piece) between the scope and the ring, cut them small enough and you'll never see it. Do the top and bottom of the ring, you don"t want shim your scope off center.

DaveCampbell
08-30-2012, 07:44 AM
I've been using rosin on the inside of scope rings for years. Never had one move. It doesn't take much, just enough to look as if it has started to "rust."

Spector
08-30-2012, 09:49 AM
I read an article written by Ross Seyfreid some years back. He advocated using the liquid electical tape product that 3-M makes. I think he spead it inside the rings and then tightened the scope into place. I recall he said it did not slip under extreme recoil and reqired less ring tightness on the scope. The excess that oozes from between the scope and rings is simply trimmed off.

I bought another manufascturers liquid electical product in black color, but have not actually tried the process yet. The product he used was definitely made by 3-M though........Mike

KCSO
08-30-2012, 10:50 AM
I personaly never rosin my rongs in public but I do occasionaly ream my rings. No with most scopes having aluminum tubes and most rings clamping tight enough to bend said rings I see no reason to rosin. Most of the guns I see here have the rings over tightened anyway. Simple clean rings properly tightened will hold the recoil of a 50 BMG rifle.

mister c
08-31-2012, 12:40 AM
thanks everybody for their input on rosin...............mister c

B R Shooter
08-31-2012, 07:30 AM
I'd try a bit of paper shim or electrical tape first (small piece) between the scope and the ring, cut them small enough and you'll never see it. Do the top and bottom of the ring, you don"t want shim your scope off center.

This is such an excepted "fix" for rings, but nothing could be worse to do to a scope. When you add something in the rings, you change the ID of them, and they won't match the scope's OD. When they are tightened, something gives, and it's usually the scope.

The right way to install a scope/rings is to align them, then lap them for a good fit which takes down high spots (ever wonder why so many scope have ring marks).

Using rosin is fine if you wish, it only takes a light dusting, almost invisible.

frankenfab
09-01-2012, 11:06 AM
Burris Signature rings are about all I use now.

In the case of an application where I have to use a different type of ring, they do get lapped. Either way, the scope and rings (and Burris inserts) get gleaned with alchohol prior to final assembly.

2152hq
09-01-2012, 02:09 PM
I've always put a dusting of rosin on the rings before final assembly. So light a coating you can still see the metal color through it.
Lapping the rings is a great help. Most are out of line once they are in the bases and secured to the rifle.

I don't think it matters much now,,but some aluminum tube scopes used to have uneven finishes on some of them. The anodize(?) wasn't exactly a smooth coating,,maybe it was something they applied over it,,a sealer perhaps. But the rosin really helped in those cases too.

Just don't get carried away with the stuff. It's not meant to make up for a bad fit between rings and tube,,just enhance an already good one.

nanuk
09-02-2012, 11:32 AM
This is such an excepted "fix" for rings, but nothing could be worse to do to a scope. When you add something in the rings, you change the ID of them, and they won't match the scope's OD. ...

I bought a Brand New Ruger 77MkII in .338WinMag years ago

the SS rings were so grossly oversized that friction paper on bottom and top would not hold my Leupold scope.

"smith then put 2 layers of friction paper... same thing, scope slid forward on 3 firings.

so I took it upon myself to mount the dang thing.

I cleaned it up, and put it together and with the rings TIGHT, there was visible light all around the scope, and enough play that you could wiggle it L/R

it too 2 pieces of electrical tape, top and bottom to bring the ID down to where it was a snug fit on the scope, with some room on the screw bolsters for tightening.

I filed off a bit more, and snugged 'er up with nail polish on the screws. Scope was mounted nicely then and NEVER moved again after many hundreds of rounds.

not all scope rings are made to a perfect fit, to say otherwise is misleading. One really needs to check the fit before tightening up the screws.

in my case, no amount of lapping/reaming etc would have helped.

as an aside, I have Leupold rings for my leupold scope on a Ruger 1B. A more perfect fit could not be found... the lower halves will hold the scope inverted.

I will NEVER by Ruger Rings again!

mister c
09-02-2012, 04:11 PM
thanks everybody for the inputs, i could'nt find rosin anywhere except sports authority and it was abag full for ball teams pitchers and batters use......mister c.

B R Shooter
09-03-2012, 06:34 AM
I bought a Brand New Ruger 77MkII in .338WinMag years ago

the SS rings were so grossly oversized that friction paper on bottom and top would not hold my Leupold scope.

"smith then put 2 layers of friction paper... same thing, scope slid forward on 3 firings.

so I took it upon myself to mount the dang thing.

I cleaned it up, and put it together and with the rings TIGHT, there was visible light all around the scope, and enough play that you could wiggle it L/R

it too 2 pieces of electrical tape, top and bottom to bring the ID down to where it was a snug fit on the scope, with some room on the screw bolsters for tightening.

I filed off a bit more, and snugged 'er up with nail polish on the screws. Scope was mounted nicely then and NEVER moved again after many hundreds of rounds.

not all scope rings are made to a perfect fit, to say otherwise is misleading. One really needs to check the fit before tightening up the screws.

in my case, no amount of lapping/reaming etc would have helped.

as an aside, I have Leupold rings for my leupold scope on a Ruger 1B. A more perfect fit could not be found... the lower halves will hold the scope inverted.

I will NEVER by Ruger Rings again!

Nanuk, I fully agree! I bought Ruger rings for my Redhawk years ago, and I could not believe they could make them SO BAD! So here's a no-fail trick. Bed them!

Rough up the inside of the rings, not that these need any roughing. Use your scope as the mold, use some shoe polish, Johnson's Paste wax, etc. and coat the scope tube at least twice to make sure you didn't miss any place. And coat the screws too. You can use stock bedding or JB weld, any 2 part paste type epoxy. Once done, mix up the epoxy, give the bottoms a nice even smear, set the scope in there, then smear on the epoxy to the top rings. Set the tops down, align the screws and start the screws but don't tighten them to where the top and bottom rings make contact, leave a little space. Use q-tips with vinegar or WD40, clean up all what squeezes out, then let it set overnight. You'll have a perfectly matched fit between scope and rings.

nanuk
09-03-2012, 10:17 AM
Nanuk, I fully agree! ... So here's a no-fail trick. Bed them!

A GREAT Idea.

thanks for that.

I WILL remember that!