PDA

View Full Version : How can i tell my rifles twist rate?

why.kyle
08-30-2012, 01:01 AM
I have my dads Winchester Model 70 in 30-06, and if I remember right the serial number was from the 70s.
The best info I can find tells me its a 1 in 10
Can anyone confirm this?

And if anyone wants to chime in on what the range of loads this can stabilize. I understand fairly well how it works in an AR and what it can do there.. but not sure how it scales with these bigger rifles.

Silver Jack Hammer
08-30-2012, 01:29 AM
Take rod with the appropriate sized jag with a patch. Put a piece of tape on the rod. Stick the rod in the bore and measure how many inches it travels to make one twist. That's your twist rate.

why.kyle
08-30-2012, 01:41 AM
I didn't think it could be that easy. Thanks! I'll give it a try

Norbrat
08-30-2012, 09:06 AM
And if anyone wants to chime in on what the range of loads this can stabilize. I understand fairly well how it works in an AR and what it can do there.. but not sure how it scales with these bigger rifles.

Greenhills Formula will get you close. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_George_Greenhill

Basically, the length of the bullet/boolit is the deciding factor.

KCSO
08-30-2012, 10:45 AM
Look down the bore and turn your head rapidly and when the grooves look straight then count how many turns per minute and divide by the caliber and then multiply by your age.

Or... Put a tight fitting patch on a solid cleaning rod and run it down the bore. Take a magic marker and put a dot on the top of the rod right at the muzzle. Pull it out slowly and when the dot is on top again measure how far it has come out of the bore. If the dot is 10" from the muzzle the twist is 1-10 ect.

1Shirt
08-30-2012, 11:31 AM
Jim, would need a calculator, after I got dizzy! Right after I came in from my snipe hunt with the bag and flashlight.

Will just have to stick with the old rod trick I guess!
1Shirt!:coffee:

Silver Jack Hammer
08-30-2012, 11:38 AM
Don't do what KCSO says, I tried that and I wrecked my pick up truck!

popper
09-01-2012, 12:58 PM
Is it stamped on the barrel?

John Boy
09-06-2012, 08:17 PM
Only on today's quality after market barrels. never seen it stamped on old originals or replicas

softpoint
09-09-2012, 09:52 PM

LOL:mrgreen:, That right there's funny, I don't care who 'ya are.......

Griz44mag
09-15-2012, 02:14 AM

Darn, now I gotta clean the rum and tonic off the keyboard.