PDA

View Full Version : Die won't go

lastborn
08-29-2012, 01:18 PM
Why won't my Lyman H.I. dies fit m RCBS LAM II? They will not go all the way in. The die nut lacks about 5/16ths screwing all the way down. I can use it but it's aggravating. It's not cross threaded and the lube is not holding it out.:killingpc
thanks

1hole
08-29-2012, 02:53 PM
I dunno. ??

Bent Ramrod
08-29-2012, 03:50 PM
I have an old Lachmiller that takes nearly every Ideal, Lyman and RCBS size die I put into it. The one or two that don't quite seat all the way down are not noticeably longer or larger in diameter than the ones that do. All I can think is that there is some bump or projection on the inside of the lubesizer casting that just impinges on the unfortunate couple of dies that do not fully seat. I admit I haven't measured everything to thousandths to see where the dimension problem is.

Fortunately I can use those dies (and all the others, too) in others in my lubsizer accumulation. If not, I would have to boil out the lube and test the insides with the die to see where it is stopping, then grind it away with a Dremel, if necessary. Or else measure the offending dies and cut them down.

Wayne Smith
08-30-2012, 12:25 PM
As long as you can lube boolits, the die doesn't move, and it doesn't leak lube you are home free. You know the die is bottomed out in the casting.

.22-10-45
08-30-2012, 05:13 PM
Don't take it personally, lastborn..I have an older Lyman 45 & older still Ideal No. 1, 1892, that some Lyman sizers are too tight. Just a case of miss-matched tolerances over the years.