PDA

View Full Version : New to casting need everything?

ThaJoeManOne
08-29-2012, 09:53 PM
So I purchased my first gun 6 months ago(ROCK ISLAND ARMORY FULL SIZE 1911 45), and I'm hooked. I want to shoot more and my wife doesn't let me spend much at all. I have a real knack for it and would like to shoot USPSA. With a tight budget the best way to get better is shoot more and casting is the best way to save money, get better and shoot more. I have about 250 once fired cases that I shot so far and that is all I have as far as components. I would like to get a lee loadmaster progressive, because I could load a fair amount of bullets and not spend a ton of money for it.

So that's current situation.

I have been doing a ton of research and found out wheel weights.are the way to go cheap, because I don't have the luxury of getting my fired lead back. The problem is that they don't use lead for wheel weights anymore and I cant find any. What can I do to get me some lead, any ideas?

Also anybody got a lee loadmaster progressive for sell at a reasonable price to help out a noob like me?

Thanks for your time and really like what I have seen on hear so far.
Joey

TomBulls
08-29-2012, 10:42 PM
If you're gonna let your wife tell you what you're allowed to do, then why ask us?

1) Go get a used single stage press. It's not as slow as you think, and it is MUCH more affordable at the outset.

2) Read the reloading manuals and learn how to reload.

3) Go buy a Lee mould, a cast iron furnace pot, and a lead dipper.

4) Load your ammo.

5) Stop asking your wife for permission.

John in WI
08-29-2012, 10:42 PM
Hi Joey--welcome to the addiction! I started about 3 months ago, and I have a raging "problem" at the moment.

I've never loaded for the .45, but make sure to read up on the "Lead and Lead Alloys" section--wheel weights are great, but getting more and more scarce. And in many places lead WW is banned outright. If you're desperate for it, there are some vendors on Cast Boolits who deliver excellent WW ingots at fair prices. I'm afraid the days of getting 5-gallon pails for free are coming to an end.

Short of that, get creative, and if it contains lead, bring it home and then ask the people on Cast Boolits A) What is this? and B) How do I make boolits out of it?

I thought I would have an impossible time finding lead but over just 3 or 4 months I've amassed several hundred pounds. Lead ballast from a fork lift, chunks of lead pipe, a couple of old isotope boxes... Just ask everyone you can think of. My best score actually came from a chemistry professor who put me in touch with the campus "hazardous material" person.

500MAG
08-29-2012, 10:55 PM
Tom is right. Jumping in with a progressive press could get you in trouble. I've been loading for 30 years and 3 out of my 5 presses are not progressive. There is a lot going on with a progressive press and if your not experienced you may not charge a round or make another mistake that could possibly blow up your gun and injure yourself. A single stage or a turret press is great to start with. You can find many guys on here that can load very fast with a turret press. Lead wheel weights are still readily available. I always recommend a Lyman reloading manual. Also, if you think your going to save money by reloading your own, you may be single before you know it. It's an addiction. Good luck and get to loadin.

ThaJoeManOne
08-30-2012, 04:50 PM
I apppreciate the feedback. I understand your point about progressive loading. The reason I want progressive is you can as a beginner get it at a cost within reason and you can scale down the processing to meet skill level. As I get better I can go faster. I have done my homework and understand the entire process from lead alloy to finished bullet.
I'm hoping to get feedback on how to get the lead, where do you go, best ways to make contacts?

Once again thanks for the feedback.

Now for the comment about my wife, I respect my wife and the budget that we have. I am a man but I'm not a neanderthal, so I'm mature enough to accept my wife's budget.

lwknight
08-30-2012, 05:07 PM
Now for the comment about my wife, I respect my wife and the budget that we have. I am a man but I'm not a neanderthal, so I'm mature enough to accept my wife's budget.

It is definitely commendable for people to keep the priorities in order. Things like rent, electricity , car payment , savings plan , diapers and so on.

I bet that if you let your wife know just how much you love shooting and show her the cost and then what you can get out of your money by reloading and casting she would actually help you acquire the needful goods.

But, a guy also has to have some "Man " money , be it 25 , 30 or whatever bucks a week. When you buy,sell, trade and barter you can get your part free and best of all , the wife will lose track of whatever you are doing.

Wheel weight and lead hunting has become a real sport of its own. You might have to spend a few bucks but be patient and diligent. You will eventually amass a quantity of alloys for your hobby.

ssnow
08-30-2012, 07:18 PM
To begin, lead WW are still being made, and still in widespread use. Several states have now banned lead WW, and more have legislation pending that will ban them if passed. There are those pushing for a 50 state federal ban, to avoid trying to pass legislation in all those states. However, it has not happened yet. But I would say, that the writing is on the wall.

Obviously, most WW will be found at tire shops, some may be found at the scrap yards. In states that have banned the lead WW, the tire shops cannot install new lead weights. However, they are still taking off some lead weights, but the percentage is much lower,and eventually will fall to practically no lead at all. One needs to consider this against the price, and be aware of this if you are in, or near such states.

Just about every place that sells new tires, is generating scrap lead WW. Some will sell them, some will give them away for free. Others cannot sell them to the public, due to company/corporate policy, or they save them for themselves, or for a friend/specific buyer. Then there is the matter of timing, when you find a shop that will sell them, you have to be there at the right time, or someone else gets them.

You will not know, until you stop and talk to them. You will have more failures than success, but even knowing which shops will not sell them, saves you the time and trouble of stopping there again. Open the phone book and look up all the places that sell tires, and then pay them a visit.

The next item; tell all your friends what you are looking for, you never know what may turn up. They may know someone at a tire shop, or other business that generates lead scrap. Some shops will give them to friends, when they would not sell to a stranger. It takes some work to develop a network of suppliers, but it can be done.

Bullet Caster
08-30-2012, 08:08 PM
Good luck with your finding lead. That seems to be my problem at the present. I've sent some business to a local tire shop and plan to go by there in the near future to see if my referals have done any good. Time will tell. Good luck on your quest for lead. BC

Wayne Smith
08-30-2012, 08:34 PM
You can typically find a good, used single stage press on eBay for less that $30.00. For that matter, you can buy the small, single stage Lee press for less than that. Very adequate for loading 45ACP or any other pistol cartridge. To get started that is all you need for a press. You can make all your initial mistakes slowly and discover how simple it is to make mistakes reloading.

You can get a good scale off eBay for a few bucks, usually. The RCBS 505 is a good one to start with, and if anything goes wrong (unlikely, but possible) they will replace it free. Press, dies, and a powder scale is all you need for a simple start up. That and components, of course. Dies for the 45ACP are so frequently available on eBay that you are likely to have a choice of three brands at once. Lyman is your first choice because it will come with the M die. If the RCBS comes with their expander it is a good buy too.

To cast simply you need a place where you can make a mess - that is critical. You need a heat source, and a single burner Coleman camping stove is what I have used for the last few years after my Dad's old two burner died. I have this hooked up to a 20 gal gas tank, refill this about once a year. You need an old one quart Stainless Steel cooking pot or something like that to melt your lead and a dipper to dip and fill the mold. Lyman or RCBS dipper is highly recommended. You need an old towel or something similar to drop the boolits on. This is by far the cheapest way to start casting, and I've been doing it this way for the past about 15 years, since I started.

You can get some of what you need at your local thrift store. If you melt ww's you will need a way to get the steel clips out, and an old steel holed spoon works well. Old candle wax works well for flux if you don't do woodwork.

Since you are doing this on a budget (and who doesn't?) you may need to start gradually. I recommend that you start with loading, perhaps with the small aluminium Lee press that I think sells for something like $9.95? or is it 19.95? Cheap, anyway. I have been loading since 16 years old and am now 59years old with an earned Doctorate. I have never used anything but a single stage press except I have recently been using an old Bair Brown Bair three hole press, doing one to three things at once. I've made some mistakes, too!

I greatly respect your relationship with your wife, I have the same relationship with mine. Responsibility is to the family first. However, once you show her the savings of loading, and then of making your own boolits, she is likely to come around. Mine was amazed a couple of years ago when I showed her how much ammo costs compared to my costs, and that is after amortizing the cost of equipment.

garym1a2
08-30-2012, 10:27 PM
Get a lee clasic cast turrent press. It has decent speed (200rpm) and is easy to usr. I own a loadmaster and a classic turrent. the turrent is a much better press,

D Crockett
08-30-2012, 10:41 PM
I have herd of people dip casting out of rhe same pot they cleaned there lead in I used to do 50 cal bullets that way . all you need is a pot to melt your lead in a mould and a way to lube the bullets if you get the right mould .I will send you a pm with some info you might could use D Crockett

Gliden07
08-31-2012, 01:20 AM
Hi Joemanone! I just started casting and making my own ammunition in the last month or so for my Kimber. I shoot in a IDPA league at my local club. Notice I said "started casting and making ammunition in the last month!" I lurked around here and joind a few months back. I collected my equipment over the few months prior to actually doing it.

My suggestion to you would be to:

1) Get at least 1 good reloading book (I got the Lyman 49th). You can read while your accumulating materials.

2) Check out all the drawers in your house, Garage the local thrift stores etc... for all the incidentals, spoons, pots, Turkey fryer, saftey equipment etc... You'll be surprised at the stuff you already have!

3) Fill in the blanks you need to start. Sure it would be great to get a 20LB bottem pour RCBS pot but I was on a tight budget too. I bought a Lyman 4lb dipper pot from a member on here for $15!! Make a list and check things off as you get them.

4) Lots of people on here don't like Lee products. I have had no problems with there stuff and to be honest if it was'nt for them I'd still be collecting stuff! I had a budget too and stayed well within its limits by using Lee products!

5) Your gonna get a lot of opinions on a press Single Stage VS Progressive. I was givin a Lee Pro 1000 Progressive for free so thats what I am using. Had I read all the negitive press on these loaders I would have never taken it. I have been using it like a turret press 1 round at a time and checking every powder charge for piece of mind until I get better at what I'm doing. But I must admit I rebuilt it and understand how it works, it did take a lot of tweaking though.

6) In retrospect if I was to do it over again I would probably have gotten a Single Stage press to start with (I do have a SS Press from Lee to size my Boolits). Probably a Lee Classic or an RCBS Rockchucker I would have probably bought it used somewhere. Swappin and Selling section is great for deals as well as Craigslist.

7) As far as finding a source for lead. Get creative hit all the tire stores and mechanics in your area large and small (my last score was a small local mechanic and after sorting netted me 90LBS of WW!! not bad for a 12 pack of Bud Light!!) Plumbers, Electricians, People that work at phone company you'd be amazed who has access to lead. And by asking people you might get a lead!!

8) Probably the most important!! ASK QUESTIONS HERE!!!! The people on this site have a wealth of information and years of experiance and every question I had as stupid as it sounded was always answered with a respectful answer and concern for your well being (so you don't do anything dumb!!). I can't say enough about the people on here!!

Good luck and Happy Casting!!

Boyscout
08-31-2012, 05:12 PM
Lee molds are a good inexpensive way to get started. I've done very well with the 452-200-SWC. You can tumble or pan lube until you save up for a lubri sizer. Get a single stage press. You will eventually want one after buying a turret press. They are good for working up loads and experimention. You won't want to be changing your settings all the time just to try something different. I use my my turret press for .45 ACP almost exclusively. My RCBS Special gets used for everything else. I used a Lee 10-Production Pot when I started but I'm begining to use a pot and ladle more often now. I may go back and forth just like my presses. There are things I like about both of them. Buy a good mold and good dies and expand as the budget allows.

Master Chief
08-31-2012, 06:38 PM
All good advice so far. I'll add:
Check CraigsList for lead. I have only been on here a month and I have already collected 1300lbs of lead. My one biggest hit was off CraigsList.

John Boy
08-31-2012, 06:44 PM
How to Reload ...
** http://www.alpharubicon.com/leo/howtoreload.html
** http://www.handloads.com/articles/default.asp?id=33

Where to Buy Lead
* Here in the Classifieds
* Ebay
* http://www.rotometals.com/Bullet-Casting-Alloys-s/5.htm

kbstenberg
08-31-2012, 07:22 PM
Joe you mite look into finding a local guy (hand loader, caster, shooter) to help you get started. The learning curve is much better and faster that way.
If you want to take a trip to Minn. I could help you.
Kevin

montana_charlie
08-31-2012, 08:38 PM
Good answer.
His comment may be very common among the White Nationalists at Stormfront-dot-org.
CM

xd4584
08-31-2012, 09:45 PM

Are you married?

mac1911
09-01-2012, 01:43 PM
if your wife is not happy with you spending money YOU might have a hard time getting her to see the saveings even though you will shell out a hundred or so to get rolling. IF your going to by LEE pro 1000 BUY NEW. No need for someone elses problems.
Find a single stage press for 50.00, lee die set for 30. buy some cast boolits 1st. See if you like loading at all. Sometimes its easier to work a few extra hours. I have down time and really like reloading/casting/smelting.
Got lead ? should come out of your mouth often. I been bumping into older gents who would rather now just go shoot than fiddle with casting and reloading. I get all the gear I can from them.

bumpo628
09-01-2012, 06:00 PM
For reloading, I think the bare min is:

Reloading manual
Press
Scale
Powder measure
Die set
Caliper
Bullet impact puller
Tumbler & media

I recommend the Lyman 49th manual, Lee single stage or turret press alum or classic cast), balance beam scale (like Dillon Eliminator), Lee pro auto disk powder measure, and a Lee 3 die set. Turret presses are nice since they can be used like a single stage if desired and you can get a turret for each die set you have.

For casting, you can get by with:

Pot & Heat source
Ladle and/or skimmer
Boolit mold
Bullet sizer & LLA for tumble lubing

I think it's best to use ingotized metal so you don't have to bother with smelting at first. I recommend starting out with a 20 lb Lee dipper or bottom pour melting pot. Lee melting pots are $50 to $60, Lee molds are $20 inc. handles, Lyman or RCBC ladles are $20 to $25. If you go with the bottom pour pot, then of course you don't need a ladle. You can use a cheap slotted spoon as a skimmer. Lee boolit sizers go in the reloading press and they are inexpensive ($19) and simple. They also come with enough Lee Liquid Alox (LLA) to do about 1000 boolits.

That doesn't mean you don't have to start looking for WWs or other sources of lead. When you start smelting, you'll want to use a different pot/pan/dutch oven to keep your casting pot clean.

WILCO
09-02-2012, 09:27 PM
If you're gonna let your wife tell you what you're allowed to do, then why ask us?

I was very disappointed to see the above post. Not the norm for this forum and it's high standards. A correction would be nice to see.

GT27
09-02-2012, 09:44 PM
Junk yards for cars, and old tire shops!This is where I've had the best returns for usable lead! Good call,family first,then guns!GT27

mac1911
09-09-2012, 08:35 PM
I made a deal with my wife that I don't use "house " money for my hobbies. I trade barter sell( I sold a good amount of stuff on ebay before my kids where born. I supported my trap shooting habbit. I sold anything that could be reasonably shipped.
If you drop the price of molds I think I might have 75.00 tied up in smelting/casting equipment
Used turkey fryer burner, resporator and some welding gloves made up the bulk of that 75.00

My wife is still funny about the gun/reloading/casting thing. One way or another I'm going to shoot. It just depends on how much and how often. Reloading/casting affords me at least shooting more when I go!
Before the kids I was averageing 2k year. I saved up 1k cash for my budget.
Purchased hornady single stage kit. All the dies for my needs. The needed case prep items and enough bullets powders and primers to last several years....
one thing I started do to save a little cash is sell myself my own reloads. Sounds funny but it works.
I was spending about 18.00 per 50 on 45 acp. Shooting at least 10 boxes per year 180.00 bucks. It cost me 3.00 box to load. I stick 5 bucks a box in the bank....figure the time I need to order more bullets/ primer/powder/lead I will have another budget.

John Wayne
09-10-2012, 05:47 PM
One of the best things I ever did was enroll my wife and one of her friends in a learn to shoot 2 day course. Don't try to teach her yourself. She shoots in competion now. Gun expenditures, no problem. The other advice I've read here is spot on.

jburris2001
11-28-2012, 12:03 AM
its all about family. always remember " must keep the wife happy, if you want to be happy yourself". I buy, sell, and trade all the time. just did some trading and got the wife a compact .45 for christmas. she's real happy right now. Found a complete reloading setup the next day for $50. She had no objections to me going and getting it. I love this sport/hobby, but most of all I love my wife and kid more.

PS Paul
11-28-2012, 02:23 AM
Welcome, Joeman! Have you got all set up yet? I see this thread is a few weeks old..... Let us know how you did and what you got set up with.

I've been married 21 years and I'm smart enough to know that spending money on our "thing" is definitely a compromise!!So far my wife has not used my spending as "leverage", but we have an understanding about "our moeny" versus "her money"- bills and casting/shooting stuff comes from "our" money, and she spends "her" money on shoes, clothes, hair care, makeup AND spoiling my two terrific kids. ha-ha!! "My money"? I don't have much left of that when I finish paying all the bills, but I do sometimes keep things from her, UNLESS I got some particular mold, tool or toy for a great price. Makes life more interesting, you know?

jfischer
11-28-2012, 09:09 AM
Trading is the way to go, no cash out pocket so no upset wife. Plus I always feel better on a trade than a cash purchase.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

a.squibload
11-30-2012, 04:23 AM
For many years I used a camp stove & a
quart-size enamel pot. Made a propane
burner but still use the enamel pot for
casting, you could probably get one for
50 cents or a buck fifty at a thrift store.
Don't forget garage sales!